Sign in to follow this  
Lovefall

Add "bound" as possible characteristic for items

There were a few cases where I thought that having a bound item would make a lot a sense, and here are a few examples:

- untradeable sleep powders given on server crashes, so we don't have all those complain threads that "I already had five hours of SB"

- possible cosmetic items available only in a cash shop

- possible items that would make a newbie life easier, but which shouldn't be abusable as in trade to a main 

- possible reward items that could mark certain achievements and not just be another trade item (like maybe the medallions from HotA, or a cosmetic reward for staying online a certain amount of time, or a reward for helping the game as there were the summer hats, etc)

However, at this stage, that is impossible, since we don't have bound items.

If implemented, that could eventually be brought one step further - as the creator of an item being able to make it bound for a certain person. As in, for example, I made a fantastic sword and I want to gift it to my best friend when I quit the game, I bound it to him - so it will be a gift only he could use, to remember me, not something he could sell for cold money. Or the guarantee that free alts will not abuse the impalongs, since they could not trade their improved and enchanted items to their mains, if they are made bound first.

But my suggestion is not referring to any specific items or anything, is just an infrastructure suggestion - to add a new field in items database for "bound" items (just as there are "no drop" items). Then, when there will be a need for a bound item, adding it would be much simpler and suggestions wouldn't be dismissed, just because there is not the infrastructure to make them possible.

Edited by Lovefall

"Possible for items"?

Why would you suggest something that you have no way of taking practical use of?

I believe that devs can sort things out themselves in case of being needed.

Btw, hand mirror is untradeable (yeah, you can bypass it, but that's probably not intended), so mechanic like that exists.

Btw, hand mirror is untradeable (yeah, you can bypass it, but that's probably not intended), so mechanic like that exists.

Yeah, pretty much what I suggest is the implementing of such a mechanic, but which can't actually be bypassed.

So instead a "no trade", a "bound to user" - which, in the case when someone finds a way to bypass the no trade part, at least they can't use it.

Actually the closest thing we had of this were the old wrapped items.

And reason... well... I heard quite a few times suggestions being dismissed because we have no such thing as bound items, and things could get abused - as the idea to get bound sleep powders instead of refill on a server crash was dismissed many, many times for the reason that "people will just sell sleep powders, ruining the market and making the system abuseable"

And, as I said, I don't refer to any specific items with my thread - just create the tehnical infrastructure which would make possible for devs to make any item they seem fit bound to character.

Making item bound to player instead of simply non tradeable is a workaround, not solution.

In my opinion suggesting how the game should work technically, in the deep, is at least odd.

We are getting a spyglass for 11 months of premium, holy cow!!!!!

I wonder what 1 year would get us...

that could eventually be brought one step further

I know many who would like to brag with a personalized item like this :) maybe add to them even tiny something on top - less decay perhaps, to motivate bounding it.

I'd do it to my shovels and weapons straight away, would know that one day i might wanna sell them, but it's not always about the moneys.

Edited by silakka

There were a few cases where I thought that having a bound item would make a lot a sense, and here are a few examples:

- the spyglasses that we (well you, the guys that were premium last 11 months) will get next month and which influx will totally ruin the market

While you are at this, I want from now on a 50 skill cap on Blacksmithing and Weaponsmithing skills for new accounts, so they don´t totally ruin the market.

+1 for the item part, at least, were we can make a item, and specificly get it to a person (like the wrapping system.....)

I like the idea of being able to somehow give a person a item, without worrying about someone else getting it.

I also like this idea for SP's, but that's just me.

Spyglasses......I don't really care which way that goes.

One thing I like about Wurm that is hard, if not impossible, to find in other games is that I can share gear. I don't need 3 sets of insanely high gear to pass group requirements here on whichever one I decide to take as one set fits all. Fortunately our gear here can grow with us through improvement but nothing stinks worse to me than working hard for a special item that is later no longer special for that particular character but would be for the next alt in line and it going to a vendor for change because it is bound and requiring me to do all that work again for another soon-to-be-no-longer-special piece of vendor trash.

I say -1 because I feel that giving it away or even selling it is better than donating it to the Vynora hoardpile in heaven.

"Bob, welcome to wurm! I'm here greeting all new players and giving you a special gift. Here is a partially completed guard tower (that weighs only 300kg wink wink) - oh, I bound it to you, so you can never drop it, even on death".

-1 why add features that aren't needed. Spyglass price decreasing only sucks for you if you bought one to sell when price increased, you invested assuming the price would go up and your investment didn't pay off, this is how a market works. 5 hours sb on server crashes are for people who were active up to the crash as compensation for not being able to play, I would have thought most active players would keep at least 30 mins of sb free incase missions come up and any compensation is good enough.

-1. One of the things I love about the game is that it's all an open market.

-1. non tradeable would probably mean non-droppable too.   So the item/s would have to be weightless for it to work properly. I can see this implemented with things like keys, coins (in freedom), certain purely cosmethic items and such, but overall I see it as a no no.

Bound (in the concept I saw it in other games) doesn't mean no drop or no destroy, just that it can't be used/equipped by someone else.

And I don't ask for the vast majority of items to have this tag, but just for an infrastructure option to allow devs to make certain limited items bound.

Bound (in the concept I saw it in other games) doesn't mean no drop or no destroy, just that it can't be used/equipped by someone else.

And I don't ask for the vast majority of items to have this tag, but just for an infrastructure option to allow devs to make certain limited items bound.

In most games, WoW for example, bound items could have been destroyed, sold to vendors, just not tradeable/usable to other players.

The main reason, as I said, is that they (devs) could give certain reward items without the fear that it could be exploited with alts / traded.

In most games, WoW for example, bound items could have been destroyed, sold to vendors, just not tradeable/usable to other players.

The main reason, as I said, is that they (devs) could give certain reward items without the fear that it could be exploited with alts / traded.

The item is a reward, how can it be exploited? paying prem for more alts? was not that the prime objective in the first place?

I am sure the PvP crowd would love this. All that loot that they could never use....

• Like 1

I am sure the PvP crowd would love this. All that loot that they could never use....

One Major selling point of this game is its meant to be full loot

Guys i just killed someone in scale!.....oh wait its bound nvm i quit life bye bye now guys