Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Skilling difficulty indicator

skilling difficulty indicator

**tool quality plus skill versus target difficulty**

This is the relationship that governs how often a skill gain occurs. I'd like it if the game immediately after a single action gave hints as to how close one is to optional skill gain. You usually find a more difficult target or change your tool quality.

How accurate are these hints and how are they displayed?

An event message is one possibility. I don't think the hints should be highly precises, for example telling you specific tool ql or target items would be bad. A rough estimate that is divided up in 5 categories would be good. These categories might be: easy, simple, challenging, difficult, and misunderstood.

- The task is easy.

- The task is simple.

- the task is challenging.

- The task is difficult.

- the task is misunderstood.

There could also be a UI to graphically show difficulty changes. I'm not going to bother drawing pictures because I'm a awful artist.

If this ability is accessed with either magic or a new skill having more precision does benefit these two in being able to communicate results at varying accuracy. The above 5 categories could be sub divided in halves(ie. partly easy or moderately easy) or in thirds (ie. less easy, precisely easy, and more easy). Low precision would be 5ths, then middle at 10ths, and best is 15ths.

What do we need to do to see this information?

- This benefit could be added as a default to the game. Maybe add a toggle in options.

- We could add a magical enchant you put on say a ring. Wearing the ring shows the information. 

This ability is about the pursuit of knowledge and improvement of things which facilitate society. It should be obvious with God gets the spell. Please don't make bad choices just because people thing one priest is OP. 

Enchant power could related to the frequency of failures, "Your uncertain about the task's difficulty". I DO NOT want to see false positives. Power could also related to how precise a result you get. I already mentioned how we could show window accuracy of 5th, 10th, or 15ths.

- A new skill, research, could be added to the game. I'd like to create demand for goods in-game here; Thus, you have to active it by doing something with paper and an ink-filled reed pen. The process consumes paper and ink.

How is this usefull?

1. Wouldn't it be cool to immediately get some feed back about how well your chose meditation rug will give you skill?

2. How about immediately getting feedback about mining skill regarding your picks ql and your chosen target vein?

3. No longer do you have to grind for hours with different ql tool and different difficulty targets whilst using some third party event/skill log parsing tool to figure out if your doing the right thing.

• Like 1

Just try it your self with a few different QL's, It is fairly easy to pickup on as is...

I like the concept as a new path of knowledge or ring enchant, so long as the descriptions of difficulty are vague, similar to what OP suggested, I would +1 this. 

Not a bad idea, but I don't agree with having it as a skill or spell/enchant. Also, it's not a top priority because older players or those with high skill generally can give the best training methods.

All these people complaining about the game becoming too easy, and you want to add to that?

This is already available and people are using the concept in a different way. Check out the third party skill log scanners. I already have a python script to parse logs. As I see it, people are already using this and its not causing any issues. 

So why not make it a more formal addition that is more user friendly.

All this would do is take away the advantages programmers and power gaming elites have. It would let any gamer assess how effectively they are playing the game.

Edited by joedobo

All these people complaining about the game becoming too easy, and you want to add to that?

Edited by joedobo

There is a big difference between players working out what seems to get them the best skill, and the game telling you exactly what the best way to gain skill is(which of course turns that into the "only" way).

Not a bad idea, but I don't agree with having it as a skill or spell/enchant. Also, it's not a top priority because older players or those with high skill generally can give the best training methods.

LOL... That's so not true... I mean most older players still can't agree if CoC gives characteristics bonus exp or not. As long as there's no hard data its always been speculation regardless of how well fundamented.

+1 to this, you already have a good measure of dificulty on creation (% chance) why not for everything else?

This won't make the game any easier. People already using a different form of it with all the log parsing tools.

So your argument is that because people already do this with 3rd party software we shouldn't have it as a in-game feature? Does that sound logical to you?

How is the game made easier or harder about this. There's no real difficulty to the game, the only thing that makes it "hard" is how freaking time consuming it is. There's no mental challenge, there's no skill challenge, its just a time challenge. The only reason why the gms are so concerned about marcos and botting is because the game is so simple that a bot can do ANYTHING just as well as a human.

Which skill? I'm working a sword blade at a forge and I am increasing:

1. Blade smithing
  2. Weapon smithing
  3. Smithing
  4. Hammer
  5. Misc Items
  6. Body Strength
  7. Body Control
  8. Maybe even Stamina (don't recall)
  9. Body

Granted 6-9 are characteristics, if you want to get into semantics, but operate on the same principle. Even if we exclude them, that is 5 skills I might be trying to raise and the logic to guess what the player wants, OR a clunky UI to show them all, would be needed.

There is a big difference between players working out what seems to get them the best skill, and the game telling you exactly what the best way to gain skill is(which of course turns that into the "only" way).

Which skill? I'm working a sword blade at a forge and I am increasing:

1. Blade smithing

Weapon smithing

Smithing

Hammer

Misc Items

Body Strength

Body Control

Maybe even Stamina (don't recall)

Body

Granted 6-9 are characteristics, if you want to get into semantics, but operate on the same principle. Even if we exclude them, that is 5 skills I might be trying to raise and the logic to guess what the player wants, OR a clunky UI to show them all, would be needed.

Would be enough just to be able to get a read akin to % of success on creation. You can estimate your difficulty from that, and make elations.