Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Public Boss Hunts?

Simple solution:  Make uniques even harder to kill.  Introduce mechanics that prevent 5 people from being able to kill a boss.

heh dunno.. making the events public themselves is pain in the ass for various reasons from people don't listen, borrowed items forgot to be returned, lost people (me!), to even streamed loots roll accused as cheating.

• Like 1

It's just too laggy to attend a public event. Even the smaller, invite only events are laggy due to alts hanging around for the hide and blood.

It'd be easier to run public events if the hide and blood only went to the people appear on the event window/twitter/whatever, as they are the ones successfully hitting the thing.

Maybe at the same time there could be a sliding scale of how much loot is produced, to encourage mains to come and fight without the alts. Say, 10+fighters as the minimum means the bone drops, and the unique has the current normal chance of dropping a sorcery item. Then that the sorcery item chance could increase marginally for each extra person in the kill, or there could be a chance of another bone dropping.

Just removing the reason to bring all the alts would make public slayings more viable again.

I was told that if fewer people attend the slaying, they get more blood.  In other words, a certain amount of blood is evenly distributed among everyone in local, and that amount is increased the less people there are. 

If this is true, then there is no need to drag 4 alts on carts to each fight.

I was told that if fewer people attend the slaying, they get more blood.  In other words, a certain amount of blood is evenly distributed among everyone in local, and that amount is increased the less people there are. 

If this is true, then there is no need to drag 4 alts on carts to each fight.

Afaik, blood remains the same.

It's the hide that varies in weight depending on however many fighters attended.

Can't figure out/probably impossible to multiquote from multiple pages, so you get a double post... and some wonderful off-topicness.

Kudoes to you if you can sit through the whole song btw.

Lesley has better tracks, but that one's tolerable. I do prefer the serious Lesley over the bubblegum Lesley, i.e.: ;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDUjeR01wnU

Some of you that know me and know of my musical tastes aren't going to believe I just posted this... but, yeah, I did.  :P 

• Like 1

it has everything to do with fs, and killing uniques. if ur over 70 leave them alone, give someone below you a chance. keep ur butchering knife pocketed, ride away, dont be greedy,

We had a slaying some time ago, and one of our lowest FS players hit the most out of of us, (Hes at 50) what are you on about :P

Hate to see all this chalked up to greed and old vs new players, it's not :) The smaller servers do a nice job (imo) of having a public fight most of the time and it works because finding the uniques is so much easier. If you want to go fight/find a unique, xanadon't and Indy both have MIA uniques for weeks :P I've been to lots of slayings over the years, seen lots of noobs there and met/made lots of friends. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater in this issue.

Edited by Pingpong

I'm guessing groups have found their common friends who are capible of killing uniques and servers have their "personal slayers". Its easier to organise when you have 'usuals' its less stressful. You can also manage smaller groups so higher chance of winning loot in the group.

When I organised hunts I liked to keep groups limited to 10-15 and liked to invite different people each time while keeping it private. In the end I found it was much easier to invite the usuals and add a few new people. It was hard finding 15 new people who could be trustworthy and had the talent to kill uniques too.

Plus the overall amount of uniques has dropped to a handful.

http://wurm.bdew.net/

Yeah, i think its more about them not spawning as often than the greed factor.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/110770-price-check-of-my-toon-pics-of-cute-kittens-inside/

Fighting: 72.057526

And I didn't even try.

But again, what has FS to do with killing uniques?

Without Fo priest! that must be hilarious.

Low FS means that you pretty much won't hit. I switched weapons to kill a dragon (equiped a enchanted 2h axe i had on my Fo) and even with 70+ FS it took me a while to get hits cause of low weapon skill. That's why people usually shouldn't attend with out at least that. They'll just be preventing someone else from hitting (although one of the inhabitants of the deed where i did the slay was only 50 FS and managed to get a hit and the title :P)

But yeah, its kinda sad that Rolf didn't take a bit more care releasing the uniques back (and making them respawn), specially due to their highly destructive nature, many times the slayings must be done quickly for the fear of them destroying stuff. Which could be curbed with making them spawn underground (maybe even at a special designated place) allowing for people to take their time and organize the slayings.

Could even be something as simple as changing their AI to work more like other MMORPGs (if they move too far away (5-10 tiles?) from their spawn tile they go back), also would be nice if they didn't spawn inside deeds...

And most of all, the hide drops are ridiculous. As things are i actively avoid slayings, there's always a risk of losing skill, and the rewards are pretty slim.

Edited by KanePT
  • Like 1

The first and only Dragon slaying I went to was the Red on Indy, it was laggy as hell cause of all the people there.

Then with my 74 FS I managed to get a few hits on it and when it died I DIDN'T get the title and a .02 piece of scale and some blood WOW awesome.....thanks Rolf.

So it was a pretty disappointing outing and a waste of time.

So I can see why their are small private groups going around killing them, and I don't blame them.

Would be cool to get in on one though so I could finally get the title that has eluded me.

It would be nice if there were something between unique w/mega loot and common mob w/meat. Something that, no kidding, a village of noobs could tackle and actually be proud of and have something to show for it that has a function.

• Like 4

But yeah, its kinda sad that Rolf didn't take a bit more care releasing the uniques back (and making them respawn), specially due to their highly destructive nature, many times the slayings must be done quickly for the fear of them destroying stuff. Which could be curbed with making them spawn underground (maybe even at a special designated place) allowing for people to take their time and organize the slayings.

Could even be something as simple as changing their AI to work more like other MMORPGs (if they move too far away (5-10 tiles?) from their spawn tile they go back), also would be nice if they didn't spawn inside deeds...

I agree. This is my main concern with uniques, that they can destroy player creations and areas. I find it hard to not see this as a player griefing tool using this mindless unique AI. Keep this sort of thing upon the Epic severs and I will have no problem ignoring these uniques, letting others have their fun.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

When we organized the events on Cele, we made a list of people every time.  We used those lists to create a master list of people we can trust to act mature, honorable, and to not afk the fight with 5 alts.  We don't do public fights.  This is not from greed... it's from necessity.  The people attending actually fight, work, and help contribute to the fight.  They don't abuse alts to get extra loot or rolls.  We keep it private for trust reasons.  That said, we did offer people living in local the chance to help, there was no reason to shut them out.

We aren't greedy, we just want it to be kept fair for those attending and cut the drama completely out.  In 5 events we've had zero drama, can anyone say that for the public events?

I think public events can be done with very little drama, but when you work with random people you've never met, chances are someone is going to be upset they didn't win something.  It's jsut human nature I think.

• Like 1

In the first 3 public events I attended the organizer just scammed all participants, he stole the valrei drop and the bones from the loot.

Never attended a public killing again.

• Like 1

I've been to a fair few public hunts and my guess would be following reasons:

- The fps can start dipping at any time and you never really know when, which makes for a very dangerous journey

- Sometimes the leader of the hunt thinks certain directions are obvious but everyone else ends up confused and in the end everyone's annoyed with each other

- The participants don't always follow directions which ends up endangering everyone's lives by either a.) kiting the unique straight into a group of people getting ready or b.) getting player after player rushing into it uncontrollably killed leaving the group with too few participants to be able to succeed

- The distances people have to travel in order to participate have an uncertain ETA because of the wind so people always end up running late and half the participants say "Wait" and the others say "Go" and someone always ends up angry

Edit: I'm sure greed is a factor in some cases but it's far from the first thing that springs to my mind at least)

Edited by Aeris

I organized 1 slaying (freaking drake had been messing up my deed, so i expedited a summons in forum and GL chat). We got i think 38 players iirc. I hastly created altars, offered respawn at the deed for players. The loot was handled civily. (i grabed the drake, gave it to the highest level butcher, he returned it to me, i gave it to Xsamurayzx (cause he's one of the few players i know is really trustworthy, and from which i learned a lot back in GV) to do the distribution, he did the rolls, people got the stuff, and in the end Griffith iirc donated the corpse back to me (he had rolled it) so, i have a grave commemorating the event in my backyard xp.

That was the only slaying i went to, and really because i had to. I might attend to more if there are any close by, but seriously... My brother's char lost a ton of skill because of 20 slopes luring the drake away on horseback, the reward wasn't really good enough to off-set that loss.

Other than that, it WAS cool having so many people in the area, and except for impalongs its pretty much the only reason to have such gathering of players.

Edited by KanePT
  • Like 1

I'm all for everyone getting their chance at hunting uniques. Under 70 FS? Work your skill. No one is saying that you have to do so in a week, don't worry- they respawn.. Plenty to be had for all. Another group getting there before you? Watch the twitter feed and play an active part in helping look for the mob.

In my experience, having an organized raid is better than 100+ people getting itchy because it is taking <insert names here> too much time to get to the fight spot. I have seen many of the larger group raids either A) Have some alt or inexperienced person grab the mob and train it into the group without warning or B) another group swoop in and grab the mob. Word of mouth is a good thing, it brings in people you can trust rather than have a GM sit over watching to make sure no one steals the corpse. 

Edited by Silvirwolfe
  • Like 1

The public fights were great but there began to be issues, 100 people per fight lead to horrendous lag and it was frankly boring and too easy. I still believe that the solution is adding more difficult creatures (perhaps non aggros so new players don't get repeatedly killed) that don't drop much, maybe a cosmetic item but nothing of real value, but the idea being that you can go and kill something with a few friends and have it actually be a challenge, avatars are fun for this but people whine that you are ruining missions and it would also be nice to see something perhaps as hard as a red that you can kill for fun. I don't think that spamming uniques is a good solution as it leads to far too much blood and scale, it's still supposed to be rare.