Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Wurm World News - Emergent Stories Ep1

Really awesome, but I think that the intro should have been cut down so it flowed better (jump cutting, just look at pretty much any decent vlogger) and needed better sound. In any online video, the first 10 seconds are by FAR the most important - in that time the viewer decides whether or not they're going to keep watching and actually listen to what you have to say and show.

Awesome video :) I would love to see Glasshollow area in the future (especially with great community work under the command of Rockybalboa), unique, constantly evolving Glasshollow Market and very nice and helpful ppl there ;)

That was cool!  Now how about editing something like this down into a commercial and begin advertising?

• Like 1

cool video Johan, great to see Wurm promoted through as many channels as possible. Keep up the good work!

oh, suggestion for the next video: something like showing the new BL home server and how they are coming together to build it up would be great, show the sprawling growth of Mycelium...and throw in a little bit of PVP into the video too so new people can see something more (more than peasants pushing dirt, j/k). Maybe show how they deal with griefers and problem-childs like DLB in the video, hehe    :D

Edited by Atlas

Personally i find the whole thing very cool, has both an advertisement effect for none-players and wurmians alike, also might get some players to find a settlement they like more than their current (maybe abandoned) one.

The settlement was never named, just said to be Newspring ~ but that can't be as Newspring is a starter deed, not governed by players ~ as far as i know.

When i read about the subtitle thing, for those not used to hearing english, i thought back to myself many years back. Heh, why not... checking out the youtube feature of auto-captions, i know it's most of the time rubbish. Why here my contribution to subtitles, written in the way i know it might be useful, tho i'm not into making subtitles myself.

Ignoring timeline for the time being, when seeing it in a subtitle software you most often have to re-enter it anyway and without miliseconds seen, it's really just wasted time & effort (can't on youtube, without ripping the video and putting it on a timeline that is slightly off...).

Wurm World News

Welcome to Wurm World News, the emergent story.

Thank you for tuning in.

My name is Johan and i will be your host.

Let me just tell you quick about the show.

To understand when an emergent story is particularly interesting, you need a bit of a context.

So, Wurm Online is a persistent sandbox massive multiplayer online game.

What this means in essence is to play, where you choose, creating your own set of goals and
your own stories and it is the stories not prompted by the game, but by the players, that are called emergent.

These are the stories i want to tell you, so i invite you for a unique glimpse into the lives and homes of the wurmians,
the citizens and the protagonists of Wurm Online.

Welcome to the settlement of Newspring.

The island Xanadu's largest Community.

It is a young settlement, but it has an ambition which is hard to match, to be the largest and greatest city in all the lands of Wurm.

What you are seeing before you has been build from nothing, into this blossoming community in only 3 months.

Every day they grow and expand, every day they work together, learn and teach.

The settlement of Newspring holds them as horsebold, new-blood and hardened veterans some dating back as far as 7 years when they first walked through the portal to the lands of Wurm.

Veterans of the old lands have been skeptic of this young eager endeavor. Steady it will be, but a meager accomplishment compared to the great cities of history.

But with 200 villagers, Newspring is quickly raising impressive monuments and buildings to take these arguments out of the equation. Making more of the veteran builders and architects, want to take part, in pushing the limits of creation in the lands of Wurm.

Because when you have the strength of 200 pioneering settlers to fuel your vision, there are very few limitations.

Newspring recruits, that are all in the able, are supplied to a training, (with) tools and work. As well as a goal, a meaning and a home.

Newspring of course has many stories to tell and sights to share. Once, a champion beast attacked the settlement, wiping out nearly all settlers, before finally being put down by their battered and brave warriors.

In remembrance to the occasion, they painted a large cart with it's blood, so when rode down the streets, it is a symbol for their struggle and success.

Some nearby settlements were initially hostile to the expanding community. Ordering their guards to kill Newspring settlers on sight. But, after initiating talks of diplomacy between all mayors of the settlements, they finally came to terms.

One of the more ambitious projects so far is an underground shipyard and tunnel, this tunnel, is so long, that it connects to the sea where the settlement of Newspring has it's second point of interest, the docks.

The community is not run with a strategem, rather in a spear of vision and mutual interest, mayor Phennexion, is the man holding this vision, but plans as they are taking form, change to include the will of the community, because this is not an ambitious man having his way, it is about fueling an ambitious community who is wanting to grow and expand.

-longer pause-

And so they strive, slowly getting closer to the greatest achievement of them all.

If you want to visit or enlist, you can find Newspring marked in the lower left corner on the Xanadu map.

Thanks for watching, enjoy your time in Wurm Online.

Note 1: I got REALLY confused over the hard-accented "citizens", what the hell i thought means that? ... i knew it had be something around residents, but still... laughed hard when i finally understood it.
Note 2: The other hard bit was the one when the video shows the collosi of Newspring and saying something about "horse-bold" ...and bloody veterans... ~ think i still didn't understand it fully yet, but either Johan or Stormray might enlighten us on this one.

Hope the subtitles will be useful to someone or another, deciphering some things was at least useful to me, to understand the whole video a bit better. As part of the agreement between Code Club AB and the user (when registering for official forum), everything written in forum can be used in any way they see fit - so do what you want with the subtitles. ;)

Just want to add some improvements of my own:
Johan, pick up some pace when talking, re-record it 10+ times if you must, at one point we could practically forget what you said before you continued, that's not optimal as introduction to WWN at all.

The introduction, when it was fixed here and there, could be used over and over again ~ just ... let's say, some spectater view over the landscape of Wurm might be more interesting to look at (try zooming into a map shown on one of those globes for example! That had be an awesome effect). And this spectating aspect might be changed every episode or alternatively every 10 episodes (or season?), like the opening of some successful show.

As for the main part of the presentation - it sounded like some of that stuff said can be repeated over and over again for many settlements, except the unsuccessful ones. It really sounded like a recruitment video, due to the part about what recruits get when they join and the last bit about visiting it (tho the last bit could be changed to "visit" without "and enlist".).

I found it very interesting to see a settlement, i knew nothing about, up close without having to take the trip down there myself.

I would vote for an episode 2, 3, 4, 5.... and 10 if you like as season 1 of WWN. ^^
Tho i might not do the subtitles for all... unless getting paid something to compensate for the time i spend doing it (ingame of course). :P

Thanks to Elwood (in-game) for providing me with the correct name of the named mayor.

PS: If you want me to make a subtitle as file with timeline and the like, tell me which program, give me a link to the RAW video and i might just do that, just can't promise anything. ;)

Good job, this is a great idea.

Could be nice to create some kind of platform with all the video like a youtube channel or something.

It's a nice idea and i can see a way here to gather the entire wurm community together by showing what is happening on each server to people from other server, either pve or pvp.

I am looking forward for new videos and i hope every video will bring some new distractions for us coming from our community.

I wonder what could come next: unique slaying ? pvp raid ? beautiful settlement ? impressive action ? the wurm team singing together ?.... surprise us !

thanks ;)

Great video! Make more :-)

Now, to live up to the round globe ideal and connect pristine/release east side to chaos west side :P

The idea of a new cast is cool.  How ever an unpaid for city advertisement is not right.  That was not news it was an infomercial at best, and open game sponsorship of a select few at the worst.  If it was news then their would have been a interview of those that find the city to be a less glorious thing, perhaps neighbors who’s gaming experience has been negatively impacted by the actions of the city you glorified.

The idea of a new cast is cool.  How ever an unpaid for city advertisement is not right.  That was not news it was an infomercial at best, and open game sponsorship of a select few at the worst.  If it was news then their would have been a interview of those that find the city to be a less glorious thing, perhaps neighbors who’s gaming experience has been negatively impacted by the actions of the city you glorified.

BREAKING NEWS!

Local feuds continue on Xanadu! The citizen of Newspring is accused of harvesting Trepper's pumpkin field!

Trepper retaliated by cutting down 3 chestnut trees in Newsprings perimeter!

The server is in an uproar!

Next up: Foals or Baby Seals, which one is the cutest?

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 10

Thank you everyone for your unending support for everything!

oh, suggestion for the next video: something like showing the new BL home server and how they are coming together to build it up would be great, show the sprawling growth of Mycelium...and throw in a little bit of PVP into the video too so new people can see something more (more than peasants pushing dirt, j/k). Maybe show how they deal with griefers and problem-childs like DLB in the video, hehe    :D

I already did something like this, but I would love to see an official video on this.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYQ8nZ74W2U

• Like 2

Haha thanks RedBaron Johan!! This video was great!! 

For anyone looking to join Newspring City we're still recruiting!! :) PM me for more info!

• Like 2

You should eventually do a compilation of several different villages from each server.  Videos like this showing single villages are great and could be the majority of the episodes, but every handful of episodes you should compile like 5 different villages as some kind of showcase.  Maybe this compilation could be of some of the older villages (1 year plus) while the single-village episodes are based off of new villages.

Let me be the first to volunteer my village of Storm's End on Independence as part of a showcase!

• Like 1

A very nice narrative and visual pictorial of the creation of a Village within Wurm. I see it as both a good descriptive advertisement for the game, as well as an enjoyable view for current Wurmians. Looking forward to seeing the WWNews continuing and evolving over time. Well done!

Safe Travels

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Does Milosanx know you're cutting into his schtick?

Haha, you are funny Dairuka :)

Perhaps there is need of a video of you filling in the inner sea (inde)

I think everyone should do wurm videos, more the better and by looking at the views already I'd hope that these new video will reach further out into the mmo gaming community. We all know wurm needs more exposure.

As for new videos ---

Glasshollow (Rocky) asked me to come back to do a video on the market just before impalong, but if you guys covered that it would be a good video.

I have to say kingdom aside "Kratos" would be a great village to cover. I know that defensive info would be touchy but all in all even with that info Kratos would be really tough to penetrate, it aint just 2 walls to get through :P

I really need to get hold of some of that flying video action, thats just hax.

• Like 1

Great start, Johan!

I like the format - the introduction by a developer and then off to the story we go. And using Stormray is a great idea - his voice is perfect for these videos. Can we keep him? :)

Again, well done and can't wait for more. Perhaps one day, I'd love to be featured there too.

• Like 2

Newspring village has increased in size and detail GREATLY, since I lived there.  Just amazing!

I loved it though 2 comments that come to mind

1)  Take some pointers from BlackLight Epic News, some fun would make it even better.

2)  Be careful of crossing the line of emersion into false advertising

(instead of painting the cart with the blood of your foe - painted the cart to represent the blood of your foe)

• Like 1