Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Nerf sea serpents

Please?

They are too fast, have too high aggro range, almost not possible to run away from one. Plus, with low render range, I don't think you can even see them until they aggro you.

edit: changed the title

Edited by Samool
  • Like 10

Just lower their speed so a new player can outrun them. 1km/h slower than 1 player with low wind in a rowboat maybe? Whatever that speed is.

I don't want to see them neutral.

• Like 3

+1

When i was out hunting yesterday, I had a thought.

Most animals In real life run away from humans, even the scent or noise of a human will make them flee in fear. Often before human even noticed they were there.

We could add a few more monsters to passive list based on that:

Anaconda, Bears, Wolf, Cave Bug, Hell Horse, Large Rat, Wild Cat

For New Players this would reduce the risk of death

And for old players with 70+ fighting skills it would not matter, those stuff dies in 3 hits anyway.

• Like 1

-1 they don't agro you unless your really close. Pilot your boat better and stop asking for nerfs

• Like 5

-1 they don't agro you unless your really close. Pilot your boat better and stop asking for nerfs

When a light breeze is blowing straight in your face, and when a sea serpent pops up very late due to rendering, it can get a bit tricky. Most certainly for new players.

I encountered one on Xanadu (a server with a large amount of new players) and was suprised how it was suddenly "IN MY FACE" out of nowhere (not that I cared much, because I had a strongbreeze that day backing me up).

Add some of that beautifull Oracle-Fog in the mix and you have yourself a heartattack.

I feel for the newbie with his rowboat who is floating by at 5km/h, wearing a shiny wooden shield and short sword.

• Like 2

I had one friend sail away from a sea serpent up to 40minutes in total in a gale :P

Imo they should be 5km/h or neutral until you decide to attack them.

• Like 1

I think most aggros (except maybe the ones that are supposed to hate humans and hunt them (Trolls, goblins, lava fiends and giant insects, i guess) should have their behavior more akin to that of hellhorses. As in they don't straightaway aggro you, but if you aggravate them enough, they will defend themselves.

Sea serpents wouldn't probably land on that category, but at least the whole "yay 300 mountain lions are aggroing me! Shoot, i killed that one by mistake in 1 hit... oops" think would stop. Its ANNOYING!!

All else i think AI could see some improvements, specially for newbie protection. I suggested a while ago that you have variable aggro, as in your aggro is proportional to your FS, so the more FS the wider your aggro range is. This protects new players with tiny aggro bubbles, and gives older players a better challenge with more baddies chasing them.

-1 they're SEA SERPENTS. Too bad if you get chased and die, they're pretty much like a unique. I get clobbered by kyklops occasionally.

They are PERFECT the way they are, the lack of danger in this game is so dissapointing, I'm happy that there is something out there which got a tiny bit of challenge left.

ps. guard towers excist for a reason.

• Like 2

Perhaps it's my own false vision, but on pve servers I'd like to have optional challenges, not have them thrown at my face.

Good luck getting to guard tower with one tailing you on Xanadu, having ocean stretching so far from landmass.

• Like 4

Perhaps it's my own false vision, but on pve servers I'd like to have optional challenges, not have them thrown at my face.

Good luck getting to guard tower with one tailing you on Xanadu, having ocean stretching so far from landmass.

• Like 3

they do ... what was it... 24km/h give or take (old one) .......

Slow the fastest ones, aged, to........i think 15 would be a good compromise.

They are huge and in the sea... just steer around them.

or better yet, just jump up on land incase they actually aggro?

But hey, you know what... I bet this is what really went down.

You were afk sailing along xanadu without giving 0 ****s about what was going on ingame and sailed straight into a sea serpent and since you are annoyed about going back to your ship you instantly want them nerfed instead of realising

Well, you'd be right if not the "small" difference that I wasn't afk and I escaped it easily (was going 26kmh but still had to cross border to lose it). It simply appeared after it has aggroed me due to low client settings.

Also, jumping onto land isn't possible when being far from it.

Them being "huge" doesn't mean they're easy to see when they don't appear at all.

I'm not whining about my meeting with one, I'm saying that they're simply annoying.

I do have the 70+fs, good gear, everything recommended to kill one, but I'm good without trying it, thanks.

There's no chance of escaping one in a newbie's rowboat, and that's the position I'm seeing it from.

Making them bypass render range would be a good solution as well, I'm just throwing options around.

Edited by Samool
  • Like 1

Meh having an seagoing aggro that actually acts like an aggro is fine imho. Granted the serpents should spawn in deeper waters while occasionally heading inland; although, pets can be brought in.

The rest of the seagoers act more akin to blues.

The situation on land is far more difficult by comparison.

Anything to make them avoidable.

^ They can be a big problem for newbies.

Edited by Chiqa

This reminds me of the troll bashing thread where a pile of aggressive people said that trolls are "supposed to" cause damage while others argued that we pay for the deeds and don't think that trolls wrecking the walls is enjoyable. As someone who at the time had 3 troll spawns less than 50 tiles away from the deed I fail to see how a mechanics can't be changed to benefit the players just because it's "supposed to" be a pain in the ass.

+1, sailing is already frustrating enough.

• Like 2

• Like 2

Ayes, in WoW a monster in the wild just chase you for like 10 tiles, and then it runs back to from where it started, and stay there and instant regain 100% health.

I got a wacky idea that might be hard for developrs to code.

If a monster is chasing a player, and the player drops 1 meat or food on the ground, the monster will stop chase and start eating. So player is safe, and monster is happy.

If a monster is chasing a player, and the player drops 1 meat or food on the ground, the monster will stop chase and start eating. So player is safe, and monster is happy.

I likes.  Granted, for a sea serpent, you may wanna carry around about 20kg ;-P

• Like 1

Meh having an seagoing aggro that actually acts like an aggro is fine imho. Granted the serpents should spawn in deeper waters while occasionally heading inland; although, pets can be brought in.

The rest of the seagoers act more akin to blues.

The situation on land is far more difficult by comparison.

You forget a few vital differences here:

1. On land you can pimp your horses, get five speeders and then outrun all mobs, you cannot pimp your ship or hitch anything to it to make it go faster.  You are totally reliant on the wind.  And in wurm we have the light breeze, and the gale in your face.

2.  On land you have roads and guard towers built, in the ocean you have to rely in the occasional guard tower which happens to be close to water in most cases they are inland.  Due to the slow speed of guards you have to sail around the tower for quite a while before they reach the serpent, so you have to navigate to go in circles there with the wind which affects your speed thus you may be sailing right to the serpent instead of away from it...

3. You can have the wind in your face too if you try to get away from it, slowing you to below 5 km/h.  You cannot just manoevre around as you could do on land, as you are relying on the wind.

4. The NEVER lose aggro.  I don't know of any land mob that acts this way.  Most times if you get far enough from it they stop chasing you.  Sea serpents never stop chasing you unless you put guards on them to draw aggro from you, or you switch servers.  Now, if you happen to get the serpent on say the east side of Release or Pristine, where there are currently three or more sea serpents living, you cannot just sail east and off the server, so bless your soul if the wind happens to come from the land's direction and you try to land your ship to escape the constant attack.

5. They also attack ships now.

6. Two people on a cart can fight a mob together.  Two (or more) people on a ship cannot fight together, as the passengers are too far to hit due to their position on the ship.  As far as I know, nobody can really solo kill a serpent, unless you are a priest with some spells, and even then, it is doubtful you will kill it alone.

If you want to make these mobs have such huge aggro, make them slow so you can outrun them.  Secondly, allow for imping ships so they go faster.  Thirdly, get rid of the light breeze. Fourth,  make them lose aggro. Fifth, everyone on a ship should be able to hit them even if they are passengers or not. Once these changes have been made, you can start comparing these sea monsters with land monsters, and your options to deal with them.

• Like 1