Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 39

LssnW39L.jpg

Hello Fellow Wurmians!

So many threads to weave into this weeks news hehe.

Both feedback request a new competition and good news.

I am thinking this will be an appreciated one so lets just

Share some News!

Sheep!

>http://vimeo.com/104020104

The amazing sheep is about to be added.

I can say with some certainty it will be in within a week.

We are implementing them first simply as a farm creature where you can start collecting them and harvesting wool to stockpile.

Later there will of course come new options on how to use this material.

But for now let us all rejoice in this soon to come fluffy addition to the game!

PvP Changes

We are looking for a new round of constructive feedback to further tweak PvP balance.

I know plenty of you have left feedback in the thread created 8th of September when some changes was made.

But much has happened since then and the changes has started to become more properly tested.

So if you have commented earlier in the light of recent changes, you can edit it to repost in the new thread so it follows the new criteria I will mention there.

PvP Changes Feedback submissions.

Select Bar

SelectBar.png

We are currently tweaking the details to make code and art come together in a minimalistic and functional interface.

A small progress bar was included underneath the general interface. (not in the picture)

The progress bar was first tested as placed behind the text but was concluded to be to obstructive for readability.

There is also an ongoing investigation into the situations for dynamically updating the interface with new information.

In other words when state changes occur.

I touched on this last week with the example of a mining action resulting in an opening and the interface then needs to change to the corresponding actions relating to the now new selected item.

This same type of state changes occur all the time in Wurm with different things and they all need their set of triggers and rules to function correctly with the interface.

79 Icons for different actions has been produced so far.

I say that already makes for one impressive amount of ways you can possibly interact with the game.

Indoor View Distance.

This one is short, simple but oh so sweet.

You will now have the same view distance you have outdoors, indoors.

In other words, items will not disappear at the far end of a large room.

Bear in mind though that this is only true whilst indoors.

When you are outside looking in, the same restrictions as before with short view distance is still the same.

This is of course to save on performance.

Particularly in cities due to the ridiculous amount of stuff that tend to accumulate inside Wurmians residences over time.

LOD - Level of Detail

Continuing the quest to translate all models into simpler shapes to be viewed from afar.

Given the amount of models we have I think we can safely presume this will be an ongoing endeavor for quite some time.

In the end it will be worth it though when we reap the well needed benefits of less detail having to be displayed without perceivable quality or view distance loss.

A new Affliction

Affliction.jpg

This is a reiteration of the confirmed date on which the affliction server will go down to get a new chance at glory.

The date is October 8th. Better be prepared!

Boats

New general code for handling collisions will soon be added.

This will not currently change anything noticeably for you. But the boats will benefit from this and it also changes the grounds for how they would be implemented.

So rather than implementing them twice, now and once the new code gets in.

We will need to have some patience and wait for this new code to not waste valuable dev time.

So for now they are put on a temporary hold.

Beer hat, no sorry it is a Bear hat!

BearHead_Helmet.png

This fresh from our art director Wox.

I do not have much information about it yet but my highly educated guess is you would need at least one bear to craft this item.

Community and Work competition!

This week we are having another competition where we want you to really work for it so to say.

Okay so this time it is pretty straight forward, we want to see community projects in action!

As many people doing as visual and appealing teamwork as possible in a nice screenshot.

If the project you are doing and the environment is beautiful it will of course be to your advantage.

Like last time there will be three winning submissions but you now also need to name all the people in the shot participating in the project.

Remember, it is not just about the amount of people, it is about the overall quality of the screenshot.

As this is a community project we need to reward it as such.

So each winning contribution will get a total of 30 SleepPowders to share amongst the team collaborating on the project.

Also the chance of getting featured on Wurms promotional page!

Click this text to go to the Submissions Page!

So lovely with these competitions which I always thoroughly enjoy.

There is just so many creative players in this community, so once more I will be waiting in anticipation!

Whilst I do that you should probably

Keep on Wurming!

• Like 22

Sheep!

That is exciting. The  select bar is exciting but 79 icons created for it and some items in game currently have no icon still.

Bear hats! Yesh! When are bear claw shoulders coming to match :D

"When you are outside looking in, the same restrictions as before with short view distance is still the same."

Why this functionaility is not toggleable ill probably never know... Let us decided what is rendered...

Tell the art guys the larger tables need a makeover i want to finish a dining area to complete the first floor of my new house  :)

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 6

Sheep!

New tool: Spinning Wheel

New Skill: Spinning

New Items: Wool rug, wool socks, wool sweater, wool hat, wool earmuffs, wool horse barding, wool bedsheets,....

Yes?? Please! :D

• Like 1

Bear hats. My life is complete.

Never gonna take that thing off :D

• Like 1

What will boats be colliding with? If it's with each other, your PvP feedback thread will be exploding. Boat to boat collisions would destroy boat PvP.

Yay Sheep!  Now I really need to redesign my farm.   :D

Hmm a bear hat...a turtle shield...now we need a Sharkskin suit and my Fo priest will be ready to head to town in style!

• Like 1

I can't wait for the sheep! But speaking of creatures, has Erik's mob dispersion tool been used on the live servers yet? Xanadu especially? I don't want to get too excited about creatures that I know I won't get to see any off for months. (The list of creatures that I haven't seen on Xanadu yet is actually way bigger than the list of creatures that I HAVE seen. And unfortunately the first list includes every creature type that has been added since sharks - sharks included even).

I have some reservations about this new Select Bar, one being that it is another pane to clutter up the view of the Wurm environments. That is smaller in comparison though as to how to set it up with all these various icons and actions. There is a lot left unexplained about its functions and even when it comes out I doubt there will be much detail released with it on how to use it to best advantage.

I anticipate that for myself the key binds that I have set up will fulfill its functions well enough and it will only be used in certain instances. Of course I could be wrong and just not realizing its full potential due to the lack of providing much detail about it.

Anyway, good to read your usual optimistic and enthusiastic Weekly Update once again RedBaron, if only for that alone.

To Sheep I say, Baa Bah! Just kidding (sort of), you poor sheep like followers.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Truly a fantastic update, I can't wait to have my hoard of sheep, and turtles, and seals, and crabs and everything else grow. Love the new additions, and the promise of the bear hat(!!!!). Thank you, Wurm staff, for always bringing new and fun things to the game(and all the effort you put into that and everything else)!

Particularly in cities due to the ridiculous amount of stuff that tend to accumulate inside Wurmians residences over time.

Nonono. Do not implement half done work. Implement sheep when you have the related skills and products ready too. What kind of sillyness is that? Like making bread and start eating the dough instead of baking it first.

Pvp needs a complete overhaul, not some tweaks here and there which it will likely turn out to be in the end. Take the time and resources to put in some real effort for once.

Trimless housewalls?

Trellises?

Dont announce new things "within a week" when you have not delivered the things that should be there from the last time you announced "within a week"!

• Like 2