Sign in to follow this  
Alec

How Do You Devs Expect...

How do you Devs expect that threads like this one will work, if you never give the actual numbers, percentages and functionalities of the game?

Asking for feed back about balance to a player base that has absolutely no real knowledge of the details of the game, is one of the most irrational things I saw in my life as gamer.

Now a question to all the people the people, do you guys think this will actually work? and maybe with the help of the player committee?

Discuss.

Edit:

Please stop with the PvP vs PvE poo fight, we all know that Rolf don't think very well when he configures the settings for each server/cluster, and that would be a issue to be treated on another thread, but not on this one.

This is one is more about how the frigging heck they expect feedback to balance things on which everyone is totally biased and no one has numbers or knowledge about it.

Edited by Alec
  • Like 5

How do you Devs expect that threads like this one will work, if you never give the actual numbers, percentages and functionalities of the game?

Asking for feed back about balance to a player base that has absolutely no real knowledge of the details of the game, is one of the most irrational things I saw in my life as gamer.

Now a question to all the people that plays on PvP servers, do you guys think this will actually work? and maybe with the help of the player committee?

Discuss.

If you havent noticed its for PvP Targetting the PVP people and notnoobs.

Edited by Exara

It won't work, there's posts full of bias in there and people who say things without knowing anything.

• Like 3

There was a PvP committee set up of a few members from each Kingdom that was supposed to decide on things like this..

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut.. the first thing we said no on was put into the game because it outweighed us.. or some dumb stuff.

And it pretty much died there.

Even had a Dev monitoring it and feeding us what to discuss.

• Like 1

While there is some things there that are outright lies, there is also suggestions that are helpfull.

Hopefully the devs take the input with a heavy doze of salt.

Or simply consider it a little brainstorm of ideas to improve the game.

It won't work, there's posts full of bias in there and people who say things without knowing anything.

There needs to be a thread in epic and chaos respectively for pvp changes. No offense but bias from both servers hurts the other. Each server has different issues, make their code seperate.

My issue with that thread (and the requirements for posting in it), is that I worry that someone will make some suggestion that totally changes everything for PvE people, and no one is allowed to point that out. (If the suggestion is bad for PvP you can at least make a better suggestion, not perfect, but better than nothing)

The last time they asked for suggestions (not this current round, but the time Rolf asked for suggestions on things that would be easy to implement to increase PvP activity) there was a 27-page thread with suggestions, and of all those suggestions (sorry, I don't remember the numbers or who the poster was who actually went through the trouble and counted all the suggestions) 2 people suggested that they reduced tower guards speed, and that is what they decided to implement....

• Like 4

My issue with that thread (and the requirements for posting in it), is that I worry that someone will make some suggestion that totally changes everything for PvE people, and no one is allowed to point that out. (If the suggestion is bad for PvP you can at least make a better suggestion, not perfect, but better than nothing)

The last time they asked for suggestions (not this current round, but the time Rolf asked for suggestions on things that would be easy to implement to increase PvP activity) there was a 27-page thread with suggestions, and of all those suggestions (sorry, I don't remember the numbers or who the poster was who actually went through the trouble and counted all the suggestions) 2 people suggested that they reduced tower guards speed, and that is what they decided to implement....

I think we all are well aware of how the devs difference PvP servers and PvE servers, that is why I assume that everyone knows about it and that is why I was asking only to the players of PvP servers.

I think we all are well aware of how the devs difference PvP servers and PvE servers, that is why I assume that everyone knows about it and that is why I was asking only to the players of PvP servers.

Tiny % of players, get their exclusive forums where PvE can't post, but they can post on PvE threads, bad for business overall but Rolf loves them?

I don't have to play on PvP servers to see, that it is unrealistic to expect balancing suggestions from a player base that (generally) only has experience playing on one side, and no numbers to even attempt to understand the other side. You can ask each side for suggestions on how to improve their play, but balance? And with no discussion? I wouldn't expect any side to start volunteering to give up their advantages, or volunteering to make good balancing suggestion that require them to give up the numbers that they have gotten from their own extensive testing.

Tiny % of players, get their exclusive forums where PvE can't post, but they can post on PvE threads, bad for business overall but Rolf loves them?

That has nothing to do with the threads intent, please stop further derailing.

• Like 1

My bad, fixed now.

What?

When there was a PvP committee?

Before your time young one.

• Like 1

No It won't work, for all the reasons given. 

You don't treat symptoms, you treat root cause. We have never, EVER been allowed to go near the root causes of the PvP issues.

Far too many people offering balance from the perspective and benefit of a single kingdom. Its human nature and very hard to deal with.

The PvP committee was called the Chaos Council and it was charged with "revitalising" Chaos/Wild. I know because I was on it. I also know why it failed which were not for the reasons you might envisage. A new player committee will fail again, for the same reasons if it doesn't manage to find worse ones, count on it.

@OP, even back in 2005 and earlier people complained about how can they beta test when they don't have the numbers to know what they are beta testing. The lack of official documentation which persists to this day means we never know what is meant, what is an exploit or when something falls into the grey area between the two,

We were expected to "find out for ourselves" because it was part of Wurm's "charm" and "mystique". In a gold edition game yes, for beta testers?  hell no, stupid as anything, but then we were not really beta testers, just the fledgling player base.

• Like 2

So, when do we get a topic for a round of PvE feedback? It's not like only 70-80% of the player base is on the PvE servers :rolleyes:

If you think PVE combat needs a revamp, then make a suggestion about it.

So far very little comments have been made about it and thus there hasnt been much need of a thread about it.

PVP on the other hand has had tons of things people have desired to change.

and as a side note, a lot of attention is spent for the non-pvp side of the game. hence all the new animals, objects, larger mailboxes, fence/wall types, etc

I don't have to play on PvP servers to see, that it is unrealistic to expect balancing suggestions from a player base that (generally) only has experience playing on one side, and no numbers to even attempt to understand the other side. You can ask each side for suggestions on how to improve their play, but balance? And with no discussion? I wouldn't expect any side to start volunteering to give up their advantages, or volunteering to make good balancing suggestion that require them to give up the numbers that they have gotten from their own extensive testing.

At this point nearly everyone has played on every side... It makes sense that freedom players would question the PvP since the vast majority wont go near it, but guess what, its what wurm pvpers have been doing for years and years, pvping, we know what sucks.

Edited by Youngsoldier

If you think PVE combat needs a revamp, then make a suggestion about it.

So far very little comments have been made about it and thus there hasnt been much need of a thread about it.

PVP on the other hand has had tons of things people have desired to change.

and as a side note, a lot of attention is spent for the non-pvp side of the game. hence all the new animals, objects, larger mailboxes, fence/wall types, etc

There are topics about it every now and then, with mostly recurring ideas. Many come down to AI improvements, which is logical as PvE is really lacking in challenge, and the environment is really lacking in dynamics/life (the low density of creatures doesn't help. that part of the system alone could probably use a big revamp). And yes, I know good AI is very very hard to code, so I'm not keeping my hopes up. This stuff is probably as hard as full pvp revamp with twitch gameplay..

One example, which I've seen every now and then during the last 7 years, and is probably even older than that: Goblin/Troll villages

That doesn't make any sense. Freedomers don't know jack about PvP and need to stay out of the threads regarding PvP tweaks. Bottom line.

Goblin and troll villages are overglorified birchwood goblin/troll mounds.

Grab mound coding for spawn purpuses.

Slap on uniques "location coding" to each spawned entity.

Add a custom model that is a bit more creative than the current mounds.

troll_quarry.gifheadquarter_small.gifwoodcutterhut.gifmine.gifcroptent.gifhuntinglodge.giffisherhut.gifboarbreeding.gifclubmaker.gif

Do that and let the "village" decay like a normal mound and ur pretty much done.

zomg that sounded so freekin hard didnt it? (well except artwork. that requires some effort as always)

dev bonus points:

If you wanna be fancy then add increased spawnspeed than regular mounds but a max creature count of that spawn type.

If you wanna be super fancy then add "villager" as a title to the troll/goblin (iow: "Aged troll villager" or "Adolescent goblin villager").

Make the goblin/troll king spawn at such locations with some additional regular goblins/trolls and let it move to a random location on the map.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 1

That doesn't make any sense. Freedomers don't know jack about PvP and need to stay out of the threads regarding PvP tweaks. Bottom line.

I would in no way think that I am qualified to make even the tiniest suggestion on how to tweak anything PvP-related. But I resent being told that I am not qualified to voice my concern when PvP-suggestions severely impact PvE. That is all.

I would in no way think that I am qualified to make even the tiniest suggestion on how to tweak anything PvP-related. But I resent being told that I am not qualified to voice my concern when PvP-suggestions severely impact PvE. That is all.

I don't see how it impacts sitting on deed and imping needles and mallets all day at all. None of the PvP changes "severely" impact PvE in any remote may unless you actually enjoy shooting arrows at animals that don't even move when you're far enough away. Sorry, but if you're not qualified to suggest something you don't know anything about then that's just how it is. Don't get offended by me because of a solid fact that's out of my control. Freedom suggestions to PvP are what made mauls useless and got us in the mess it's in now anyway.