Sign in to follow this  
bwg

Google-type map for Independence

There used to be one of these around but I can no longer find it.  I've since created my own version for my own personal use, but it would be a shame not to share it.  I simply take the community map and upload it whenever I feel fit, which is about once a month at the moment.

http://bit.ly/indemap

If you want me to work on a 'street view' please see this post.

If you are having problems accessing the site, try flushing your DNS.  If you're in game or connected to anything you may lose connectivity, make sure you save everything you're doing online.

http://www.wikihow.com/Flush-DNS
From the command line run "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" and "ipconfig /flushdns".

Disclaimer: Although I know these commands won't break anything, I won't be held responsible for any interruption of service.  These are likely to disconnect all connections on your machine for a brief time, including Wurm.

Edited by bwg

PM me a screen.  Works on my machine plus another on a VPN.

The server at www.purp.co.uk can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.

Strange that it's working from two of my machines.  I've just tried a free proxy and I get the same as you.

I'll investigate...

• Like 1

worked for me - np - but then i am located in UK too - maybe that has something to do with it?

One of my nameservers is playing up, specifically the one which is owned and managed by the host.... strange.  I'll be on the phone to them....

Needs more Street View.

I'll await your screenshots!

• Like 1

doesn't even zoom all the way out? :(

also if u really could include screenshots as "street view" that would be... awesome.

doesn't even zoom all the way out? :(

also if u really could include screenshots as "street view" that would be... awesome.

Check now.

On your second note, if people would like to send me a screenshot showing what I'd see if I passed outside of your deed via road, I can take a look.  Maybe a few at different angles.

Please PM me, so as not to spoil the surprise for when it's complete... if I figure out how to do it.

• No winter screenshots.
  • Daytime only.
  • Full screen, no cropping.
  • Full colour, no editing.
  • No GUI (press F10).
  • No players in the picture.
  • Provide community map co-ords (X/Y) and deed name.

This sounds great. Unfortunately in West Coast USA (Comcast) Chrome I get this:  This webpage is not available The server at www.purp.co.uk can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. 

I tried also in Opera and get this: Could not locate remote server. Check that the address is spelled correctly, or try searching for the site.

If you have a numerical IP address maybe we can try that also?

Looking very much forward to seeing this -- it sounds great!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

In the central US from home (Cox) I can see the map just fine, but at work I get the same error about DNS lookup failed.

This is strange indeed.  Could you, those having problems, try flushing your DNS.  If you're in game or connected to anything you may lose connectivity, make sure you save everything you're doing online.

http://www.wikihow.com/Flush-DNS

From the command line run "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" and "ipconfig /flushdns".

If the site works after you have run those then there could be a stale nameserver out there somewhere.  If not then I'll investigate more.

Disclaimer: Although I know these commands won't break anything, I won't be held responsible for any interruption of service.  These are likely to disconnect all connections on your machine for a brief time, including Wurm.

Edited by bwg

/ipconfig release is not recognized

ipconfig /release,  works. ditto for the others. 

(kicked me off wurm too lol -- but you DID warn me)

That works, now I get the map :D

also lost my winter lol -- oh well there is always NEXT YEAR

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

whats the diference between this and the other map?

but im in spain and it does work

Some similar ones I have seen in the past allowed people to add to the map so that you could keep zooming in till you were at the level of a single tile, almost like all of wurm was loaded into some monstrously huge Wurm Planner.  Every fence post, shack, forge, gravel sidewalk  etc. has to be added by hand however in such cases.  Since it requires a TON of community effort to map and document every single tile in wurm, those projects never get very far -- just too ambitious. Who knows maybe some day some especially "active community" will make it work on their server ^_^ Very unlikely though for a map the size of Indy. 

But having "street views" of some of the server's villages is much easier and a pretty fun way to show off your place so I can really see something like that taking off, with each village updating with screenshots of their own area. 

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBVDp5eBMhU

but im in spain and it does work

You can zoom and pan on the browser.

I'm now developing a new version (will end up on the same URL, don't worry) which has added features.  I'd like a handful of reasonably active people to participate in some testing of my new implementation.  If you would like to be involved please shoot me a PM with your deed location so I can add you to the new map and begin working on the new features.

Cheers!

• Like 1

errr Winstermill is in the wrong place. i live right next to them. its too far north on the map