Sign in to follow this  
Miretta

Depriest Spell with Cooldown

Because of recent topics and maybe to fix some other issues and complaints about priests I thought i should maybe put this idea in a new thread, that is not specified as PVP or PVE oriented :)

How about a new spell for all priests? that can be cast on yourself, requires certain amount of favor (maybe 70+?) and the effects are:

you will unpriest for a definite amount of time (as example 2 weeks) without loosing your faith/favor/alignment, they are getting frozen, you can't convert to another god for that time and it's NOT toggable, so once used, the time will run (maybe also when logged off).

In that time you can use your character like every non priest character, but it will automatically turn back after those 2 weeks.

Additionally it could have a cooldown of a month or even longer, so that it wouldn't get abused and would be JUST an opportunity to take a break from normal priesthood. It would make it a hard decision, everytime you want to use it.

What you guys think about it?

edit: I would be happy about any form of suggestion, regarding times and favor usage, since I don't really know what can be considered as "heavy" or not

p.s.: this could also be a solution for current "converting" issue from lib priests. Devs could add FULL restriction for priests, no matter what server they are, but still dissallow lib spells from being used on PVE (except for depriest spell), without rendering them completely useless

additions to my suggestion from other people:

-maybe make it a spell that needs linking and needing like 130 favor to be cast

-explanation for this to be possible: Priest pilgrimage, to find to themselves and god and in that period of time, they don't act as priests to learn about the world

Edited by Miretta

Sort of have mixed feelings about this, but still [under the right conditions] not a very bad idea, so +1

to jump on the trader-nerve/get rid-off-them-train i might suggest an item you have to buy from the trader for an x amount of silver to be able to do this. 

to jump on the trader-nerve/get rid-off-them-train i might suggest an item you have to buy from the trader for an x amount of silver to be able to do this. 

you mean with the same restrictions?

i like the high favor spell idea.

an addition: the "priest on vacation" should not be allowed to convert to another kingdom in that time though, so it triggers the convert timer as well.

• Like 1

-1, seems like a workaround for priest restrictions to me, which shouldn't be a thing.

• Like 2

so complicated, u will have my vote in the future for a removal of all priest restrictions.

Silly that we must play 4 chars at same time, to be able to do everything in a sandbox game.

-1, seems like a workaround for priest restrictions to me, which shouldn't be a thing.

Actually its a workaround to balance an exploit that allows a BL priests on chaos to workaround their priest restrictions (also allows WL priests on Freedom to do the opposite, maybe).

+1

Yeah, at this time a BL priest can be a BL priest on Chaos and a Weaponssmith just across the server. Or a BL priest and a FO priest, making 1 priest possible to cast LT and all of BL casts... that is far from balance

Just sounds like a workaround to me.  -1 from me

The workaround already exists, but only for Libila.

Get your facts straight.

Sounds like an interesting approach to balance the BL priest imbalance (as in, other priests not being able to craft while they can do so just fine on Freedom). Though I'd probably add linking as a requirement.

Instead of a cooldown, maybe add a skill gain penalty? Say once the spell ends, you receive a 50% skill gain penalty for 2 weeks. If during this time you cast the spell again, then you get a second 50% penalty for another 2 weeks. While both penalties are active, you're effective penalty would be 75%. This way you can chain the spell for as many weeks as you want if you just want to create stuff, but your skill gain will be horrible, allowing non priests to easily catch up and overtake you on crafting skills.

Edited by Ecrir

Then the suggestion is.....let priests do anything.  I disagree but that's my own opinion.  I never said all of the priests needed to be cookie cutter.

The workaround already exists, but only for Libila.

Get your facts straight.

I haven't gotten any facts non-straight, I just don't see why MORE priests should be allowed to use workarounds.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 2

1. atm ALL priests have that workaround, if you have WL priest on PVE and convert to blacklight on PVP they can also craft AND be priest on 2 different servers

(has to do with WL priests are not allowed in blacklight kingdom and BL priests are not allowed in WL kingdom either)

2. You are not allowed to be priest on BOTH servers, you can try to do it, but it is heavily buggy (you can loose all your faith on both servers) and GMs won't "fix" it, since it is NOT intended to be Priest on both servers.

As far as I know it can even lead in your account being accused of using an exploit.

actually everyone CAN do things as a non priest, when they are priest, by clicking unfaithful, but they are getting faith drained for it and would need to grind it back.

If the cooldown for such a spell, like I suggested would be "similar" to the amount of time needed to spend to grind your faith back, it wouldn't be actually any different, just that you wouldn't need to worry for a fixed amount of time how MUCH unfaithful things you do, since it would be then time related.

The numbers i gave as examples are merely examples, make it a 3-6 months long timer and it wouldn't really be accountable as a "workaround" anymore, since we already can do that.

Just sounds like a workaround to me.  -1 from me

Instead, remove these silly restrictions and make priests playable as mains.

• Like 2

I am against this for one of the main reasons that priests have restrictions in the first place. If anyone could do both with priests, every character would be a priest.

A priest is hard work and should remain that way.

And if you want to have both, we have a mechanic in the game already - champion.

I'm a bit mixed over this.

It's a nice idea to ease the burden on priests and was pitched so that the elitists won't go "go prem up another toon, look I manage it (with my traders to pay their prem upkeep!)".

The trouble is that it is a patch up and patch over.  It does allow a priest to live a life as a hermit, namely by stopping being a priest for a while.

Overall it's a +0.  The idea of temporary de-priesting is not a bad one, especially with some kind of time restriction in place.

But lets be honest, if priests were a little less restricted (by no means as capable as non-priests) I think priest players would be happy.  For those of you that say "magic has a price", I would suggest paying it some time to see if you consider it worthwhile.

• Like 2

I am against this for one of the main reasons that priests have restrictions in the first place. If anyone could do both with priests, every character would be a priest.

And if you want to have both, we have a mechanic in the game already - champion.

a priest still would be hard work, even if someone would implement this idea and sadly becoming a champion has a fixed amount of slots (i think it's 4 per kingdom) so definitely not accessible by everyone.

Two wrongs don't make a right: the BL thing seems broken but the 'fix' isn't (sensibly) to remove restrictions for WL priests.

1) The only reason why you oppose to every character being a priest is because Rolf fumbled to greed for a bit and created a separate class for priests, in a sandbox. If religion and spells had been made like meditation or sorcery from the get go, you wouldn't be complaining ever.

But people cozied up to the system, probably exploited it a bit, and now don't want other people to get the "easy ride". Its common... Its like that thing with the monkeys, they abused all the mokeys in a cage when a monkey did a particular action, there got a point that when any monkey did that action the rest would kick its ass to prevent themselves from getting hurt... They started rotating in new monkeys, and they got to a point where no moneky in the cage had been subject to the initial punishment, but they all kept the tradition of kicking the ass of any monkey that did that particular action.

2) The hard work wouldn't really change would it? If anything, i'd still keep the priest alt. I still find myself bogged down with having the priest doing his own thing and doing other stuff on my main, imagine if i had only one char...

3) Yeah, Champions were a thing apart originally with perma death and all... Now you can say they're pretty much just another system for being a priest with a normal char...

Two wrongs don't make a right: the BL thing seems broken but the 'fix' isn't (sensibly) to remove restrictions for WL priests.

It kinda is the sensible thing to do, because priest restrictions are basically wogic, and totally anti-sandboxy.

Edited by KanePT

-1 If you don't want the restrictions don't be a priest in the first place.

• Like 1

sometimes, i get the feeling, people just comment to get their post numbers up  :rolleyes:

I came up with this idea, because currently lib priests CAN go to pve servers and craft like normal chars, due to lib not being allowed on freedom servers. It's even intended by devs, but I think it's only a half-good solution, since it is only counting for a specific part of the population of wurm.

and statements like: "dont play a priest if you don't like it" are a bit at the wrong place here, this is not a "I became a priest, i don't like it, please change it thread!" I'm not complaining O.o

and it seems awkward to even say so, since it would render EVERYONE to not being allowed to make any suggestions, because you could go like this: "you don't like the game? don't play it!"

that logic could go on forever lol

it's a SUGGESTION, a CONCEPT, an IDEA made for the sole purpose of giving devs and players alike, food for their minds to think about a possible development of wurm"

Edited by Miretta

it's a SUGGESTION, a CONCEPT, an IDEA made for the sole purpose of giving devs and players alike, food for their minds to think about a possible development of wurm"

funny, you probably forgot, some "minds" do not need food, because they are in hibernate state, they can even be aggressive, when they see food

+1

I like your idea for temporary depriesting by spell. But I fear, there can be introduced unwanted bugs, exploits and windows of opportunity. Because it means quite large changes in basic mechanics.