Sign in to follow this  
Baloo

Sheep do not swim; Wool items

Sheep do not swim - for those who wish to know

They produce about 0.05kg wool when sheared with scissors of varying ql, depending on your AH skill.

We need: 

- pretty spinning wheels to spin the wool, 

- knitting needles to knit jumpers for winter

And huge quantities of spun wool could be used on looms to make blankets, maybe instead of furs ?

• Like 3

The amount of wool you get is based on the age of the sheep it seems.

0.20 for Adolescent

0.40 for Aged

0.50 for Old

0.60 for Venerable

Guessing 0.30 for Mature and 0.10 for young?

Edited by Lithien
  • Like 1

+1 to giving sheep a swim flag in the code and while you are at it add cattle and bison in there too. 

• Like 3

I second that +1 to swimming code for bovine, sheep and bison. There are too many inconsistencies regarding wurm wildlife. Cows and bulls do swim I see mine cross the pond here quite often as well as do sheep and bison. And just for the record turtles swim not tortoise, they're a land animal.

• Like 7

<therapy>

Ok, folks.... repeat after me:   Wurm Is Not A Real Place.     In spite of what you have been told and in spite of what you feel or believe is true, Say that again....  Wurm Is Not A Real Place.

</therapy>

meanwhile..  somewhere in the American southeast...

<newsreport>

Tell us what happened to you.

I tell ya, it's true!  Won of dem dare Wormian people done come clean out of my pc and snatched me up and carried me into some palace called zaan-da-hoo!  I was gone three days and nobody fed my hounds.

Well folks, there you have it, live from the living room of Mr. Gotta Lovewurm.  Rolf, back to you in the studio.

</newsreport>

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 2

Valid reason could be, that the code is 'all or nothing'. Like with horses. Horses on leash should follow a boat - horses by themselves should prefer to stay on land - however, Im always picking up a bunch of sea-horses I find, taking them back to the nearest land...

And exactly that would happen with *any* animal you put a 'swimming-flag' on - they would for a large part all end up in sea. As if we dont have enough sharks, bears, sea-horses and what-nots swimming around allready.

As long as the code isn't made to look at the situation and then decide 'animal can go swimming' - 'animal on leash, animal MUST go swimming' or 'animal is a land-animal, so animal must NOT go swimming by itself' - as long as that isn't in then please not more swimming animals. Because whenever we don't want them to swim... they will swim.

• Like 2

+1 If not letting these animals swim...then give us a way to transport them over water.

A new ship type or some sort of animal crate.

I live on an island and it's a right pain in the ass when they add new none swimming animals.....i had to wait over 2 years IRL to get my hands on 1 Hen and about the same for Unicorns.

And b4 anyone starts saying "Oh just move...or...build a land bridge" i like living where i am and i think adding in a new ship would be better for eveyone, not just me.

Also seeing a ship pass by loaded with crates with animal heads sticking out would look realy cool. ;)

• Like 4

Kianga has a very valid point there - would be good if her suggestions could be implemented!  Devs !???!

Animal Relocation Kontainership - 

one captain,  one passenger, 6 built-on cargo holds. Can also LOADCARGO any vehicle that can be pulled by an animal (large cart, wagon, future stuff) but otherwise has no storage for inanimate items.

Leading rope is used to "hitch" them to the hoisting crane.  

b8.jpg

and awaaaaay we go, yo ho ho!

1379580909_f07881aaf1_z.jpg

• Like 2

I know a few breeders on the old servers who would love to open up their sales to that fresh chunk of land.

• Like 1

Flood the market with cheap imports!! 

Er I mean -- come to the rescue of our Xanadu brethren who are languishing without access to massproduced animal labor.

I hear they are travelling cross country on three speed horses, and in some extreme cases are even pulling their own Large Carts. 

07load14.jpg

*** kidding, I think new servers should be left alone to develop their own independent economic systems, and personally hope the next new server added is a small one of the "quarantined fresh start" Exodus/Celeb variety. Maybe alternate between "big = open" and "small = closed" launches, every other new server. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

My neighbor has sheep's, lets see if they really swim, brb......

The amount of wool you get is based on the age of the sheep it seems.

0.20 for Adolescent

0.40 for Aged

0.50 for Old

0.60 for Venerable

Guessing 0.30 for Mature and 0.10 for young?

Any one know how often they can be sheared???

Any one know how often they can be sheared???

I think it must have a somewhat random element. I have 5 sheep that I sheared for the first time earlier today. I went back 8 hours later and one of them I could shear again, but the other four not. I suspect once a day will turn out to be average.

(It has been a while since my big cheesemaking days, but milking cows works kind of random too, I think it was generally 3-4 hours between milkings but it could be much faster or much slower -- there was no reliable timer. It is POSSIBLE that some cows reliably gave milk more often than others, as I had some I suspected of being "better milkers", and if this was not oberver error, it might mean that some sheep have a tendency to grow wool fast. Or not. But I will keep an eye on my Old SHeep:

[10:51:08] You start shearing the Old sheep.

[18:29:10] You start shearing the Old sheep.

I have five of different ages so should be easy to track her.  In any case you can check again after 8 hours but only 20% of my tiny flock  ould be resheared in that time frame, and that is too small a sample to make reliable theories. Other than 8 hours IS possible. 

All oif my sheep, btw, gave EITHER a 1Q wool clump or a 45ish Q clump. Weight was based on sheep age as already noted by others. I had a low quality scissors so I will try imping that up to see if it helps quality. I gained an Animal Husbandry tick so it apparently uses that skill, mine was 57 on the shearer character so I suspect the lowQ scissors hurt me. But I was not getting a range, just either 1Q or 45Q. 

I got a range from 30 ql to 89 ql wool using 70 ql rare scissors on a character with 86 AH. Using the same scissors with a character that has 30something AH gave me 11 ql to 40s ql wool. I swapped characters after I noticed the AH gains.

People complained that there was no or little need to get AH higher than 50 .If this was their intentional response to that, then hats off for making it valuable for other things than horse breeding :)

• Like 1

Yes I think they are trying to make AH more valued. I used better scissors today and got a much better range and higher average of wool, also no more "ones", so both tools and skill together seem to affect quality. Probably similar to woodcutting or mining where skill gives higher potential maximum while a better tool is more predictable result, and lower tool gives more chance of 1.00Q.

Seems to be roughly a day on reshearing, with some variance. I went back today and all the sheep except one, had fresh wool.

Interesting the role of age as a smaller herd of older sheep will be much more useful than breeding larger flocks of younger sheep. This reenforces "higher AH is better" because you can Care for a half dozen venerables and have a better result then letting old ones die off and just churning out replacement young ones (especially with ratios being a limitation for adding giant herds) . 

• Like 2

I bet them sheeps could spin a yarn too, if they were allowed. Followed by their tail, of course.

=Ayes=

• Like 1