Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Rolf - Please Explain Your Plans and Stop the Exodus!

According to this graph, 1000 premium players have left since the first of July (~6200 down to ~5200 in ~90 days!).

While every longtime player will have a different opinion about the reason for this, I think this is at least partly due to the economy and cost of playing this game (I now average over $28 a month).

I have expressed my thoughts many times, so I will not go through it all again.  

Suffice to say, premium membership is down and I would like you to please explain your plans regarding:

1.  traders (what your plans are and when)

2.  premium costs (any plans to reduce it or provide multi-toon discounts)

3.  the economy in general (are you going to further fix mailboxes, gold distro, etc.)

Please open up to your player-base and tell us what we are headed for.

Regards,

Eyesgood

• Like 7

You could also chock the lost players up to the recent games being released, and Wurm becomes more outdated and stale every day.

edit: although, you could also count it towards the fact alot of people joined wurm because of xanadu, but didn't stay for long. I've got atleast a few new players that were my neighbors who quit, alot of which were premium.

Edited by williamwierd
  • Like 1

Broken domains, lag, travel times, ore distribution... I don't see why anyone would up and quit.

• Like 2

I don't see how you can blame Rolf for how much you pay to play Wurm.

Ordinary people shouldn't need a handful of deeds, between 2-10 premium alt accounts and "premium" armour like drake or scale.

The only reason why the player base is dwindling is the lack of communication, the endless release of new bugged content, and the bugs that are ignored for years until they become features.

I doubt the current decline will be fixed with yet another server release, especially considering the huge failure of Xanadu (lag, lag and bugs).

Made the game too easy. Allow mailing of everything, magic teleports everywhere, tons of free sleep powder, easy crafting window, focus on pointless things like decorations and useless animals.

• Like 3

those were also summer months, when many people stop playing online games as much.

Maybe we'll see an increase during the colder months, isn't that how it has been in previous years as well?

• Like 4

I dont think your top 3 concerns are the ones that makes players quit. But i will let u know what i think about your pointers:

1.  traders (what your plans are and when)

2.  premium costs (any plans to reduce it or provide multi-toon discounts)

3.  the economy in general (are you going to further fix mailboxes, gold distro, etc.)

• Like 3

According to the server graphs the majority of loss is from Xanadu. People dropped their old deeds moved over and found no mobs and no ore. Too much effort to move home again, they've quit until the situation improves.

There's no way you can blame the 'cost of playing' when none of the costs have changed for over a year.

• Like 1

or you could just care about yourself, stop being annoying, and stop caring about the ownership and statistics of stuff that doesn't affect you

just an alternate to this

• Like 9

or you could just care about yourself, stop being annoying, and stop caring about the ownership and statistics of stuff that doesn't affect you

Edited by Judicator
  • Like 13

Or people can keep their rose colored glasses on and be all happy and cheerful in ignorant bliss up to the point the plug is pulled because there's not enough paying players to pay the bills. That's an alternative also.

• Like 3

He obviously is. He's using the excuse of dropping player count trying to enforce changes that he wants. That's the real point of this topic. It's a manipulative passive-agressive suggestion topic.

Or people can keep their rose colored glasses on and be all happy and cheerful in ignorant bliss up to the point the plug is pulled because there's not enough paying players to pay the bills. That's an alternative also.

• Like 2

People laughed when I proposed the outcome of the Xanadu Migration.

People laughed when I explained the reasoning for Wurm's economic slowdown.

My reaction? I smiled. I love watching the world burn.

I'll be here to say I told you so on the first server closure too.

Edited by Dairuka

Im not sure im buying some arguments like school, and summer.

The avarage Nerd tends to play everyday regardless

And the world is a sphere, so it is not summer everywhere at same time, and wurm got players all around the world.

A true argument is that there has released alot of competition in the sandbox game genre, even thou i myself think most of them are not true sandbox.

Like Archeage i would not count as sandbox, it as much sandbox as World Of Warcraft is a sandbox game.

Hmm, 5200 x 8e per month. Not counting deeds. I think the company is just fine xD

You can pay with silvers, lot of people do that.

He obviously is. He's using the excuse of dropping player count trying to enforce changes that he wants. That's the real point of this topic. It's a manipulative passive-agressive suggestion topic.

Jud, you are over-analyzing my comments.  But you knew that, didn't you?

Hmm, 5200 x 8e per month. Not counting deeds. I think the company is just fine xD

arrow_down.jpg

Down is down. 1000 less is 16%. The Titanic was just fine until the water went over the bulkheads.

• Like 4

The cost of this game certainly does affect me.  And if caring about Rolf's intentions is annoying, well, I can't help you there mate...

If this game is to see more influx of new players, it needs to do large updates on a regular basis. As we have seen in the past, releases such as Wurm 1.0 with multistory and the Xanadu release, these large updates draw people to the game (or back into the game). The problem I see now is that the devs are trickling in new content (albeit on a regular basis). While each of the individual updates have some good stuff, some of it is just half baked, like all the new sea creatures with no new drops, sheep/wool with recipes coming later, new furniture that doesn't match or wood type makes no difference. I could go on and on.

The devs sould hold on to some of this content and spend time refining/completing it. Then, when the time is right, release a huge update with all the complete content together. Call it Wurm 2.0 or whatever, big marketing push etc. Do every 6 months and we would see Wurm grow.

The games population always grows around a large update/marketing campaign. By placing these events at strategic times during the year (for example right before summer or right around Christmas) you will maximize the exposure you get to new players looking for a new game to try.

While I like these almost weekly updates, I think they will hurt the games population in the long run. Imagine if all the updates that have gone in recently were refined and completed and held out of the game for now, and then all were released together along with bridges, trimless walls, increased mob population, wool recipes (capes anyone?), a new and well thought out money distribution system, the new LOD optimization etc etc. That would be one amazing update which would potentially draw lots of players back to check out the new stuff. Add a nice marketing campaign (mmorpg worked OK but I think there are better) and repeat the process every 6 months.

Regular weekly updates could be reserved only for bug fixes. Any and all new content is held onto until the next semi annual release.

Anyway... I could go on and on but I feel like I'm starting to repeat myself.

Griphyth

• Like 4

I said the same when I played Tabula Rasa...

And it didn't end well.

OK Tabula Rasa had one of the best ending for a MMO(they made events and stuff) that I ever saw, but what I mean is that the game was shut down.

• Like 1

Nail-in-the-head.

Kinda on-topic, since the only reply here should be from Rolf:

I've been saying the game needs to attract more players, and gimmicks like new servers don't work in the longterm. We need is Wurm to get up to date in terms of development and finantial philosophies. Btw, i don't think removing traders will help with player retention. Reducing the costs (like shared premium throughout accounts) could help. But the overall issue is that the game is unatractive. Its too grindy, boring and bugged for most people to care about it.

Well...

tumblr_lt6hiogx5J1r14o02o1_500.gif

Would be interesting if Rolf was to reply to this though.

Edited by KanePT
  • Like 2