Sign in to follow this  
Tissotx

Drumroll and Affinity

+1 if very very small chance ;) better than gaining a ton of rare mortars and bricks

Edited by geode

geode what is the trick to get more rare's, is it by doing anything in wurm?

From a previous thread where running out of fatigue dont seems to be a issue for 95% of wurm players, I kinda wonder if the game has reached as point where most just log on, putter around and chats for a while about good ol' times, telling same stories over and over again like old people tend do.

Well considering how small of an increase an affinity actually provides, I fail to see much a point in wasting the time to code in a non-PvP way to gain them. If you want the small bonus affinities provide, then go fight on Chaos for them, otherwise you aren't missing out on much.

Spoken like a true "PvPer".

"Do it our way or don't do it at all".

You should place that "my posts express my personal, biased, views, and no the views of code club" signature there mate.

On topic:

Like mr. Lead forum mod pointed out, its such a small bonus, that it really won't be much of a bad thing if you gain 5 afinity on a skill in a couple of days. Actually makes way more sense that you gain affinity like this than the random or "vampiric" pvp one. I mean if you get a lot of rare rolls on a skill means you do it a lot, which means you probably have some personal preference (or affinity) to it.

So +1.

Well considering how small of an increase an affinity actually provides, I fail to see much a point in wasting the time to code in a non-PvP way to gain them. If you want the small bonus affinities provide, then go fight on Chaos for them, otherwise you aren't missing out on much.

Not exactly true shrimpiie.

5% exp, faster timer by 0.1 on some skills, and some apparently have other uses to (ore being very slightly higher ql) so with 5x affinity... That's a huge difference. Heck, 5% is.

I get rare drumrolls on many occasions, I would have had quite a bit of affinities gathered over the last few years... not sure I like this.

Affinities are, affinities. you should get one, and maybe later discover another. Not have a million of them. This is another "make the game easier" suggestion. Cannot seem to find my love for these.

I get rare drumrolls on many occasions, I would have had quite a bit of affinities gathered over the last few years... not sure I like this.

Affinities are, affinities. you should get one, and maybe later discover another. Not have a million of them. This is another "make the game easier" suggestion. Cannot seem to find my love for these.

Spoken like a true "PvPer".

"Do it our way or don't do it at all".

You should place that "my posts express my personal, biased, views, and no the views of code club" signature there mate.

So let us look at how hollow this part of the post is shall we.

I've not been to Chaos in ages, never fully PvPed so the belittling my opinion with that argument is null.

Let's see, last I checked the fact of being staff doesn't exclude me of having an opinion. My OPINION is just as much valid as yours in thinking that it is better for Wurm. If you have to stoop to calling my opinion is personal and bias, and thus should be discarded, then that only goes to show how weak and empty your own argument is.

Now back to the topic at hand:

I'd 100% agree to this, on the basis that people would fill up with affinities relatively easy due to the high number of rare rolls that happen. Example can be just take a look into the market sections at all the rares being sold, and that is just the drum rolls that actually created a rare :P

There's no reason why there can not be a mechanism in place to prevent gaining an additional affinity before X amount of time has passed. that can quell any fears of "OMG they'll exploit it!". Not like the whole farming alts thing isn't already hugely exploited anyway...but I digress.

There could also be a check that reduces your chances to gain one based on how many you already have providing even more limits to what could be gained.

Of course, affinities are one of the many exclusively pvp perks and shouldn't be shared with the greater population that doesn't want to play 'their' way. It just wouldn't be right to make more players happy when it's already such a successful motivator to encourage pvp in Wurm.

Let me give a simple example of how easy it would be (and I am not even a coder):

Insert new field in PVE karma abilities; title it "God's Wisdom" (or what have you). Cost: 5k karma. Ability: adds one random affinity to player's skill tree. Cooldown: 24 hrs.

Done.

• Like 2

So let us look at how hollow this part of the post is shall we.

I've not been to Chaos in ages, never fully PvPed so the belittling my opinion with that argument is null.

Let's see, last I checked the fact of being staff doesn't exclude me of having an opinion. My OPINION is just as much valid as yours in thinking that it is better for Wurm. If you have to stoop to calling my opinion is personal and bias, and thus should be discarded, then that only goes to show how weak and empty your own argument is.

Now back to the topic at hand:

I'd 100% agree to this, on the basis that people would fill up with affinities relatively easy due to the high number of rare rolls that happen. Example can be just take a look into the market sections at all the rares being sold, and that is just the drum rolls that actually created a rare :P

1) You do understand you're just digging your own grave there? I mean why do you go to chaos if not for the PvP. Oh wait profit. And abusing the affinity system is one of those instances. So yeah.

2) Also as a SENIOR member of staff  (as in LEAD Forum Moderator) all your statements are weighed against that position, whether you like it or not. If you can't prevent yourself from showing just how biased you are, maybe you should step down.

3) So let them Fill up their affinities ON ALL SERVERS, not just on Chaos where they already do it.

+1  Disable it for PvP servers is PvPers dont like it.

Fact of the matter is, PvP servers have a way to harvest affinities, but PvE players do no.

• Like 3

1) You do understand you're just digging your own grave there? I mean why do you go to chaos if not for the PvP. Oh wait profit. And abusing the affinity system is one of those instances. So yeah.

2) Also as a SENIOR member of staff  (as in LEAD Forum Moderator) all your statements are weighed against that position, whether you like it or not. If you can't prevent yourself from showing just how biased you are, maybe you should step down.

3) So let them Fill up their affinities ON ALL SERVERS, not just on Chaos where they already do it.

So first, I'm digging no such grave. Not sure how you are tying abuse of the affinity system in with me, as I've never done such a thing.

Second, I'm showing bias because I believe my opinion is right for Wurm? That is the most twisted logic I've ever seen. You are just taking cheap shots at me because my opinion is different than your own, because your own is so full of holes that is all you can do. The concept you seem to have trouble grasping is that I indeed am also a player of Wurm, and regardless of staff title, am entitled to an opinion. Your false accusations of bias are only making you seem that much more desperate to debunk my opinion, so I would just give you the advice to drop your nonsense while you are behind.

• Like 1

So first, I'm digging no such grave. Not sure how you are tying abuse of the affinity system in with me, as I've never done such a thing.

Second, I'm showing bias because I believe my opinion is right for Wurm? That is the most twisted logic I've ever seen. You are just taking cheap shots at me because my opinion is different than your own, because your own is so full of holes that is all you can do. The concept you seem to have trouble grasping is that I indeed am also a player of Wurm, and regardless of staff title, am entitled to an opinion. Your false accusations of bias are only making you seem that much more desperate to debunk my opinion, so I would just give you the advice to drop your nonsense while you are behind.

Lol, holes?

Seriously mate. I could do a rundown of your posts and paste here just how everytime there's a thread like this you show bias towards favoring the status quo and benefiting PvP. But really, wasted effort on someone that answers the suggestion with

Nope. You get an affinity to start with and if you want more head West to Chaos :P

to start with.

My argument is full of holes? At least i have a argument. You're just saying its broken, but it benefits you or your mates down at chaos, so lets keep it that way.

Newsflash, I've not been on Chaos in ages. I was there for a couple months, mostly just skilling on deed, and I never once entered combat in PvP, so I've no actual investment whatsoever into Chaos.

At least I have the stones to go brave Chaos if I ever want to get into affinities; you want the perks of PvP, actually PvP for them.

• Like 3

Lol Kane and shrimp :P need some kool aid?

Overall though, it can be lower then 5%. I personally love the idea in general, and it makes sense.

Though if I'm doing, say, WS, it should be a random smithing skill (in my opinion). And maybe add some flavored text like: "you've learned a new way in sharpening the blade!" Or something.

Lol Kane and shrimp :P need some kool aid?

Overall though, it can be lower then 5%. I personally love the idea in general, and it makes sense.

Though if I'm doing, say, WS, it should be a random smithing skill (in my opinion). And maybe add some flavored text like: "you've learned a new way in sharpening the blade!" Or something.

Nah, makes more sense that it would be WS. I mean that way it really translates what you have a personal (real) affinity towards.

For balance, maybe, it could have a decay, like you gain affinity with Minning once, because you were surface minning a spot with crap dirt layer to make it flat, and you got a rare roll, and it created an affinity, but you really don't use the skill, you end up losing your affinity after a few months or so, because you really don't have an affinity towards the skill. That would probably require a internal timer that resets every time you use the skill of that affinity, and that after the timer reaches a certain number (counted in game time, not real time -as in stops ticking when you're not online) the affinity poofs, or if you have more than one of that affinity (surface minning does take a while) would reduce it by one.

+1. I like it. I don't see why my PvE priest has to be gimped with an absolutely useless affinity in Exorcism, just because I never signed up for the PvP part of the game.

But I do believe, that the chance of gaining an affinity should be less than the rare chance. Supreme chance seems more fitting to me.

And on top of that, I also believe that affinities in characteristics should be excluded from being gained in this way. I don't really think that HFC-grinds should get yet another benefit of possible ML and SD affinities.

It is already easy enough to gain new affinities. Do not try to undermine pvp because you are a coward and want their goodies for free.

It is already easy enough to gain new affinities. Do not try to undermine pvp because you are a coward and want their goodies for free.

1) There's a huge difference between a coward and someone who isn't misguided into considering crap as PvP. Cowards are those that use the PvP "free-griefing" to attack empty deeds with no repercussions.

2) Cowards are those that farm Affinities from alts instead of their enemies. Or that BUY affinities from others.

3) People on pvp are getting the goodies for free, so why shouldn't people on PVE? Cause you're exploiting a mechanic we can't have a new less exploitable one to replace it?

At least stick to posting just the -1 cause your argument was too easy to break.