Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Public Boss Hunts?

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the public hunts, open to all, have gone away?  For those 2-3 wonderful months, it was great to be part of the crew, taking down those awesome creatures.  However, it seems to have changed and become private, invitation only hunt groups.  Why did this change? Being part of the greater community effort was pretty awesome.  Is it because of the massive lag? Too hard to coordinate?  Too hard to share the wealth?  Keeping the number of bloods to a minimum to help inflate the price of potions?

I'm just curious, because I miss those days. It was so much nicer than the old, old days of private penning for massive wealth generation.

• Like 1

Greed.

Also one of the few PvE things worth to do that have Wurm, has become in who can ninja-kill the faster.

And then some people wonders why I say that the PvE of Wurm is almost non-existent.

• Like 1

I don't attend public killings any more because my computer craps out when 50+ people are in local.

• Like 3

I don't attend public killings any more because my computer craps out when 50+ people are in local.

last one I did, was Kyklops in Pristine and we had 180 in local at one point I believe.  It was a crazy crowd and many people crashing.  Going to make a note in suggestion box about this issue.  Public hunts should not have to die from technical difficulties like this.

Probably a bit of all of those reasons, although I wouldn't think people are worried too much about inflating the price of blood/potions.

On Deli we've had a few actual public slayings, and those tend to go bad with other groups trying to steal the unique away.  Some idiot hears about it in kchat and they call their kill team into action right away, whereas public slayings take more time to orchestrate if you want to be fair about it.  We've now gone to semi public slayings, where everything's passed by word of mouth to prevent those undesirables from catching wind of it.

Yes, it seems to be for the more greedy reasons. I saw selling some sorcery items and they went in high price. So it's like group which wants alot of money and/or group which is pvping

was taking a break! mount up and lets go kill stuff!

• Like 3

People just get more and more scared that someone else is going to swoop in while they are organizing their public slaying, that they do it quickly instead, well this is the exact thinking of the other party... See the conundrum?...

• Like 1

if u find a unique keep it quiet. the wurm elders are always seeking uniqeues, grab a band of locals without fs and kill it!

Thing is Wurmians are a loving community when organizing it... 

Then the loot roll happens, and "right to roll" issues may arise, including "why are you here?".... now Wurmians being the caring lot they are, things are discussed in a civilized fashion and in the end everyone is like... 

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQmBXEZEYtg

And I say it oh so sarcastically.  Kudoes to you if you can sit through the whole song btw.

No to the song. lets put a fs of 70 below on uni ques. and butchering below 60 for  2 months. let the newbs get a share. im 70 fs 42 bs and i say give the newbs a chance at gaining some scale., if ur over 70 fs dont be greedy. not all of of us can play 16 hours a day like some can, and we know who the people are who do play 16 hours a day,  if ur at 70 fs u can make a living w/o unique,,ive never taken a hunt cause theres always some in charge, and dont argue sleep bonus.

Edited by groundchuck

No to the song. lets put a fs of 70 below on uni ques. and butchering below 60 for  2 months. let the newbs get a share. im 70 fs 42 bs and i say give the newbs a chance at gaining some scale., if ur over 70 fs dont be greedy. not all of of us can play 16 hours a day like some can, and we know who the people are who do play 16 hours a day,  if ur at 70 fs u can make a living w/o unique,,ive never taken a hunt cause theres always some ###### in charge, and dont argue sleep bonus.

You can get 70 FS in less than a week, is one of the easiest skills to grind to 70.

you can grind almost anything in a week if u have 16 hours to play. most of us have jobs and lives,

you can grind almost anything in a week if u have 16 hours to play. most of us have jobs and lives,

What has that to do with killing uniques?

you may speak english, its ok,

Meh, I prefer to speak engrish, is more my thing.

I'd love to see the attempts of a mob of people under 70FS to take on most uniques.  I might actually be willing to let one go just for a chance to witness such a thing.

• Like 2

dense aye? whats ur fs?

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/110770-price-check-of-my-toon-pics-of-cute-kittens-inside/

Fighting: 72.057526

And I didn't even try.

But again, what has FS to do with killing uniques?

I'd love to see the attempts of a mob of people under 70FS to take on most uniques.  I might actually be willing to let one go just for a chance to witness such a thing.

Without Fo priest! that must be hilarious.

Edited by Alec
  • Like 1

it has everything to do with fs, and killing uniques. if ur over 70 leave them alone, give someone below you a chance. keep ur butchering knife pocketed, ride away, dont be greedy,

it has everything to do with fs, and killing uniques. if ur over 70 leave them alone, give someone below you a chance. keep ur butchering knife pocketed, ride away, dont be greedy,

Your grasp on uniques is about on par with my grasp on string theory.

• Like 6

Again, please answer my question about what the heck has to do 70FS with killing uniques, vague inconclusive answers as "it has everything to do with FS" explain nothing.

Private slayings have been going on for many years, long before the uniques could respawn.

Before twitter announced the respawn and death of uniques, people chose to hold private slayings because they didn't want others to know the location of the unique, who attended and how loot was distributed.

Nowadays, since twitter announces everything and drake/scale gets evenly shared with players in local, people are more encouraged than ever before to keep slayings private to prevent uninvited players from leeching drake and scale.

There does some to be a culture of exclusion when it comes to slaying events nowadays.

Last month I attended a slaying that didn't succeed. The next attempt, I was told that I was no longer welcome because two friends I had initially brought along (who weren't even coming to the next attempt) didn't get along with people and because the new organisers didn't want people from Chaos to attend.

As a result of this exclusion, I tried to organise my own group to kill the unique which didn't end up going ahead. This no doubt will exclude me from future slayings with certain groups but the point I'm trying to make is that when you exclude people who are interested in slaying a unique from a planned event, it leaves them no other choice but to try and kill it themselves.

I'll help any group slay uniques as long as they're doing it for respectable reasons. Some of reasons that some prominent slaying groups have used in the past to refuse others from attending these sorts of social events are deplorable.

RomaN, being exclusionary to others than a selected group is a part of human nature. That this carries over into these Wurm lands should then come as no surprise.

Add into this equation real life equivalency profits to be made and this enhances the allure of exclusion even more. And for the final trump card add in that Wurm deeply embeds undisclosed income available from playing the game within its structure and you have a subtle undercurrent that effects many aspects of the game.

Then a drop of feigned denial of the money profit motivation tops the cake off nicely. Unfortunately this corrupts the pure enjoyment of playing the game for what it has to offer apart from that and attracts a focus to that real life profit aspect that many other online games are wise enough to avoid.

That others would abstract this into string theory is a thin thread to follow that breaks under anything but the surface examination and observation of this effective influence.

So now we get these hush hush attempts to keep these unique slayings under the control of groups who might get wind of the situation before others in order to reap the benefits in items, translated into silvers, translated into RL profits. If this is not the case, try then to advocate eliminating all drops from these unique's and see how far you get with that idea before being labeled with undesirable names, distorted logic or merely a heretic of the grand Wurm traditions.

If then to live in interesting times is the objective, this suits me well enough. Still, there is a slow evolution within Wurm that may gradually lead to more pleasant end results. Not that harmony can ever really be achieved but just that some negative undesirable effects may be lessened.

The crowd will always seek to subdue the dissenting individuals though and in numbers they hold that power. Fortunately over these nebulous distances they have little chance of getting their hands around ones neck and stifling this discontent with their antics.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

There were more public slayings in 2012 and 2013 than there have been since June 2014 when all the uniques respawned, loot severely reduced and the monthly unique respawn introduced.

Back then, a full butcher on a Red Dragon gave you 8 full pieces of scale.

I think people are just getting more greedy because of less loot to go around and so they try to do it amongst their own circle of friends in smaller numbers.