Sign in to follow this  
Milosanx

Wurm Online | De Lonely West Way | k8-Linton Xanadu

Today we ride!

We take a trip from Linton spawn point to our home area of K8, Xanadu.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cs6Frc4c4U&list=UUpQdEmLtFD8TdfAqIkF4jjA

Wurm Online Playlist

• Like 6

Riding through vast open grasslands, steppes and deserts... ..no mobs...

• Like 1

Wowzers. Xanadu is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

Heh, you can see my still completely untouched deed near the end there, at the entrance to Moonshine Valley :) I know, I know... I should work on it.

But congrats to Delone on a monumental engineering project. The road looks great!

Thanks for showcasing it, Milo. I know Delone worked hard on it.

Distance on Xanadu doesn't bother me, but the 2 things that do are -- mob numbers and domains dropping.

• Like 1

Crazy how fast everyone built roads everywhere.

I find it fascinating myself. To me, Xanadu is like a little social experiment set up to test our behavioral patterns. It was a large, pristine land and all of the sudden, humans were released upon it. The first instincts of the settlers was to find a coastal area to settle. That is not true of everyone, of course, but a prevailing number of deeds are on or near the coast. I often wondered what the draw of the coast was, but I think the reason for coastal preference is that it gives you more options, more freedom and connects you to others. Water (especially seas) is just a path of highways that allows for direct, albeit lenghty travel to other people's deeds.

As soon as the deeds were set, our instinct was to build roads. I didn't seem to matter if there was anything along those roads just yet. The point is that they connect to each other and form a travel network. Again, the reason must be that they make us feel less isolated. It doesn't matter if we use those roads just yet... the mere freedom of having one gives you that option in the future and makes you feel connected to the community. It allows fast travel, a possible access to hunting grounds and adventure and it makes you feel less alone. It also facilitates trade, which allows you to barter what you have for what you need.

I have been watching the settlement of Xanadu with fascination. I draw some parallels between this and the dawn of mankind, or settlement of North America or Australia. Of course, this is only a game, but our instincts seem the same. Roads - indeed - are one of our primary concerns, in life and in Wurm.

I guess Vynora has been right after all.

For us it was, where is the closest to inde and the deed that are there and finding a crossing point fair for us all that started our project. Also, a centre I position on the map N/S. So this is where we settled. The valley there was the easiest way to the coast and finding a semi flat coast spot was not easy on the west coast. Withe the right wind I can be on my mountain deed in 1 hour can to inde, obviously coming from inde can be less than 30min. Not bad considering my deed on inde is the furthest from water than just about any deed in all directions with unfavourable terrain.

Thanks for not making fun of my roofless kitchen ;)

Amazing amount of road over some really tough terrain. And I love the little touches like the scenic overlook, and all of the fountains.

Also woo-hoo K8! I've made it there from Delone's Cele deed in 20 minutes. And recently scorpions have started to spawn in the desert outside the valley - at least 4! FOUR! Though I think now we have eaten them all. 

Great video Milo! And featuring, if I may say so, the soon-to-be singular major grassland expanse in Wurm. 

Edited by Cista