Sign in to follow this  
AussieMel

Sailing skill

Sailing Skill  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should a skill for sailing be implemented that allows for faster sailing speeds as you increase in level?

Hi there,

I am not sure if the below has already been suggested, if so please ignore this post.

It occurred  to me whilst travelling for over 5 hours from Pristine to Independence that a lot could be done to improve transport via boats within the game. What if we could gain skill from sailing whilst we are travelling as a commander of a boat? The higher your skill the faster you can sail. The more you sail, the faster you become at adjusting sails, the better you become at reading winds, etc. Even if we could gain a few kms of speed per 10 or so skill points would make a difference. From what I can tell sailing is one of the few skills that we don't see any gains from, we even gain skills whilst climbing. 

I truly believe that no one in there right mind feels that spending 5 hours of game time (which, mind you, is a game which is highly dedicated to skill gains) travelling in between servers is fun. I will give you an example of travel times from my recent trip (if my calculations are incorrect please let me know):

Total trip was Pristine to Independence. 

Pristine - Xanadu average speed 13km 

traveled along 38 tiles, 250m per tile, total of 9.5km, at 13km per hour so 40-50mins give or take.

Xanadu - Deliverance average speed 9km

traveled along 40 tiles, 1km per tile, total of 40km, at 9km per hour so just under 4.5 hours

Deliverance - Independence border average speed 12km

traveled 7 tiles, 250m per tile, total of 1.75km, at 12km per hour so not very long :)

In Indy 23 tiles, 500m per tile, total of 11.5km at an average speed of 12km therefore just over an hour.

So any way you get the point......almost 63km in over 6.5 hours. Mind you is still had to get back to pristine. If I have messed up any of the maths please excuse it.

Therefore if say at 20 sailing skill i could go even 3km faster it would take approximately over an hour off the trip. 

I for one would be more inclined to sail more between servers for hunting, fun and trader if is was a bit faster.

What do you guys think?? 

I have added a poll to try and gauge how much support this idea might have.

Edited by AussieMel
  • Like 1

Hi there,

I am not sure if the below has already been suggested, if so please ignore this post.

it has been suggested but for heavens sake don't ignore the idea just because people ask for it all the time. Many ideas get suggested time after time after time before they get adopted. 

Would love to see a combination of weatherwind + boatquality + sailingskill all contribute.  any 2 of the 3 would help much but all 3 = really fast sailing.  Perhaps all of them boost the minimum (not maximum) by a very small amount but they stack up. 

That would make it even more possible for "commercial transport businesses" to flourish with professional skippers and top of the line merchant boats making them the quickest way on the planet to transport goods.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 3

People would just afk along server borders untill they got 90+

Resulting in a boring chore untill max speed is obtained.

If solo speeds are considered too slow in general, then just raise them, don't implement another chore that needs to be grinded.

Would love to see a combination of weatherwind + boatquality + sailingskill all contribute.  any 2 of the 3 would help much but all 3 = really fast sailing.  Perhaps all of them boost the minimum (not maximum) by a very small amount but they stack up. 

Love this idea. The same principle applied with horses, better quality horses with good quality equipment makes for faster speeds.

I don't know if others have the issue of often being thrown from the boat during server crossing, but I for one wouldn't be AFKing for this reason. Not to mention sea serpents and the likes. As it is at the moment I am semi AFK whilst traveling. I attach a second screen so I can keep an eye on where I am going whilst doing other things on the computer. 

• Like 2

I don't think we need another skill. But speed depending on type and ql of ship would be nice idea, so high shipbuilding can be awarded with minor speed bonus, nothing big though so it don't ruin concept of the game :)

All these ideas have been suggested before as well, but still think some of them are very valid:  Higher speed with higher ql ship, and do away with light breezes.  Change the wind direction at least every 12 hours which in wurm time is once every few days any way.  Create something that when attached to the ship makes it faster e.g. additional sails, or perhaps a new animal type to help pull the ship...seahorses for real?  Just some wild ideas but hey, anything to make ships a bit faster.

pirates_of_the_caribbean_at_worlds_end-d

Edited by Fairyshine

or perhaps a new animal type to help pull the ship...seahorses for real?  Just some wild ideas but hey, anything to make ships a bit faster.

Indigenous people in certain coastal areas of Australia used to tie ropes to whales teeth and have them drag boats !!!

sailing skill with interrupt-able ship action timers, and passengers can use theirs as well. Trim/raise sails... tbh I dont know much about sailing aside from port and starboard.

I don't want to afk for hours.

Also your poll accepts more than one option.

Just the good old suggestion of +10QL more speed.

Not just faster speeds, but allow for speed control as well.

Not just faster speeds, but allow for speed control as well.

Yes, if we ever get the plus speed by quality, some form of speed control would be nice too,

-1 no, I'd rather see that there is a higher floor for the speeds ie. that you'll never go slower than xxkm/h regardless of how terrible the wind is.

-1 no, I'd rather see that there is a higher floor for the speeds ie. that you'll never go slower than xxkm/h regardless of how terrible the wind is.

Why not both?

There's a ton of things that could be done to improve sailing, and traveling overal, and most of them aren't mutually exclusive.

Edited by KanePT

Resulting in a boring chore untill max speed is obtained.

If solo speeds are considered too slow in general, then just raise them, don't implement another chore that needs to be grinded.

Perhaps make it like climbing then, that way when stamina runs out you don't get skillgains.

Tho perhaps not a sailing skill, I will always +1 a gain for the time spent at sea

• Like 1

Perhaps make it like climbing then, that way when stamina runs out you don't get skillgains.

Tho perhaps not a sailing skill, I will always +1 a gain for the time spent at sea

I -1'd mainly becouse it would be a BORING and POINTLESS skillgrind.

not becouse I would dislike the fact people would afk sail >_>

Edited by Zekezor

-1 because it just further halts being able to travel in pvp servers by boat.

Speaking as a hobby sailor, Klaa's idea about 'trimming the sails' is, I think, the best way. The action, maybe based on mind logic, would alter the impact of the wind as if it was at a more favorable angle to the ship allowing better speeds at sharper angles to the wind.

Couple that with an increase in power of the lower wind speeds.

Another addition, although a bit more processing heavy, would be to grant a significant bonus (20%-30% maybe) to speed beyond a certain distance from land. That way once you actually get out to sea you can cruise, but tight spaces like boat tunnels are still slow. The hard way is to actually seek the distance to the nearest corner above sea level, but you might be able to pull it off by just checking if the water is at least X deep, where X is maybe 10% to 20% less than the average depth of the water around the server perimeter. 

Fixing winds so "strong breeze" is the minimum would solve a lot of the problems.

If RL winds were like Wurm, Colombus wouldn't have reached France before starving.

Why not both?

There's a ton of things that could be done to improve sailing, and traveling overal, and most of them aren't mutually exclusive.

They aren't mutually exclusive, but I don't like the options. None of them.

Hi there,

It occurred  to me whilst travelling for over 5 hours from Pristine to Independence that a lot could be done to improve transport via boats within the game. What if we could gain skill from sailing whilst we are travelling as a commander of a boat? The higher your skill the faster you can sail. The more you sail, the faster you become at adjusting sails, the better you become at reading winds, etc. Even if we could gain a few kms of speed per 10 or so skill points would make a difference. From what I can tell sailing is one of the few skills that we don't see any gains from, we even gain skills whilst climbing. 

I truly believe that no one in there right mind feels that spending 5 hours of game time (which, mind you, is a game which is highly dedicated to skill gains) travelling in between servers is fun. I will give you an example of travel times from my recent trip (if my calculations are incorrect please let me know):

Total trip was Pristine to Independence. 

Pristine - Xanadu average speed 13km 

traveled along 38 tiles, 250m per tile, total of 9.5km, at 13km per hour so 40-50mins give or take.

Xanadu - Deliverance average speed 9km

traveled along 40 tiles, 1km per tile, total of 40km, at 9km per hour so just under 4.5 hours

Deliverance - Independence border average speed 12km

traveled 7 tiles, 250m per tile, total of 1.75km, at 12km per hour so not very long :)

In Indy 23 tiles, 500m per tile, total of 11.5km at an average speed of 12km therefore just over an hour.

So any way you get the point......almost 63km in over 6.5 hours. Mind you is still had to get back to pristine. If I have messed up any of the maths please excuse it.

Therefore if say at 20 sailing skill i could go even 3km faster it would take approximately over an hour off the trip. 

I for one would be more inclined to sail more between servers for hunting, fun and trader if is was a bit faster.

What do you guys think?? 

I have added a poll to try and gauge how much support this idea might have.

Log off a few alts (Even free alts) and log them in only for border crossing. Trust me, the speed will increase. For overall sailing skill.. sounds interesting, but not this way, as this will result in afk sailing for speed and there is no point in that. Maybe use the ql of boat + sailing skill ( Should be attained another way than just afk sailing). Maybe make the bigger ships turn slower and a chance to raise sails on a bigger ship for even more speed and make them turn even slower. Something similar to AC? (Need collision also for that and make the boat take real damage when hitting on a higher speed to shore)..

I don't think a sailing skill is a good idea as you could just sail afk to increase it. I'd rather see the speed based on boat ql (even just minimum speed going up with ql would even be fine) and for the player to have more control over the boat/sails, including lowering them to drop the speed in a gale, it can be a real pain to park a boat near a harbor with such a wind, without crashing straight into the land. Wind having a greater effect when further from land also sounds interesting.

Yes. Add a skill for sailing to increase speed, plus created items to add onto ships to increase speed. Remove winds as having any effect upon sailing. Sailing speed should be determined as a base by ship type. Thar ye go, matey!

=Ayes=

You could make it to where you have to right click the ship every 5-20 minutes for a cool down In order to reinitiate speed by trimming the sails as previously mentioned.  It should also be randomly generated time to help avoid abuse.  Also you would return to default speed when your stambar depleted and/or when you stop.

so kind of like lockpicking and climbing combined.

I want a sailing skill and sailing titles even if they do nothing for ship-speed. Suggest characteristic gain, as for climbing.

However:

I like the idea of trimming sails. Sailing skill should allow a better percentage roll to succeed. Effect good for 5 minutes or until change of direction. Requires stamina to do action. Should give bonuses when going against the wind, not with the wind (reduce wind penalty).

Sailing skill should allow you to raise/lower sails for mooring purposes (reduce to rowboat status, row to berth). The higher your skill, the bigger the ship you can manage the sails on. Sailboat raise/lower available from 1 skill.

Trim sails should give skill tick to passengers, who otherwise get no tick. Commander gets skilltick per unit of distance covered, but not from trimming sails.