Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Clay tile - partial paving with a plank trail

Ok, I know a thousand post have come up on clay issues in Xanadu, but not sure if anyone has mentioned doing a partial paving of clay (or other types like Peat, Moss and Marsh), using planks, to make a narrow walking path. Horses and carts are fine, but would be nice if foot traffic wasn't slowed down, having to travel over 50 continuous tiles of clay.  The graphic could be just a couple rickety parallel planks, through the center of the tile. Could be rotated for appearance.  At least 70% of the tile would still be visible and the planks would not impact the ability to dig.

This would allow us to clearly define a trail, provide speedy foot travel and not impact anyone's ability to access the resources underneath.

Activate plank - create trail.

http://s926.photobucket.com/user/sirvink/media/suggestions/planktrail_zpsab83dc0a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

• Like 1

I think this one would be awesome with all kinds of special tiles - especially marsh!

Often, I see marsh, and really truely enjoy it for its natural beauty in the Wurm landscape, but hate it because of its negative effects (slow, sloshing sound, cant build on it, etc)

With this implementation, you could make a cool little path through the marsh, for aesthetic looks(personally I play Wurm to make nice, cozy deeds), and also for functionality!

One drawback I can see with this implementation though, is how would the devs code it so that the path would go in the direction you want it to go. Anytime you change the whole tile, it has to be omni-directional. This trail would not be so. Implementation could prove tricky because the devs would have to implement a system to check what tiles around a given tile are, and then decide the trails direction given that information. For example, a trail is placed by a pre-existing trail, then those two trails would link up.(Similar, say, to how minecraft's fences work).

Another option to potentially fix the above problem with implementation would make it a tile decoration - IE: an object such as a stone bench. This item would be placed on a marsh tile, but when the marsh tile detects that a "trail" is placed upon it, it changes the marsh properties to have increased movement speed and no sloshing sound.

Doubt this will ever be implemented, but those are my thoughts on the matter! Good suggestion, Wurmhole!

Yep, make it decorative and give it a speed bonus. I would definitely like the ability to turn the planks, or simply choose from E/W, N/S, NE/SW or NW/SE for how the planks lay.

Bridges? They are in your imagination. This is easyier coding. No 3d involved. Just some textures and movement code and presto! (one could hope)

Honestly, the thing I wanted bridges most for was simply to cross my darn clay on one of my Pristine deeds.