Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Rolf - Please Explain Your Plans and Stop the Exodus!

Wurm online ~Where you narrate your own story, If it is of fortune and fame or crying and shame. All you must do is fill the page.

Spending hours travelling in winds is what kills the fun for me. Not sure about the rest of the people though, it's probably an accumulation of travel times, bugs never being fixed and the fact that the fall is ALWAYS less populated since that's when students get busy and people in general get more to do at work.

• Like 4

Spending hours travelling in ###### winds is what kills the fun for me. Not sure about the rest of the people though, it's probably an accumulation of travel times, bugs never being fixed and the fact that the fall is ALWAYS less populated since that's when students get busy and people in general get more to do at work.

Last year, it was vacation season during the summer time, and that was why the population was down during that time. Everybody was busy having vacations.

It had nothing to do with the game constantly being offline for hours, sometimes days at a time. Obviously it was the Vacation Season that did it.

When Christmas time comes around and the population dips, it's because it's Christmas time and people are busy during the holidays.

If the population dips during January, naturally it's upcoming finals for students. If the population dips during Spring time, it's because everybody is magically taking the finals.

Then summer will come along and we'll all be able to blame it on the Vacation Season again.

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 2

I think a lot of the dropped premiums are alts that were used on P&R i know i dropped my Pristine alt and sold out almost everything and moved to Xanadu so there is one of the 1000 dropped and i am sure there are many more with the same thing.

It will only get worse as the trader deal gets sorted and if they were smart they would get that done fast so everyone can settle into the new ways. There is also the new server burnout that i always go through once the first few months of a new server are over just needing to take a break. (granted that wont drop premiums a lot but will slow the in-game economy some) 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Wurm comes off a high with record premium numbers. If half the people leave, there's still more subscribers than 2 years ago.

• Like 1

Some still put a tear on travel times. Why? Ruing the immersion of travelling some more and get portals to every starter deed in freedom cluster?

Player base has been dropping nicely and numbers comes mostly from alt accounts. Nice that they pay but there still should be more "real" players.

The Landrush of Xanadu was big joke. No effort was made in marketing the landrush event. Yes no effort.

But i'm sure i will stick around till last breath of Wurm online. Like the game...not the direction it has been going many years.

Sky falling again is it? Seems about that time of year.

arrow_down.jpg

Down is down. 1000 less is 16%. The Titanic was just fine until the water went over the bulkheads.

Even if that 1000 premiums down is alts stuffed in a bed until whenever the owner sees fit to pull them back out, it's 1000 x 16 Euro a month.

This happens every year and every year there is an identical thread with redundant information.

• Like 9

Wurm comes off a high with record premium numbers. If half the people leave, there's still more subscribers than 2 years ago.

I am not clear how you are seeing "obvious trends" in a graph that looks like this:

paying-year.png

It's down compared to the July High (which was clearly triggered by Xanadu, and resembles many MMOs up-down bumps after some sort of major update) but still looks to be overall above September 2013. 

You are comparing two different non-comparable months and somehow declaring it to be a major trend. 

HERE is a major trend for you. It doesn't cover 2014 but if it did we'd be "off the charts"  :

VqWr5.png

source is this forum thread

We didnt have payed staff back then did we?

wait -- so now you are using the fact that Rolf can finally afford a paid staff, as proof that things are only getting worse?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 5

Yeah... You're looking at a few months' span, AFTER the initial "shiny new server" bubble, and trying to read something into it.

According to this graph, 1000 premium players have left since the first of July (~6200 down to ~5200 in ~90 days!).

Most of those 1,000 premium accounts were alts (most one month premium alts) used to secure deeds on Xanadu and nothing more. Another big percent is people that had alts both on new and old clusters. 

The values now are those pre-Xanadu, which is normal. Is the very same thing that happened on P&R release. People made new characters for the new deeds / lands, but since everyone pretty much has a budget, they eventually settle with either the old or the new one.

And yeah, is somehow worrying that there were no long-term gains from Xanadu and that the population is not spread over more servers, but is definitely not a tragedy or a sign of impeding doom.

The price is affordable for the core game (one premium char and one reasonable size deed can easily be maintained with 10 euros/month option), and it only gets expensive as people want more and more.

So... all's good from my perspective. ;)

Edited by Lovefall

You can pay with silvers, lot of people do that.

Sure, and I wasn't counting deed income at all either.

arrow_down.jpg

Down is down. 1000 less is 16%. The Titanic was just fine until the water went over the bulkheads.

You make a good point, of course unless my original point is true, and this is a normal dip during this time of the year like every previous year, in which case they'll be expecting it . . . and it isn't a problem.

Even if that 1000 premiums down is alts stuffed in a bed until whenever the owner sees fit to pull them back out, it's 1000 x 16 Euro a month.

8e a month* not 16 . . .

You could instead, look at it this way too . . .

Normal premium population is about 5,200, rolf made a move and increase his business temporarily, and that has faded and it is now back to normal.

Really though, anyone preaching 'the sky is falling, here is proof' is a fool.. you are the first to make a thread like this, and you won't be the last.. because wurm will continue to be around

Edited by Xor

I think Brash Endeavors said it very well. Looking at a very small window on a very long termed graph like that, is abit misleading.

• Like 1

This thread should be closed. It's like asking why knit hats don't sell as much in July as they do in December.

• Like 1

+1 remove Exodus, and Cele and Rel and Pris for that matter.

Wait, that's not what this thread is about?

Well, a prem count drop after a new server opens = totally normal. There would have been a lot of toons premmed to settle Xanax, then mains could come over and those toons aren't needed anymore.

• Like 1

Pfff the number of premium accounts and players is still higher than it was even two years, as indicated by a proper graphical analysis on annual trends (waaaaay more than say gold and even goldv2... remember when 20+ people on Wild meant a raid was imminent)

The number of subs will always fluctuate for several reasons throughout any given year.

If and when Rolf and Co. feel there is an actual crisis, they are the ones in a position to be the first to know and react.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

I want to know what % of people JOINED wurm for Xanadu and what % stayed.

All Xanadu did was spread out the freedom population, IT WAS A JOKE.

• Like 5

I don't care about freedom. The cool kids play in chaos, the best server ever.

I had to use an old graph earlier. But luckily we had some spies digging through the trashbins outside CODE CLUB offices and they found this

wurm_subs2.png

ok the squiggle line is made up and I MAY have made up the sidebar commentary (I ain't saying) but the start and end points are accurate, and a lot more accurate than plastic clipart charts from Google Images

There is no sudden recent   MASS EXODUS  from the game

(well maybe initially after the premium subscription hike 18 months ago, but eventually we all came crawling back on our bellies like whipped curs)

Instead the premium subs have been slowly climbing over the past couple years.

MAIN BULLET POINTS

• We are ahead of where we were one year ago
  • We are way ahead of where we were two years ago
  • We are way REALLY ahead of where we were three years ago
  • there are ALWAYS ups and downs between those points
Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 17

I had to use an old graph earlier. But luckily we had some spies digging through the trashbins outside CODE CLUB offices and they found this

wurm_subs2.png

ok the squiggle line is made up and I MAY have made up the sidebar commentary (I ain't saying) but the start and end points are accurate, and a lot more accurate than plastic clipart charts from Google Images

There is no sudden recent   MASS EXODUS  from the game

(well maybe initially after the premium subscription hike 18 months ago, but eventually we all came crawling back on our bellies like whipped curs)

Instead the premium subs have been slowly climbing over the past couple years.

MAIN BULLET POINTS

• We are ahead of where we were one year ago

We are way ahead of where we were two years ago

We are way REALLY ahead of where we were three years ago

there are ALWAYS ups and downs between those points

The only thing is that last year (or maybe 2 years ago, I can't keep track of time) Rolf stepped into the capitalist game where he now NEEDS growth to pay for the people he hired and investments he did, unlike previous years where it was basically a 2 man operation slowly drifting along. I'm scared of bad decisions trying to beat the impossible growth standards.

The only thing is that last year (or maybe 2 years ago, I can't keep track of time) Rolf stepped into the capitalist game where he now NEEDS growth to pay for the people he hired and investments he did, unlike previous years where it was basically a 2 man operation slowly drifting along. I'm scared of bad decisions trying to beat the impossible growth standards.

What impossible growth standards specifically?

The crises?

That it's no longer summer in the US, thus premiums drop!

Solution?

DESTROY SCHOOL! (There just fail daycares anyway)

• Like 2

"The end is coming, the end is coming! No seriously, I mean it this time you guys! Guys? :("

• Like 12