Sign in to follow this  
Minwaabi

You can't dig in solid rock. What rock?

I get a message when I try to dig:  "You can't dig in the solid rock."  However, all four corners are dirt.  Why can't I dig here? 

You have to dig all 4 corners down to rock to expose the rock, you have just hit rock on 1 corner now, and 3 to go.

All four corners of one tile? Make sure there isn't any tree or bush nearby, also try to drop some dirt on it and dig back again.

edit: and, as silakka said, the message should be shown on all four corners of the tile.

Edited by Samool

I get a message when I try to dig:  "You can't dig in the solid rock."  However, all four corners are dirt.  Why can't I dig here? 

One digs on corners, not the 'middle' of the tile, as such, you have hit the rock layer on the corner you're standing on. If you do the same on the other 3 corners of either of the 4 tiles you're surrounded by, the tile will become rock.

don't just dig the corners dig the entire tile of all the ones around it. SO to explain you want 3 or even 9 tiles of rock. I have found that 3 is enough. Just keep digging everything near where you want the mine. 

Yes tricky trying to get around this issues, gotta work on all tiles (remove dirts) before working on that rock tile. So if you want to dig down, need a pickaxe to chip those rocks or make a tunnel. Keep experiment with it until you get a hang of it.

Once you understood the corner oriented design, it is easier to figure. If you hit rock in one corner, every attempt to dig in the corner of the tile or the bordering square results in "you cannot dig in solid rock". If you want to expose the tile, go to the next corner and dig there until you get the same message. Only when the last of four corners is exposed, the tile visibly turns into rock.

To surface mine, all tiles around the one to work on must be exposed. To erupt a tile it suffices if only that one is rock.