Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

The way it looks

If you are about to get in to this discussion, you should read the argumentation in this thread first:

http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=19147.0

My conclusion is that the best solution that aggravates the least of you and pleases the most is

1) We set up a new freedom lands that is totally non-pvp with possible griefing at a minimum.

• People will be able to use portals and sail there (if I can set it up) from any existing server. There are no skill losses. You can bring your money and 200 items on you and 100 items more in a boat. This should be ample to start up for one person and it is not a good idea to clutter the new database.
  • You will be able to leave that server and go to the wild server later. In order to avoid accusations of exploitation your skills will be immediately reduced to a max (30) and you will not be able to bring any items. Then you will be able to raise them again of course.
  • When more freedom servers are needed you will be able to travel between those.
  • Portals from GV to the freedom server is opened.
  • You loose kingdom setting when you get to the freedom server.
  • There is no ore cap, no skill cap. The unique creatures will exist.
  • Champions can not leave for this server. There will be a possibility to de-champ but the wild server will remain so there probably is no reason.

2) At the same time we declare that remaining players must gather on the wild server. The old home servers have various issues and will have low population.

• People will be able to use portals and sail there (if I can set it up) from the current home servers. There are no skill losses. You can bring your money and as many items as you wish because that is how it works already and I can not limit that today.
  • The portals from GV to the current home servers are closed.

3) After a month the current home servers are shut down and you can no longer get from wild to the freedom server.

• The uniques on wild will respawn.
  • The artifacts on wild will reset.

4) A new server type is going to be introduced called Epic or scenario lands. There is no current ETA but my aim is before the summer.

• The target audience for the epic lands is those who play mainly to have effect on the story of the game.
  • It will be like a wild server in most respects but it will run a scenario engine (to be programmed).
  • Every scenario will have a winner or a winning group that will receive some kind of rewards. Their names and what they did will be broadcast and recorded in game.
  • A scenario drives the story forward and changes the setting of the game. They are randomly generated and the story moves in different directions depending on who wins.
  • In every scenario the kingdoms and/or religions will cooperate to achieve their set goal. The goal may be to build something, change something, protect someone, destroy something, stop the other side. Things like that.
  • A scenario will run for somewhere between 3 months and a year.
  • A scenario may trigger natural disasters or even cataclysmic events. This may damage property, players and creatures and incur skill losses. These events will be rare - usually only when certain scenarios end.
  • If you wish to join the scenario server from an existing server your skills will be reduced to somewhere around 30.
  • You will be able to travel between scenario servers in case we need more. They will still all run the same scenario though.

no skill or map reset for wild?

total +1 on this... need the artifacts and uniques reset!

Also this will be good for the population of wild and currently MR needs alot more people! Feel free to join the good guys.

no skill or map reset for wild?

total +1 on this... need the artifacts and uniques reset!

Also this will be good for the population of wild and currently MR needs alot more people! Feel free to join the good guys.

The entire plan is great, especially the artifacts and uniques, just as you've said. Way to go Rolf!

You're clinging to this epic server idea Rolf, and I just can't see it working at all. The storyline in Wurm always has and probably always will be its weakest point, and basing a whole server around it just seems setting it up to fail. With respect - you're no author, you're a programmer and unless you want to hire a professional "storyline artist", anything you or a community volunteer comes up with for this story server is probably going to be second rate at best.

To be frank you're playing to your weaknesses instead of your strengths, and it's going to get Wurm into trouble.

We'll see about that Robert. If it fails it fails but that's what I want to do:)

Quite simply that sounds perfect to me!  Even Epic - now I read the new description - is something i understand and can see the value of for some players.

All the best Rolf - and thanks for the information and discussion. 

Sounds good to me, Rolf.

Question about moving to Freedom - 200 items and 100 items in boat - this will be like GV portal transfers and mailing i.e. each item inside a container, as well as each container counts?

Just need to start drawing up my list... :D

cool ok, i just cant understand why u cannot leave the freedom server if u chose to live there :-/

edit - and are you still resetting the maps/landscape?

Is there a timeline when the changes will happen? There is currently not much else to do but hunting, grinding and preparing for the move.

*puts away the pickaxe*

so far this sounds pretty ok to me, I have a few questions though

-) will the lights stay on wild?

-) if you go to an epic server, can you go back to the wild server? and what happens to your skills if you do? do you get the skills back you had when go got there from wild to epic?

-) why reset the arifacts? with the players from JK and MR home coming to wild it is likely MR and BL will gain strength again. apart from that we have worked hard to collect the artifacts as it is. everyone is invited to try and get them. it's not like we cheated our way to get them.

-) why reset uniques? for me personally that only means free drake/scale/titles for the strongest fraction, which is JK atm. this seems to be unfair for the other fractions.

Much more clarity there thanks!!

Most questions focus around the epic server as its really the only big change.

is there an entrance period after which you can't go there or can you join at any point? Thinking that late joiners will be way behind the people who started at the beginning in all ways.

You invest anything like 3+ months of your wurm time, what happens to all your skill gains during that period, do you just go back to how you were or do you get a partial bump to old skills on exit based on what you did in the epic servre?

What happens if you have to pull out, for example a big attack against your town on wild and you need to go back to help defend, can you rejoin as you were when you left or is it start over or not allowed at all?

Would the rewards to the individual players be something that cannot be crafted in the normal game, eg spyglasses, 10 hr invokable sleep bonus amulet, cool title etc.. or something not so visible, say perma 1% skill gain bonus

The epic server has a direct impact on the storyline which indicates that at the end of the epic scenario, the results feed directly back to the Wild server causing an event or something similar right?

and once your planning looks more settled, please a timeline would be grea.

edit:

rather than just reset uniques it would be cooler if you strategically unleashed them with relevance to the storyline. Goblin invasion anyone ;)

My proposal for the epic server would be to give the winners something they really want. I'm not good with balancing, to be honest, so I can't make a suggestion what it should be. Probably the best would be something you actually can use, it gets used up and is bound to the account where you got it, so people actually want to engage in a fight to get it.

And more importantly, give people a reason to join the underdog.

Great post Rolf, a lot clearer than before!

1 question.. So I am currently on MR - H, will I be able to portal straight to the freedom server or do I have to go to wild first?

We'll see about that Robert. If it fails it fails but that's what I want to do:)

Of course :) I don't mean to sound overly critical, and I absolutely understand you wanting to follow your vision. I just think it's important that you hear the dissenting views as well, and not just "great idea Rolf!". Whatever happens, the next few months will be interesting to see.

Hopefully there will be portals to the freedom servers in a lot of places during the migration month.

Maybe there needs to be no limit for leaving the scenario server to get to wild. But if you want to get back in you will have your skills reduced to the limit again. Whatever that becomes.

I am not sure that there will be a skillgain increase on the scenario servers since they don't automatically reset. A new scenario just starts with new goals.

You may be able to leave that server later but there are no guarantees.

Does this mean travel between Freedom and Wild server?

You may be able to leave that server later but there are no guarantees.

Does this mean travel between Freedom and Wild server?

As johnnyrascle said, a new inventory (and a fresh skill list).

Anyway thats what i would want heh, with no mailing to wild / freedom servers.

Thank you Rolf, I am on board with your plans. Standing by to sail/port to Freedom and become a much more active Player of Wurm again. :)

2) At the same time we declare that remaining players must gather on the wild server. The old home servers have various issues and will have low population.

People will be able to use portals and sail there (if I can set it up) from the current home servers. There are no skill losses. You can bring your money and as many items as you wish because that is how it works already and I can not limit that today.

The portals from GV to the current home servers are closed.

3) After a month the current home servers are shut down and you can no longer get from wild to the freedom server.

The uniques on wild will respawn.

The artifacts on wild will reset.

Does this mean that the current home servers are going to be permanently closed? will they be turned into epic servers?

I, for one, would like the current home servers to remain.

This looks like a good move.

Not everyone will agree but it will work and move us on to the next phase.

Thanks

You need to do 1 of 2 things Rolf.

A. You need to announce with absolute positivity if you will EVER be allowed to leave the Freedom server or not. There can't be any ifs, ands or buts about it. People will need to know. If you don't announce it or don't allow people to leave then see B.

B. Reset Wild. New uniques is not enough. The map is old and stale and has been explored beyond measure. There are too many old abandoned towns, too many terraformed eyesores taking up space and too many existing towers built all over making it unfair to the people FORCED to move there if they don't want to be perma-stuck in carebear land.

Another important thing to keep in mind:

When forcing everyone to leave the home servers, establish a pvp block on wild to ensure that all the home people don't get ###### and slaughtered upon arriving.

what will be reset on wild, landscape, items and skills? or just the landscape or just the artifacts and uniques?

if your planning to go to freedom, can you stay on home till you do so or go to wild?

those who stay on home, can they be moved to wild as a base, but still have portals to freedom from the starter towns?

if you de-champ, could it be just the religion skills that are lowered? and none of the other skills, or would everything be changed?

You need to do 1 of 2 things Rolf.

A. You need to announce with absolute positivity if you will EVER be allowed to leave the Freedom server or not. There can't be any ifs, ands or buts about it. People will need to know. If you don't announce it or don't allow people to leave then see B.

id say this, you need to tell everyone before its added if you can leave freedom, and what will be needed to add a new server, plus, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check the terrain of the servers before you add them, DO NOT make a mr home disaster again ¬¬

When forcing everyone to leave the home servers, establish a pvp block on wild to ensure that all the home people don't get ###### and slaughtered upon arriving.

good point ha ha XD

I think he already said earlier that if he manages to make it, you'd be able to sail over to freedom from any server...