Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Rolf - Please Explain Your Plans and Stop the Exodus!

Solution to all problems.... 10x more animals on all servers :o  xanadu and BRIDGES

That's good enough for me.

"The end is coming, the end is coming! No seriously, I mean it this time you guys! Guys? :("

Don't worry, I'm still here, even if everyone else is gone....Though I've always been, in these empty woods....

just so you know ...i dropped 2 alts because of the price increase awhile back..... and i just dropped my priest alt also recently....prices just add up to much ... so down to 1 character..   i still love wurm but ..............

• Like 3

...harvesting 1 apple max per apple tree.... really?   1 olive per olive tree.... 1 grape per grape bush...  Was Wurm too much fun?

Also,

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo

Aye always been for tying tree/bush harvest results to the related skill (usually forestry) and/or tool ql. Much akin to farming.

• Like 1

I want to know what % of people JOINED wurm for Xanadu and what % stayed.

All Xanadu did was spread out the freedom population, IT WAS A JOKE.

+1.

Seems most of the new players Xan attracted didn't stay. Think of all the money and time spent on Xan server setup, Xan development coding, and advertising.

Add Creepers to the game.

That would make more people have to play to protect their deeds on all servers.

Creeper.png

-Thats a very nice everything u got there!

Tsssssssssss. BOOM.

Now u have to flatten the ground and rebuild ur house wall and fence.

As others have stated, we have  more players than 1 year ago, and twice as many as in previous years. That is not a crisis, it is a succes. If you want crisis, look to WildStar.

Half of the people I know in Wurm are playing ArcheAge atm. I'd say with that kind of competition appearing, Wurm is doing fine to hold up so well.

Also, yesterday had 450 people online on Xanadu. Max on Inde before Xanadu opened was 200 people online. 

Edited by Cista

So much hot air we need to worry it will increase global-warming.

• Like 1

........ it will increase global-warming.

I'm unreliably informed that that is a myth.

• Like 1

I'm unreliably informed that that is a myth.

heard the same, but I can reliably tell you that this "exodus" happens every year, then a new server/big update comes and the player raise rises by a 1k again.

Now back to business:

And whenever I have to read a "Rolf read this, Rolf, explain this" headline I just assume the OP doesn't have a clue. Seriously do you really think he takes one of those serious? Why would he, there is like two every day. So instead of desperately seeking or attention, chose a proper name, maybe that represents facts instead of assumptions. Because that is a way to start a serious discussion. 

Wether or not the decline is a natural cycle or not its irrelevant for me, the company should be able to manage itself.

The OP raises excellent questions though, since Wurm is incredibly time consuming, it would be good to know what the direction will be, so people can make informed decisions.

I am surprised that we dont have a thread with this questions every day.

I am surprised that we dont have a thread with this questions every day.

because they never get answered.... :P

One of the biggest problems is the fact that he keeps adding servers, the population of the game is so spread out now that it makes traveling and economy hard.

I don't see a point to having less then 90 people on each old server, don't get me wrong I like the open space and less nOObs messing up my perimeters.

But the only thing new servers are to Rolf is cash grabs case in point Xanapoo, nice vacation he had after that one.

Glad I stayed on Indy all this time.

• Like 1

One of the biggest problems is the fact that he keeps adding servers, the population of the game is so spread out now that it makes traveling and economy hard.

I don't see a point to having less then 90 people on each old server, don't get me wrong I like the open space and less nOObs messing up my perimeters.

But the only thing new servers are to Rolf is cash grabs case in point Xanapoo, nice vacation he had after that one.

This, spreading the population so thin in a game which already has pretty badly accessible social features is a really bad idea (good luck creating a cross server chat channel if you don't have a clue how irc works, etc). Xanadu was probably the biggest mistake of them all. I feel that that server was added far before Wurm was really ready for it, as many features in game just don't scale well with server size (like the animal/creature simulation, (boring) boat travel, local chat range, etc). It makes the game feel empty, both player and environment wise, and that just isn't a good thing at all for an MMO. I wish the dev team would start paying some attention to stuff like that.

A very small amount of my money is on him opening a standalone server the size of indy in a year or so, with the statement it'll never be connected. Then 6 months after that, the smaller servers will start closing and people forced onto Xanadu/Indy/Chaos in order to cut down on costs and concentrate the community again rather than the thinly spread population we have at the moment. 

*shakes his stick* Mark my words, you wait and see!

On the other hand, I could be entirely wrong. We'll have to check back in a year, at which point I'll have forgotten all about my prediction I expect. =P

• Like 4

Xanadu failed in the same way epic did...

It is like 2011... same situation

While things look better now than in the past, stagnation isnt good. Right now biggest problem is thinly spread population over a lot of servers. If there were more people there wouldn't be problem.

But since people are so spread its harder for new player to find other players to interact with in many servers, pushing them to quit early on. Changes are needed to be made yes, but i am not one telling how. People already can come to their own conclusions how to resolve this.

Sometimes risks and sacrifices are to be made for progress, remember this. And remember we are tougher than normal casual gamers, we can handle strife and hardship in wurm. 

This is my opinion = Too many servers, but we must take in calculations that population swifts according to seasons and holidays.

A few people hit directly on the reasons that people leave. Who cares how many, They left!  And that should be an alarm for the devs to get organized.

Grindy, Boring, Overpriced. These are the words that keep popping up about wurm.  I can deal with grindy, And boring. As long as I can survive financially ingame.  But i've reached the point where I can't do that anymore. Unless I can manage to make rare items to sell.

Lack of content. Creatures. Broken promises.  These are the stressful things in wurm. No questing system, And I speak specifically about that joke of a missions tab.  Creatures are nonexistant or overpopulated depending where you live. We never get the things they promise us until months later, After everyone that cared about them has quit already.

Now i'm not saying that I don't like the things that we have, For the most part I do. What I don't like is the fact that i'm paying for and playing half of a game. 

Wurms entertainment value is so low that unless your the type of person that loves an endurance test, Your not going to play it.

Digging holes and chatting in 3d world is only amusing for a little while, Then your looking for other cool things, And there aren't any.

Wurm claims to be a mainstream game, But it is not. Not by far.  There is no pet system that is capable of being entertaining.

No quest/mission/objective system that is worth bothering with, And definitely is not fun.

No events scripted or organized by staff.

No tutorial, What the hell were you thinking?

Unique kills, Not fun, Not worth the bother.

Weapons and armors, Weak at best. Little variation. Very ugly if you use most chains.  Add things like cavebug armors for new players, So they have something cool.

Ships serve little purpose in entertaining players. Yes their working on collision which will be nice. But your glued to one spot, Can't move around. Can't jump to another ship, Or shoot a harpoon at a whale. It's just boring.

What I am saying is the number one reason we lost players is because Codeclub has no concept of what makes a game attractive.  And has absolutely nothing in it, To make players want to stay.  And until someone in that group learns the reality of the gaming industry, This half baked plan of an online game will continue to suffer.

It is not a niche game. It is half of a game.

• Like 1

There is also the fact that we have a bit of a population of people in school, which started back up recently :P

Some people do not have time for multiple accounts when having to go to school.

because they never get answered.... :P

I have to admit, this is so true!

While I don't think the sky is falling, these things ARE clear from the graph:

1. Premium population IS currently in decline
  2. Xanadu has spread the population out rather than added to it

And neither of those are great news. Are they bad enough that Rolf needs to sober up, get off the beach, fire some exotic dancers and get back to coding? Nope not yet. On the other hand, would a legit major new feature be a good thing about now? Yeah.