Sign in to follow this  
Gaeron

The Lore

For any that do not actually know it, here is the official game lore

Impressive? No.

Considering that many players, especially when trying to argue on PvP quote "The Lore" are actually referencing this, it makes me want to laugh, when I don't want to cry.

What they are actually referring to is the players in game perceptions of what "The Lore" might be. While at times most people agree on certain basics every single understanding of that lore is subjective. It is that individuals interpretation of something that has no formal agreement or even an actual form.

This is also a reason why so many balancing suggestions make things worse. Balancing suggestions made from different arbitrary base lines is never going to end well.

This is half rant and half plea. What we have now sucks badly and that is being nice about it, its a place-holder and nothing else. Replace it with something that has some character and meat to it. If the lore is player created it must be vetted and passed by the Dev team as suitable.

For any that do not actually know it, here is the official game lore

Impressive? No.

Considering that many players, especially when trying to argue on PvP quote "The Lore" are actually referencing this, it makes me want to laugh, when I don't want to cry.

What they are actually referring to is the players in game perceptions of what "The Lore" might be. While at times most people agree on certain basics every single understanding of that lore is subjective. It is that individuals interpretation of something that has no formal agreement or even an actual form.

This is also a reason why so many balancing suggestions make things worse. Balancing suggestions made from different arbitrary base lines is never going to end well.

This is half rant and half plea. What we have now sucks badly and that is being nice about it, its a place-holder and nothing else. Replace it with something that has some character and meat to it. If the lore is player created it must be vetted and passed by the Dev team as suitable.

The lore is what the players make it, the only thing devs have to with the plot is releasing new lands. I highly doubt that's actually an official lore made by Rolf, maybe by Wossoo. If it is, then who cares? Players still make the plot.

Edited by atazs

The lore is what the players make it, the only thing devs have to with the plot is releasing new lands. I highly doubt that's actually an official lore made by Rolf, maybe by Wossoo. If it is, then who cares? Players still make the plot.

Made by Notch, but almost 9 years ago, games changed way to much.

The real Lore quick-guide when it comes to goods:

Lib god of death and she is evil through and through. Loves Zombies and evil creature, enjoys people suffer, like their followers to Kill, Steal ..

Mag god of war, rock and fire. Loves to shape the land with mountains. He is not afraid of destruction which comes with war and moving mountains and bending the mind of awful creatures is what he want his follower to do. 

Fo god of nature and regeneration, He loves nothing more than to perfect and regenerate life itself.

Vynora, is the god of Knowledge, his favored element is water. He wants to help people to do their work faster and better, he is an perfectionist. By now he is the only priest to have tamed the power of water.

Would be nice if some dev or someone could be the official chronicler that people can send Lore stuff to.

The lore in the game is interesting imho. And I think many people would appreciate if ingame actions and events could affect the history/lore.

Kind of another side of the sandbox experience provided here.

with no lore, no backstory about kingdoms, deities, historic rivalries, factions,  there is no fuel for the fire....its just a bunch of pointless arbitrary skirmish..imo. When you get into the game lore its a whole new experience. if you cant find immersion in an MMO, well i don't know what to tell you, maybe try solitaire?

ps: if you disregard lore, you can be a superman priest with no limitations because you ignored the game lore and deities and are now enjoying baseless pixels in a sandbox. i mean they are pretty meaningless as is, let the game lore breathe life into the sea of dead pixels.

Edited by Hogwash

In a game with no NPCs or whatever else, it's story is literally made up by us. All of the great PVP battles of the past 8 years are the games lore and history. The great constructs, the kings and queens, the champions of the gods - they're all the players. Perhaps if the events recorded by the scribes and harbingers of the kingdoms were stored somewhere permanent... then we'd have more of a lore.

Edited by Stormi
  • Like 1

You could easily create plot, conflict and war, by injecting dev-run events into the game.

Pick a spot on Elevation or Chaos, say "this god has made a move" or "this kingdom is attacking with an army" - create (or run it as a dev) an avatar of the god, or a gigantic super creature representing the army. Then have people defend/attack it.

Winners get spoils. Losers get decimated.

Have the smaller, weaker kingdoms be on the avatar's side more often, giving them more help from their kingdom and/or gods.

After each dev-run event, scribe the victors of each event into the annuls of Wurm history. Write out the plot as it unfolds like a choose-your-own-adventure book.

If someone cries favoritism - show favoritism to the opposite side they're on, because it's funnier that way.

Edited by Dairuka

with no lore, no backstory about kingdoms, deities, historic rivalries, factions,  there is no fuel for the fire....its just a bunch of pointless arbitrary skirmish..imo. When you get into the game lore its a whole new experience. if you cant find immersion in an MMO, well i don't know what to tell you, maybe try solitaire?

ps: if you disregard lore, you can be a superman priest with no limitations because you ignored the game lore and dieties and are now enjoying baseless pixels in a sandbox. i mean they are pretty meaningless as is, let the game lore breathe life into the sea of pixels.

• Like 1

wurm is open ended, there is always room for discussion and nothing is permanent. however the game lore is a nice origin for folks come to agreement as to where they can get their bearing and a direction for a backstory and where one could begin such a discussion.

Edited by Hogwash

Odd I thought Notch left before GV was created.

I don't think the devs really follow the lore anyway.

Odd I thought Notch left before GV was created.

I don't think the devs really follow the lore anyway.

Edited by As_I_Decay

"The Lore" is nothing more than a last ditch, supposedly definitive counter to anything you don't like but don't have a real valid argument against. 95% of the time it is used by someone to oppose a nerf they are about to receive, prevent someone else from doing something that only they can currently do, or prevent a buff to an enemy. The remaining 5% are the Chiroptera Guano Irrationals that want the roleplaying they did years ago to dictate how all future players experience the game and for Wurm to wallow in a nostalgic rut.

• Like 1

The remaining 5% are the Chiroptera Guano Irrationals that want the roleplaying they did years ago to dictate how all future players experience the game and for Wurm to wallow in a nostalgic rut.

Had to look this reference up, so perhaps you are referring to chiroptera guano psychosis. A new one to me. Got a chuckle out of it once I understood the terminology fully.

Anyway, yea Lore is nice for a fictional backstory embellished with in game references but to trend the game play in the direction indicated by it would be too constricting for further developmental progress. I see it more as just a nice bedtime story to lull the children to sleep. No harm done then.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Had to look this reference up, so perhaps you are referring to chiroptera guano psychosis. A new one to me. Got a chuckle out of it once I understood the terminology fully.

Heh, yeah, I thought it was a creative way of saying bat crazy. Kind of like the term "sexual intellectual" is used to nicely say know-it-all.

• Like 1

In a game with no NPCs or whatever else, it's story is literally made up by us. All of the great PVP battles of the past 8 years are the games lore and history. The great constructs, the kings and queens, the champions of the gods - they're all the players. Perhaps if the events recorded by the scribes and harbingers of the kingdoms were stored somewhere permanent... then we'd have more of a lore.

here here!!