Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Rare coin rewards, Xanadu Ore redistribution!

Traders are so screwed. HA HA HA SUCKERS

Where would we be without Radni's intelligent responses.

Where would we be without Radni's intelligent responses.

Pfft I don't know what you're talking about.

This is amazing.  Might actually work.  Gets the cash out there and for the most part it is likely going to people who won't reduce their silver purchases from the store so Wurm development should be secure.

Don't think we know yet which pool of money this is from though so hard to say if it will impact trader earnings.  If the sell to token pool dries up and coins are still being found, I'd venture trader income is impacted.

If it is, I expect some deeds will be downsized.  However players who never would have had a deed or bought that tool otherwise now will.  It should level out into a much more even distribution.

Thanks Rolf!

Question regarding the ore redistribution:

What does "undiscovered" mean? That it has never been prospected? Never been uncovered (adjacent tile mined out)? Never been mined?

Now, if only we could get a mob redistribution also...

Edited by LaRue

This is very intriguing, I would love to see an update a month from now on how this seems to work compared to the older system. (Six months from now is probably more accurate results).

Sounds like an interesting chance to compare how "trickle up economics" works compared to "trickle down economics". Before mostly players with money could invest to make even more money. Some would sell their income from gold coins for reallife cash and others would buy bigger deeds, rare items, priest accounts, high levelled character accounts  etc. It all went back into the system and circulated, but still mostly favored a small number of people who could afford to participate on a larger scale. Now its more random and aimed more at "street level players". Sounds like young new poor players now have a decent chance to earn their premium, invest in a small "deed stake" homestead, and actually buy some low grade tools, which could overall increase the number of them who stay with the game and over time start buying sillver to maintain their small homesteads and characters.

Or maybe not. Maybe it won't work very well at all and all we did was drive off longtime players who spent large sums of real life dollars every month.  Which is better, 5 players who spend $500 each or 500 players who spend $5 each? I frankly do not know.

Still, an excellent chance for some ROLFSCIENCE instead of just ROLFTHEORY.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4

I'm not happy.

Isn't this pool from the deed upkeep? At least with traders the silver was being returned to the players who were paying for deeds in the first place. If this messes with my trader earnings. I'll be forced to disband my deeds.

Good. You, like many people only kept a bunch of deeds on various servers to abuse the trader mechanics for profit. It didn't contribute anything to the game, so don't pretend like you were "paying" for anything.

Fantastic idea!

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out. :)

For those unsure where the funds come from, they are taken directly from the same funds the trader gets

Good. You, like many people only kept a bunch of deeds on various servers to abuse the trader mechanics for profit. It didn't contribute anything to the game, so don't pretend like you were "paying" for anything.

Abuse?  Thanks for accusing without knowing anything.

Profit?  Is making 0-4s and using it on upkeep profit?

Edited by MrGARY

Think about what it takes to make your 5c per hour earnings even with 11i corpses that takes 45/46 of them to make the 5c and even less with lower ql things.  Now on top of that you have to sit there and sell the 45 items with a 3sec timer on each one it is a huge time sink.  I used 69ql corn for my test and at my 7i per corn that took 72 to make my 5c and 5 min to sell it all with key binds. It seems like a lot of work to me so i guess it wont be used by everyone at that rate.  

Edited by Kegan

Good change.

Sure, a few people used to trader draining will not like it but we can safely ignore their complaining. This change allows new players to Wurm to get some coins and buy their gear with it.

• Like 1

rare coins

I like the accessibility . It seems the diversity of paying tasks are withing the purview of many different play styles.

It's more fun the just giving out coins like many suggested. It makes people do some work for the coin. It will put coins in more people's hands and that should help spur more spending. These hands getting the coins, I'm betting they will be more likely to frivolously spend then use the coin to pay deed upkeep or buy premium with silver. Deed upkeep and silver-for-premium are expenditures that don't help the economy. 

Its difficult to metagame this feature so I expect players won't start expecting the payouts to subsidize their gaming expenses. In the future all payout tasks should NOT be things that you can just stand in one spot and do it over and over. For example: dig and drop dirt, or pave and destroy pavement.

• Like 5

rare coins

I like the accessibility . It seems the diversity of paying tasks are withing the purview of many different play styles.

It's more fun the just giving out coins like many suggested. It makes people do some work for the coin. It will put coins in more people's hands and that should help spur more spending. These hands getting the coins, I'm betting they will be more likely to frivolously spend then use the coin to pay deed upkeep or buy premium with silver. Deed upkeep and silver-for-premium are expenditures that don't help the economy. 

Its difficult to metagame this feature so I expect players won't start expecting the payouts to subsidize their gaming expenses. In the future all payout tasks should NOT be things that you can just stand in one spot and do it over and over. For example: dig and drop dirt, or pave and destroy pavement.

What.

This is essentially free money for doing things people normally do, vs maintaining a trader for small amounts of money(now probably near 0).

Go hunting, get a couple silver in a couple hours, work a trader for a month, get a couple silver.

If anything I would think more people would expect to have their gaming expenses subsidized with this system.

• Like 1

Question regarding the ore redistribution:

What does "undiscovered" mean? That it has never been prospected? Never been uncovered (adjacent tile mined out)? Never been mined?

I have quickly checked one of my mine areas that has ore veins I have located but not uncovered by mining open next to it. I think that those veins are still there, but there are additional veins there too including an ore type I didn't have before. I will investigate more later but for now it seems undiscovered means they were not found by mining or by analysing/prospecting.

loving this coin thing :)

[01:37:24] A small round copper coin. This is a fantastic example of the item, with fascinating design details and perfect ideas for functionality.

• Like 1

People invest 50s into a trader and get 1-5s per month back, this is apparently bad and people demand a change

People can now just simply kill animals, something they'd do anyway, and get so far almost 2s in a couple hours.  Potentially much better, potentially much worse.  This is apparently good and we're happy.

What.

This.

I also don't really understand how this can be considered a balanced feature if people are able to get 1s within a hour or so of just playing the game (ie not interacting with other players or putting effort in to specifically bring in silver) what incentive is there for people to purchase traders or craft items for other players if instead they can just hunt and get the same amount of coins in the process?

Also as the kings coffers on each server are generally quite low; Xanadu has boosted it a bit and Chaos hangs around 30-40s for example but usually it's like 10s if you are lucky; if the entire playerbase is going to constantly have a chance at taking silver from the coffers it's going to get depleted extremely quickly in which case this is essentially a severe nerf on traders in stealth.

I'll wait and see how it goes but I hope Rolf considers a option to refund traders if it changes their payouts considerably.

• Like 1

Also as the kings coffers on each server are generally quite low; Xanadu has boosted it a bit and Chaos hangs around 30-40s for example but usually it's like 10s if you are lucky; if the entire playerbase is going to constantly have a chance at taking silver from the coffers it's going to get depleted extremely quickly in which case this is essentially a severe nerf on traders in stealth.

I see you understood the money redistribution fix. People with traders have taken advantage of everyone else long enough, about time it got nerfed.  Buying traders was never about crafting items and interacting with players, that's what merchants are for. Traders were used 100% to collect other peoples money with no effort. Finally there's a more democratic way to redistribute. Let's hope it works and trader income goes down to close to 0, except for the return on direct sales to that specific trader (which is really how it should be).

Edited by Judicator
  • Like 2

People invest 50s into a trader and get 1-5s per month back, this is apparently bad and people demand a change

People can now just simply kill animals, something they'd do anyway, and get so far almost 2s in a couple hours.  Potentially much better, potentially much worse.  This is apparently good and we're happy.

What.

Is this happening on all servers? I thought it was for Xanadu only where the main trader issue was with the public starter town only traders. If this is happening on all servers they need to remove private traders and give people a refund on them imo.

All servers give rare coins as of now. Next trader drain coming up, curious what it will give

Is this happening on all servers? I thought it was for Xanadu only where the main trader issue was with the public starter town only traders. If this is happening on all servers they need to remove private traders and give people a refund on them imo.

Not really. People made their money back from trader income, and many times more over in profit.

• Like 1

As Rolf seems to enjoy distributing some of the payments that he receives from Wurm Shop purchases to other players, this new rare coin drop system would be a much fairer way to do so. From just going out and enjoying playing the game doing various activities *all* players then have the same random chance of receiving these coins.

It will be much more work to take advantage of this system than Trader draining, no doubt about that. Hopefully this will also significantly reduce the amount of coins that can be drained from Traders as well, if the pool of coins from which these rare coin drops are deducted from is the same one.

Also noted was that the ways of obtaining these rare coin drops may be expanded in the future, so more activities could be added which are not too easily taken advantage of with stationary repetitive actions. Even then remember that other rare items still take a lot of time invested to create in comparison to Trader draining, so even if these rare coin drops are on a similar random basis they are not that common to be financially displacement activities commonplace to Trader draining.

This rare coin drop system is more in accord with other online game drops from mob killings and crafting abilities. Sounds like a promising step in the right direction of at least somewhat reducing the Trader draining dependency, so perhaps the withdrawal symptoms will be less severe with this distraction added to the game. In comparison this is some creative thinking.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
  • Like 2

Not really. People made their money back from trader income, and many times more over in profit.

I understand that, but its also not fair to say buy this for 50s and get this reward for it then completely take it away without refunding the item. Regardless of if people got their money back or not (not all have) a refund should be issued.

I understand that, but its also not fair to say buy this for 50s and get this reward for it then completely take it away without refunding the item. Regardless of if people got their money back or not (not all have) a refund should be issued.

Hm, you just have to keep in the back of your mind that Rolf might change stuff at random.

For all we know he might suddenly find fountain-containers "a bug" and remove them, even perhaps steel magical chests.

Everybody who bought a trader, (hopefully) knew a change might come to it eventually. I kept this in mind when I bought my 2 traders back a few years, it will hurt when he takes money-earning away from them, but the foraging/hunting alternatives now, might be able to compensate it, even if only for a little bit.

• Like 1

Hm, you just have to keep in the back of your mind that Rolf might change stuff at random.

For all we know he might suddenly find fountain-containers "a bug" and remove them, even perhaps steel magical chests.

Everybody who bought a trader, (hopefully) knew a change might come to it eventually. I kept this in mind when I bought my 2 traders back a few years, it will hurt when he takes money-earning away from them, but the foraging/hunting alternatives now, might be able to compensate it, even if only for a little bit.

True, and I do not have a trader myself. However I just feel its a fair thing.

On the other hand, a trader can still earn his owner money. Every time they sell an item, a part of the money can go into deed upkeep through the tax option. It just requires that the trader is publicly accessible, otherwise you won't get many sales. It might even be reasonable to allow people to buy traders on Xanadu now, if only just for that feature.

I have quickly checked one of my mine areas that has ore veins I have located but not uncovered by mining open next to it. I think that those veins are still there, but there are additional veins there too including an ore type I didn't have before. I will investigate more later but for now it seems undiscovered means they were not found by mining or by analysing/prospecting.

Actually on further inspection some of the unexposed veins have gone, while some of them are still there.

Sign in to follow this