Sign in to follow this  
monsterix

Hens dont lay eggs

Hi, i have 2 hens, they never given any eggs, first they was in my garden, then i tried in dirt and now they are on grass area. Those area what are reserved for hens all have pile of seeds, but no eggs. Is there some tricky part what i dont get? They are groomed daily.

Nope, they will lay without a rooster. Once the egg is laid drop it on a natural surface such as grass, crops, ect. I personally drop mine in crushed rock so that they are easy to see. The egg will decay and once it does there is a chance of a chicken hatching.

• Like 1

I normally drop a pile of grass and a pile of seeds near them and that seems to work fine.

Dropping mixed grass cuttings is normally good, just make sure you drop enough so the hens don't eat all of it in less than a day if you're feeding every day.

BTW, they'll get more food from higher QL mixed grass than lower QL, so dropping fifteen QL 40 mixed grass on a tile will feed 2 hens for a full day or two, but fifteen QL 1 mixed grass won't fill them up much at all.

They also eat grains (wheat, rye, oats, barley), corn and potatoes as well.  Basically any food crop that doesn't need converting to a seed to plant.  They won't eat berries, though, or food crops like pumpkins that do need to convert to seeds to plant.  They will eat the seeds of those plants (pumpkin seeds, strawberry seeds)..

And as stated, they don't need roosters at all to lay eggs.  Just make sure you give them lots of food regularly. (I have over 200+ eggs at my Pristine character's place now saved up, so have the experience with these cluckers to know.)

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 1

I had 3 hens at one point on lawn or gravel, i had dropped over 300 78ql rye grains in various piles in the small yard.  Never got one egg even though all three hens were extremely well nourished and would never acept hand feeding.  Either it's bugged or the tile they are on matters... which in and of itself is retarded.  Also, named chicks STILL after 5+ years lose their names after a server crash/reboot.

Can we please get these things fixed?

The tiles have to be natural. No paved tiles like gravel, cobblestone, marble, etc., or lawn or magic grass. They don't need to be fed by hand. I wish we could get confirmation about the "no roosters needed" thing. Maybe the folks who had luck with no roosters had wild roosters nearby enough to trigger the eggs.

They will eat: garlic, oat, mixed grass, pumpkin seed, wemp seed, corn, onion, barley, rice, cotton seed, potato, strawberry seeds, wheat, reed seed and rye. Maybe try mixing up the food you offer them? Are they fat? Maybe mix a seed food with a bulker food like the grass or potato.

I feed them with rice, in pile, but they dont lay any eggs, so my hens are broken. Fix them :)

We have rather a lot of hens, roosters and chicks and never have any problems with egg laying. They have their own coop and its all grass except for 2 tiles which are slabbed. On all tiles we make sure there's plenty of grains and never hand feed them. 

The roosters surely aren't needed, not at all. We purely keep those for eventual rooster missions. What does make a big difference in egg laying though, is whether the hen's are fat or not.

• Like 1

I feed them with rice, in pile, but they dont lay any eggs, so my hens are broken. Fix them :)

Don't do the rice. I usually give mine one of each thing, but when rice came out and I added rice to their daily feedings, suddenly they stopped laying. I didn't do a long experiment about it, but I really think they don't lay if they eat rice.

And to add, my hens are on packed dirt and farmed crop tiles, if that makes any difference.   Being inside a writ building that's with arches open to the outside that allows them to pass in and out doesn't stop them from laying eggs (in my case) though I'd expect paved tiles or constructed flooring tiles might.

Edited by Tristanc

The roosters surely aren't needed, not at all. We purely keep those for eventual rooster missions.

I wonder still about this. When I heard roosters weren't crucial, and the eating of seeds was, I thought to myself what if my roosters glom up the seeds, and that's what makes the difference day to day in how many eggs I get. So instead of mixing the sexes as I normally do, I put a fence down the middle of the pen and put roosters on one side, hens on the other. I stopped getting eggs. Mind you, I didn't do this as a long experiment, after a few days I relented and took the fence down. But the stop in egg laying did happen. It could have been a coincidence, but a weird coincidence.

I keep them on farm tiles. Farm the tiles and drop left overs on the ground for them. They lay eggs all over the place.

My Hens are on Corn farm tiles.  On Indy, they eat the corn i harvest. I have loads of hens and I get loads of eggs.   On Xanadu same thing corn farm tiles feed corn.  No eggs being laid. the ones i brought from Indy only one out of 25  hatched.  I am thinking there is a bug on Xanadu with them.  We had than on Indy for a long time.