Sign in to follow this  
Caroligan

Who is the best fighter in Wurm?

I thought op was asking about what "class" is the best, axeman vs swordman or spearman vs sword&board, etc.

This question comes up a lot, but I think it would be hard to classify the best "overall" fighter, an how you measure that.

If you measure it by the number of player kills that these fighters get, in my long experience observing PvP in this game, I would suggest they rely on any combination of the following (in order of importance).

• ability to quickly understand a situation and have the flexibility to react to it in a flash.
  • understanding the game mechanics involved in PvP, to have an advantage.
  • bending or creating situations to their advantage (for example, going out roaming, or successful aggressive or defensive tactics in the heat of the moment, communication, and avoiding panic).
  • spending a huge number of hours every day to grind up their game skills to have an advantage.
  • paying for or otherwise acquiring elite equipment to have an advantage.

I have met a few dozen who in my view were highly successful in all of these areas.

However, I am of the firm belief that there is another layer to "fighting" in Wurm, and that is on a kingdom level. There are many 'unsung heroes' in Wurm PvP who form the foundation of kingdoms and allow the killing players to kill one another.

I think these include:

• Top Level: Long-term strategists (especially on large servers) that mould the environment to provide advantages to fighters on the ground, including monitoring enemy activity, and providing a safe environment for the killers to develop (grind) their in-game skills, and general opportunities for their kingdom to strike enemy kingdoms in raids and skirmishes. They also need to be very convincing player-motivators.
  • Intermediate Level: Infrastructure builders who ensure that long term strategies are possible through the detailed planning and building of individual war deeds, towers, tunnels, roads, etc. and general logistics. They need to be good organisers.
  • Fundamental Level: Crafters who produce the equipment required to fulfil Intermediate and top-level fighting goals, including the basic willingness to do the "boring part" of all these projects like making bricks, breeding horses, making weapons and armour, priest developing, tools, food, etc.

Most players who are successful at player killing also have a role in the further layer of PvP, but there are some players who always prefer one side or the other. I have known some players who have exclusively played the game to kill other players, and that is an entirely viable playstyle, but they don't contribute in any meaningful way to overall kingdom progress. On the same token there are many players on PvP servers who massively prefer to contribute to 'the war effort' through planning, building and creating things than directly killing other players.

In my view the ideal PvPer therefore has to have an exceptional knowledge of the game, be willing and unafraid to create and take advantages of PvP situations in the moment without panicking, be able to grind their skills up sufficiently, and they should be seriously well equipped. Most of all, though, they must be aware of or a few steps ahead of their situation at all times. However, they must also be willing and capable of being a long-term strategist for their kingdom, a micro-level planner, and with good enough motivation to do the "leg work" behind any kingdom project.

Of these last sort, I have met very, very few if any.

Off the top of my head, thinking about well known PvPers, many of them meet most of these criteria well but I would make the case, from my own experience, that Playtimesover (PTO, and other names) is probably one of the best fighters to have played.

He was relatively calm and very alert in PvP situations, many of which he deliberately created himself through his confidence and good judgement when actively roaming, not just when the odds were stacked in his favour, and he had a particularly fantastic knowledge of PvP game mechanics. He also went through the effort to create not one but several highly successful PvP accounts (a relatively rare trait shared with players like posteh) through building the necessary skills quickly and efficiently through knowledge of existing game mechanics. These were reasons he was a good killer. However, PTO was a good kingdom motivator and administrator, and he was very good when it came to investing time and effort into kingdom projects which would help tip the balance in a Kingdom's favour. You need only look at examples of Coniunctis Viribus, a city he organised and built to try to destroy LO, along with Broodje Bakpaal to counter LO Landbridge. He also seemed instrumental in building a defended road to The Horde after all that was done and LO was gone. These are but a few examples of projects he not only suggested, but pushed and made huge contributions in leg-work over at least 4 or 5 years in the game, for whatever kingdom he played.

• Like 6

-Snips-

I cried, why did you overcommit, why woosssooo.

• Like 1

What about the other stuff about pto... lol.... I wont make any accusations on the forums but everyone knows whats up lol...

What about the other stuff about pto... lol.... I wont make any accusations on the forums but everyone knows whats up lol...

Occasionally players have such an in-depth knowledge of the game mechanics they can find ways of doing things that, in the end, are found to be unintended and considered exploits. So in that way such in depth knowledge can be a double-edged sword that gets you in serious trouble and can be your downfall.

• Like 1

Occasionally players have such an in-depth knowledge of the game mechanics they can find ways of doing things that, in the end, are found to be unintended and considered exploits. So in that way such in depth knowledge can be a double-edged sword that gets you in serious trouble and can be your downfall.

And then I started to wonder who the best forum warrior is in Wurm...

I could actually rank there :D

Lets see Gavins skill dump, do a price check bro.

Pvp isnt only about skills. Even lower skilled player with better experience may kill higher skilled player without experience

Edited by Stinky
  • Like 2

Not often, nor likely. there is so much bonus stacking that goes on its really doubtful unless you get lucky with circumstance.

I'm not known as the greatest of all time e.g. G.O.A.T. for nothing.

/thread

• Like 1

After reading this thread, I'm reminded of the Minecraft, Everquest, and Final Fantasy XI forums.

rHLTKTP.gif

Enjoy your slap fight. Nobody will ever agree on who the best slapper is.

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 2

Time - You just can't win against time.

Back in the days I'd say that very few people could compare to fighters that came out of the mindsets of LO and other Libila fighters that had been there since Beta , no idea however how the status is today, but I'd guess some players have massive advantages due to several years of grinding fighting and getting almost godlike characteristics and CR bonus.

However and without putting up names, I do remember that several players where indeed much better than other players who probably grinded a lot more, these players didnt stay around kicking / knifing a pig for a whole day ( insert troll if avaibable ) and actually where very active both raiding and killing players / wildlife. Zeno is a good example of such a player even though we never really fought togheter in Gold 2.0 ( I wanted to relax and he wanted me to enlist and go crazy raiding basically ).

A little sidenote : I'm a bit concerned about a friend of mine who sadly spends too much time in wurm and forgets about giving his wife and kid some more time , I really hope he can start looking around and spend less time here as family is way more important than a single game. Yes that goes for you and you know well who you are.

MAlvado, yes we all knoew LO and how you ppl grinded fightingrelated stats on alts. 

Btw how coem you still lurk here in trhe forum? you stopped playing 4 years ago? 

• Like 1

Hmm, best fighter in wurm. 

There are some really good combatants in -game right now, both on epic and chaos/ wild, including  Cobb, Cornchips, Kings, Awakening, and a good few others I have missed out on Epic, and then over on wild, so many good players, in all the kingdoms. To name a few :

Nosyt, Red, Emoo, Kurik, Togiodi, Gavin, Potissimus, Mawej, Hogwash. 

MAlvado, yes we all knoew LO and how you ppl grinded fightingrelated stats on alts. 

Btw how coem you still lurk here in trhe forum? you stopped playing 4 years ago? 

You know, lying about something won't make it true. Grinding on alts was done back in beta , at least I did , for Gold 1 and 2 I got my skill legit and did not abuse alts nor did I stand in the front of a cave entrance to skill up , summon with magranon to skill up in caves or raise zombies to skill up in caves or the many many other ways it could have been done. Yes, I did several things that was not good, in particular I used Macros to mine ( But heh, never even got past 70 mining I think) and I knew and still know who abuse(s)d certain programs that allows for a lot of things that never should be possible if wurm had the proper security it should have had.

I don't have a F clue about who you are , why you are acusing me and why you care at all by posting BS like this , but the inmaturity of your post is like a 5 year old spoiled kid , so grow up and get a grip on life. And btw , its been 6 years now going to 7 years in 2015 if you ever learn maths (look at my signature).

Edit : To clarify there's a typo here, s and d are pretty close and I was talking about the past , if the same persons are around in wurm I have no idea as I haven't played in almost 7 years now.

Edited by Malvado

Some stuff Malvado said.

One does not simply quit Wurm. If you do, though, you may become a billionaire.

I lived at LO for a long time and I can confirm that I never saw any grinding on alts in G2 and for the brief period I was in LO in G1. However a group there loved to use macros and external / hack tools to get ahead in the game. Most were banned but some have returned. Suffice to say in my view that disqualifies them from being considered best PvPers. Grey area exploits are one thing, but hack tools and macros are several steps further down the bad path.

Anyway this is all besides the point.

• Like 1

Is it? These legends of creative hacks if I may call them such dog the pvp community sadly in wurm at every step. There are incredible accounts out there, but the cheating or exploiting or...call it what you will taints the achievements of all.

Edited by Pingpong
  • Like 1