Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

The way it looks

ok my questions on this are...

1. at some point rolf could u give us a time/date of when we all need to go to wild

2. let everyone know so deffo about the freedom server (going there but no leaving) because not being aloud to leave that server dont make any sense.

3. you say you are resetting arties and uniques but what about all the landscape, maps ect.

4. there is speak of home servers closing down is this for good or while you reset things ect?

is it so hard to give people an inbeetween choice? instead of being forced to choose beetween the one or the other? i like both the 'care bear' style of play and the pvp on wild. but iv lived on wild before and i almost quit, infact, one friend did.

is it so wrong to want to have a bit of both styles of play?

i for one like living on the home servers, its far more of a friendly enviroment but i like wild too, but i couldnt live there.

your new concept means i will either have to choose to live on the freedom server, or wild. where as i have friends on both. so i'd have to disregard those i know on one server or the other..

is it so wrong to just fix the style of play were used to, rather than screw it and force us to choose beetween pvp and non pvp?

Rolf, What will happen with players that are on JKH that are not prem?

All servers from what I understand (may be mistaken) are all Premium.

What about people who are not able to move their characters for various reasons prior to shutting down the home servers?

And the point milp made about the people moving from Home servers to Wild, that is a valid one.  I can see them being killed prior to them making either their own settlements or joining existing wild settlements.

Hm now that i think about it:

The epic server is a nice idea and all, but don't you think it's a little conventional?

I understand your will to push things forward and get more players to join wurm and everything.

Wild is and was supposed to be the completely freeform PVP war, with player made kingdoms, where players could decide about each and every aspect without getting ganged by scenarios or set goals.

Instead of tinkering with a new server that will cost money again, why not replace the home servers by the freedom server, leave wild as it is, and instead work on FEATURES that get people to play wurm.

Features like Player Made Kingdoms and alliances, Buildable bridges, sheep, bugfixes, balanced pvp, a Proper and welcoming newbie tutorial and all the other things people have been requesting for ages.

Instead of fixing outstanding issues (Transfer between servers causing weekend warriors or unique theft and all that) by blocking or disallowing them, you/we need to work out working solutions that still keep these abilities open to everyone. This is a sandbox game that is all about freedom, not a 'game decides where player goes' game like half life 2 singleplayer.

Features and gameplay are what gets people really into the game, not a different server setup.

This is not a 'weh, i don't like your idea' response, i'm just concerned about the way wurm is going in the feature.

The current home servers will shut down for good when the migration is done. I updated the comment about returning to wild from the freedom servers since you need to know. You will be limited with regards to your skills and may not bring any items back. Some of the players on the new freedom server have made that pretty clear.

You will be able to leave that server and go to the wild server later. In order to avoid accusations of exploitation your skills will be permanently reduced to a max (30) and you will not be able to bring any items.

Wait wait I'm confused. Do you mean once you leave the freedom server and go to wild your skills will FOREVER be capped at 30 unable to go any higher than that? That is what it sounds like you are implying using the words "permanently" and "max". You need to be crystal clear on this and give as detailed a description as possible. Give some scenarios and examples if possible.

hi Rolf i think that  if you send some jk to mr and some to bl it may help with the other kingdom. some ppl might not like it at first but i think it will be best for the game in the long run :)

You will be able to leave that server and go to the wild server later. In order to avoid accusations of exploitation your skills will be permanently reduced to a max (30) and you will not be able to bring any items.

Just wanting to clarify this before anyone starts shouting... I assume you don't actually mean "permanently", Rolf? I.e. you don't mean they get set back to 30 and cannot be raised from there?

I'm guessing you mean they are set back to 30, you will not gain back any of the points you lost over time (as has been suggested in some posts), but you can then raise them once again like everyone else.

Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.  ;)

EDIT: Too slow... Dreadder got there first  ::)

hi Rolf i think that  if you send some jk to mr and some to bl it may help with the other kingdom. some ppl might not like it at first but i think it will be best for the game in the long run :)

forcing people to a kingdom isn't a good idea.

Looks like a good plan.

Please add a "check item limit" action on the inventory and boats so people don't get nasty surprises when sailing to freedom.

To not block future options of opening travel between servers, you could add a flag on all unique titles and items (created after the reset) that states which of the three lands it originated from. Those items/titles could be filtered when crossing between freedom/wild/epic later on, if it turns out that travel is desirable (also wild -> freedom exit route). Just to have "problematic" items not cause problems on future decisions.

I'm rather very unhappy about how things are going to be then, a little upset even. At least make it possible to sail a ship to freedom from the current home servers, please. I would have liked to see loading animals into a passenger slots as well, before having to move. But you're probably too busy coding the scenario engine now ;p

• You will be able to leave that server and go to the wild server later. In order to avoid accusations of exploitation your skills will be permanently reduced to a max (30) and you will not be able to bring any items.

Can you explain this in more detail Rolf?

As I read it, you are going to make the Freedom and Wild servers completely seperate, with unreasonable penalties for switching between them.

Make it cost a convert point. Give people the choice to change between Freedom and Wild if they have thought about it!

We set up a new freedom lands that is totally non-pvp with possible griefing at a minimum.

People will be able to use portals and sail there (if I can set it up) from any existing server. There are no skill losses. You can bring your money and 200 items on you and 100 items more in a boat. This should be ample to start up for one person and it is not a good idea to clutter the new database.

I'm rather very unhappy about how things are going to be then, a little upset even. At least make it possible to sail a ship to freedom from the current home servers, please. I would have liked to see loading animals into a passenger slots as well, before having to move. But you're probably too busy coding the scenario engine now ;p

At least take the time to READ THE OP!!  :P

Think he said one month...that starts my clock ticking.

Was making a post when I saw Rolf's post.

SO

OK, its a go.... I will shut down PvP / KvK etc till the migration is done.  Everyone has a month to move and set up on the wild server.

We will advise when the pvp/ kvk is allowed again.

Thanks

So even if you're just visiting old friends? when you go back to freedom you will have 30 in all skills? Big penalty just to say hi  :-X

So even if you're just visiting old friends? when you go back to freedom you will have 30 in all skills? Big penalty just to say hi  :-X

That's the way it's got to be, MD.

And since you probably want to say a big "Hi!" with your sword and maul, it's probably for the best.  :P

And since you probably want to say a big "Hi!" with your sword and maul, it's probably for the best.  :P

and leave with drake

and sail there (if I can set it up)

I did read it very thoroughly and it doesn't sound like it's 100% sure that you will be able to sail there. "if I can set it up" sounds very very vague. Thanks for reading me :P

So ORACLE....Does that mean its shut down nowore when the migration starts in a month

Just make separate inventories for Wild and Freedom jeez. Theres no reason to nerf someones skills down to 30 permanently because they want to visit friends

and sail there (if I can set it up)

I did read it very thoroughly and it doesn't sound like it's 100% sure that you will be able to sail there. "if I can set it up" sounds very very vague. Thanks for reading me :P

Personally, I'm of the opinion that if someone has said they will try and do something, then they either can or can't - pleading for them to do it after they've said this isn't going to change the reality of whether it's possible or not.

Sure you want to take a boat - we all do. I've got a cog loaded with stuff that's taken weeks to make just sitting there ready to go. But I'm not banging on about it... if I can take it, I can; if not, I'll live without it.

• You will be able to leave that server and go to the wild server later. In order to avoid accusations of exploitation your skills will be permanently reduced to a max (30) and you will not be able to bring any items.

[...]
  • You loose kingdom setting when you get to the freedom server.
  • There is no ore cap, no skill cap. The unique creatures will exist.
  • Champions can not leave for this server. There will be a possibility to de-champ but the wild server will remain so there probably is no reason.

[...]

4) A new server type is going to be introduced called Epic or scenario lands. There is no current ETA but my aim is before the summer.

• The target audience for the epic lands is those who play mainly to have effect on the story of the game.
  • It will be like a wild server in most respects but it will run a scenario engine (to be programmed).
  • Every scenario will have a winner or a winning group that will receive some kind of rewards. Their names and what they did will be broadcast and recorded in game.
  • A scenario drives the story forward and changes the setting of the game. They are randomly generated and the story moves in different directions depending on who wins.
  • In every scenario the kingdoms and/or religions will cooperate to achieve their set goal. The goal may be to build something, change something, protect someone, destroy something, stop the other side. Things like that.
  • A scenario will run for somewhere between 3 months and a year.
  • A scenario may trigger natural disasters or even cataclysmic events. This may damage property, players and creatures and incur skill losses. These events will be rare - usually only when certain scenarios end.
  • If you wish to join the scenario server from an existing server your skills will be reduced to somewhere around 30.
  • You will be able to travel between scenario servers in case we need more. They will still all run the same scenario though.

So my thoughts an all this:

Moving to and from a wild server should not be so harshly punished; skill loss that high... sorry but that discourages anyone to move there in case he want's to PVP... I'd set the skill loss to 30% in case it's above 50 and down to 50 in any other case it cannot go below 50. Bringing no items with You means You land with no possibility to protect Yourself from environment not to mention possible players on the way to a desired village...

Let ppl take up to 15-25 items total... (Armor, weapons some food and water maybe cotton and HCs)

As for loosing kingdom setting... don't find it a good idea... Kingdoms should be allowed on freedom server but their only function would be having it in case You move over to Wild/Epic server.

Unique monsters should also respawn on Freedom but much less frequently then on Wild. As for ore cap when moving over to wild loose 50% quality of items/enchants should be sufficient penalty in case someone does want to move over.

Champions should be bound to one of 3 servers with the option to teleport for the time of migration between servers and after that with the option to dechamp in case they want to move to a different server.

Epic server sounds fun but I'm afraid will have pretty few ppl willing to risk their skills, material loss is another matter ^^ that i'm willing to accept if I would be living there.

Apart all of the above

There should be implemented a way for erosion of soil/dirt/buildings. The more a building is damaged the worse it should look like to a point of collapsing inside (building plan but with ruins in it which then fade away). Dirt that has been dug up when dmg reaches 100 should simply turn into 1 more steep on a corner of that tile. Tiles that have no deed/hs/house or other signs of human working on it should start to erode to their former shape (original steep) at the rate of say 1 steep/month; things that would stop that is would be:

farms, packing the dirt, chopping/planting trees/bushes, opening a mine shaft (each tile connected with a mine shaft entrance does not erode until it caves in), fences/walls, digging, having a guard tower atop of it (connected tiles do not erode), beeing paved (pavements should erode and maintainance can be performed as well as consistent walking also maintains the pavement a bit).

Pavements should erode as well (as mentioned above) where gravel cannot be maintained other then by walking over it or adding more stone.

Flat terrain made by player hand should eventually slide down as the settlement is abandoned (whereas underwater parts tend to gulp up the sand/dirt so as to balance dirt appearing on land that goes down with sliding).

One more thing i'd like to see happen is a differentiation between iron, steel, bronze, brass, silver, gold made items (similar as wood has it's properties like ceddar - decay; oak - durability).

[...]
  • You loose kingdom setting when you get to the freedom server.
  • There is no ore cap, no skill cap. The unique creatures will exist.
  • Champions can not leave for this server. There will be a possibility to de-champ but the wild server will remain so there probably is no reason.

[...]

4) A new server type is going to be introduced called Epic or scenario lands. There is no current ETA but my aim is before the summer.

• The target audience for the epic lands is those who play mainly to have effect on the story of the game.
  • It will be like a wild server in most respects but it will run a scenario engine (to be programmed).
  • Every scenario will have a winner or a winning group that will receive some kind of rewards. Their names and what they did will be broadcast and recorded in game.
  • A scenario drives the story forward and changes the setting of the game. They are randomly generated and the story moves in different directions depending on who wins.
  • In every scenario the kingdoms and/or religions will cooperate to achieve their set goal. The goal may be to build something, change something, protect someone, destroy something, stop the other side. Things like that.
  • A scenario will run for somewhere between 3 months and a year.
  • A scenario may trigger natural disasters or even cataclysmic events. This may damage property, players and creatures and incur skill losses. These events will be rare - usually only when certain scenarios end.
  • If you wish to join the scenario server from an existing server your skills will be reduced to somewhere around 30.
  • You will be able to travel between scenario servers in case we need more. They will still all run the same scenario though.

So my thoughts an all this:

Moving to and from a wild server should not be so harshly punished; skill loss that high... sorry but that discourages anyone to move there in case he want's to PVP... I'd set the skill loss to 30% in case it's above 50 and down to 50 in any other case it cannot go below 50. Bringing no items with You means You land with no possibility to protect Yourself from environment not to mention possible players on the way to a desired village...

Let ppl take up to 15-25 items total... (Armor, weapons some food and water maybe cotton and HCs)

As for loosing kingdom setting... don't find it a good idea... Kingdoms should be allowed on freedom server but their only function would be having it in case You move over to Wild/Epic server.

No items.. Its already been discussed. Then farming of uniques is easily possible. Maybe you dont see that as a potential problem but it is. I think Rolf's idea with the 30 skill thing is pretty good, and no items transferable is a good choice also.

And the freedom server is mainly for Non PvP players.. Why does everything always go back to PvP players? there shouldn't be kingdoms because perhaps 5% of the server MIGHT want to go back to the PvP server

so just for putting in the effort to work your skills to a point where you can be handy in pvp, but at the same time put the effort in to live on home and be involved with the community...

we get punished?

those of us who like to be involved with both sides of the game have to either sacrifice one or the other? this is a game breaking idea your putting forth here rolf...

people will be immensly put off putting in the time and money to build up skills and being restricted to the one gaming style or the other.

i still say have the 2 homeservers and wild. reset the maps, give us ample time to build up on the homeservers and make it so the maps somewhat defendable and stick in inter server raiding again.

and your concept of nerfing skills just for visiting is terrible as hell. cant you just make it so we have to spend like a month on each before we can cross? make it so you cant cross with any items once you set up, if your that bloody put off about people going back and forth trading.