Sign in to follow this  
Lovefall

New option to show staff tags in chat

Please note that this is a suggestion for client side implementation only.

Please note that this is a suggestion for an option, not a change, which can be turned on and off by anyone.

So this is something that will NOT affect you in any way, unless you do want to turn it on.

I don't know about you, but personally I would love to know when encountering a staff member or just when someone tries to moderate the global chats to know if it's actually a staff member or a back seat moderator, even when not using colored text.

So, my suggestion would be to have an option in client side, that when turned on would append the staff position to the name, so it is easily visible - something like <GM-Enki> Please stop this discussion.

Later edit: As per others observations, it may not be best to have the exact title, but maybe better to just have a marker for CM or higher, something like <Enki *> Please stop this discussion.

The staff list is public, so this will not like breaking any kind of privacy or something, just a convenience option to clearly see if people we encounter or talk with on chats are players like us or staff members. So if someone is to treat an official different, they would do it with or without the mark, since if they want to know who's or who's not an official, they can find it from the list.

Edited by Lovefall

Would make the chat inconsistent in style in my opinion.

Lot of staff members just talk on chats, like any other players. No need to differentiate them from others when there's no need to do so.

• Like 3

The difficulty there is not all staff are always using accounts with staff powers. When I'm using such an account, I still try and help steer chat's away from what's not allowed knowing that I may have to log in an appropriate account to take action down the line.

Also, we (at least I and I know some others :P ) don't want to be treated differently just because we're staff.

• Like 6

I think people can get used to it.

It was no harm in runescape - except staff could override the Hide option, which I do not want for Wurm Online

A tiny crown in front of name, or some tiny tag [Runescape Player Moderator in picture]

3A6LkDU.jpg

They did also chat for fun and it was no harm.

Sometimes chats go little crazy and it's not good to use colored text straight away.

Soft warning is good and I'd also prefer that they dont need to guess whether it's a staff or not.

1+

Edited by silakka

-1. There's no reason our poor staff members should have to be visible whenever they chat.

<GM-Enki> Please stop this discussion.

HGM Enki

There's got to be time for that. 

But anyways, sounds good but it is not client only. The list needs to be fecthed from somewhere, even though the easiest way of coding would be server side only I guess. I think there is no client optimisation needed.

If this were implemented it may not even be to the degree you want, as Hord pointed out many staff have alts and even when using a non staff toon it is second nature to soft moderate until a staff toon is required to log in, the other side also would be that GMs don't play on their GM accounts at all and are strictly for business purpose so their main staff account would still only show as CM as the account only has CM level powers so if its GMs you are trying to recognise you may still not even visually recognise.

As per others observations, it may not be best to have the exact title, but maybe just a marker for CM or higher, something like <Enki *> Please stop this discussion.

(also added that to original suggestion)

okay nevermind

Edited by Capi

@OP..  Well are you pushing the boundaries of the chat rules so much that you have to know when a person that is asking to change the subject and or move on is a staff member? I admit i do not ever watch any global chats i keep even server chat off but seems like you are the one always here having trouble with the way chat is run so leads me to believe there must be some underlying trouble with you yourself and not with the way the channel is moderated.

TLDR:  If you are getting request from players that are not staff everyday to change the subject or whatever then the problem might just be yourself and not the way the channel is run. 

Edited by Kegan

@OP..  Well are you pushing the boundaries of the chat rules so much that you have to know when a person that is asking to change the subject and or move on is a staff member? I admit i do not ever watch any global chats i keep even server chat off but seems like you are the one always here having trouble with the way chat is run so leads me to believe there must be some underlying trouble with you yourself and not with the way the channel is moderated.

TLDR:  If you are getting request from players that are not staff everyday to change the subject or whatever then the problem might just be yourself and not the way the channel is run. 

Actually I was never warned (neither by official or players) that I do. :P

The reason is that I use to make a lot of tickets about people that don't respect the rules and was told that the infraction was too small to deserve any action, and would just love to know when an official is already on the case, so I don't have to make the report any more, since I know someone is already seeing the chat. ;)

Edited by Lovefall

The reason is that I use to make a lot of tickets about others that do and was told that the infraction was too small to deserve any action, and would just love to know when an official is already on the case, so I don't have to make useless reports. ;)

Well if these cases you are reporting are not directly involved with you then why do you care and why take the time to report them?

I know when i report something on the forums it directly affects me or is some spam link post and not some random.. Hey this guy is breaking the rules did you see that.. 

• Like 4

The reason is that I use to make a lot of tickets about others that do and was told that the infraction was too small to deserve any action, and would just love to know when an official is already on the case, so I don't have to make useless reports. ;)

Wow .... just ... wow  :huh:  :o  I wonder if there is still ppl out there talking to you knowing your "reporting" tendencies?

As for the suggestion -1, there is no need to alienate the staff imo. 

I don't really see any issues adding it, but I also don't see that much of a point, from a player and staff perspective.

On another game, everyone knew my rank, and would PM me questions because of it, however, here we have the CA channel, so that point isn't really needed.

And other then that, I can only think of people watching a staff member in chat for either trying to catch them up in there words / to try and "may friends" with them for advantages.

So there's really only minor good/bad that could come from it, and a little common sense the bads thrown out. So +/-0 overall it may help, but I don't see it as extremely helpful or needed personally.

Well if these cases you are reporting are not directly involved with you then why do you care and why take the time to report them?

I know when i report something on the forums it directly affects me or is some spam link post and not some random.. Hey this guy is breaking the rules did you see that.. 

Just because I want the rules to be respected... you know... being a "good citizen" and doing my civil duties...

Is the same reason why I announce the police when I see an infraction being committed IRL... like if I see a car stopped outside a parking spot, I do take a picture, note down the number and report it, although it doesn't affect me personally, but is just a rule violation... it may affect someone... and someday it may affect me too...

Anyway... is not about me or you... is just a suggestion about the game, so let's please stop with the off-topic :) Please :)

Edited by Lovefall

I don't ever have global chats on but...

-1 Only for the reason of using the tags as a tool to leverage reports against staff and that seems to be the reason behind the suggestion. 

Edited by Kegan

There's nothing wrong with players policing chats and it's likely someone overstepping the mark will be shot down by a real moderator anyway.  If a moderator or GM is on their alt account then they should be welcome to join in with the 'back seat' moderation and if things get out of hand there is nothing stopping them swapping accounts to fix whatever is causing issues.

Talking about police - i think this could work just as police presence in public places. You may see a police car drive past, and then you for example make sure seatbelt is set correct.

Even when chatting for fun, people would know that yeah there are some staff around.

So they'll keep seatbelts checked and are more aware when the seatbelt comes off that some are watching.

• Like 1

Talking about police - i think this could work just as police presence in public places. You may see a police car drive past, and then you for example make sure seatbelt is set correct.

Even when chatting for fun, people would know that yeah there are some staff around.

So they'll keep seatbelts checked and are more aware when the seatbelt comes off that some are watching.

Until you have a person watching the police and reporting you to the chief for not passing out tickets when you should have been, lol

Anyway i am out have fun with it...  

I'd +1 their names in chat being like they are in local, why not :P

Sometimes it's equally effective having people think the police might be there when they're not... Would having markers on names mean people are more sure a moderator isn't present and thus MORE likely to stir up trouble when one isn't visible?

• Like 1

Sometimes it's equally effective having people think the police might be there when they're not... Would having markers on names mean people are more sure a moderator isn't present and thus MORE likely to stir up trouble when one isn't visible?

Not every staff chats actively though :P so this would still always apply