Sign in to follow this  
Faolin

Bee's please

I don't remember if this topic has ever been touched on if so sorry I'm going to bring it up again. I think adding beekeeping to Wurm would be a good addition indeed. The possibilities and uses for the stinging little buggers would be very beneficial in my opinion. We could use that Fine carp skill to fashion a beehive. Add the catching of them into the nature line using perhaps a net that could be crafted and used on flower tiles. Once the bee has been caught it could be kept in the hive for producing honey for use in cooking and hopefully some day MEAD, and wax for candles or fuel in lanterns for folks that don't have a readily available tar supply.

The bees could be fed simply by planting and maintaining flowers on the tile and groomed or attended to using the same skill set as AH. The better the bee and QL of the hive, the more materials produced on a daily basis. A model for them wouldn't even be needed so it would be a little easier from a programming standpoint. All you would get upon catching one is a bee icon in inventory that you can put in the hive like you would put a gem in a box.

• Like 7

It's been suggested multiple times before along with mead and honey and the like, and it would make an excellent addition to Wurm.

+1000

TL;DR

+1 too all bee related posts

Edited by Tissotx

+1 to all above plus:

Perhaps allow a well-maintained beehive increase yields from nearby fruit trees?

• Like 2

Always for it when it comes up. Some have been more detailed than others, especially for the various uses for honey and beewax.

For example there is a toxin that can be produced by the bacteria Clostridium botulinum (aka a paralytic illness called botulism). The bacteria can be farmed on various poorly packaged foods, in particular honey.

Beeswax has similar uses as tallow or animal fat. Including being used as a base for salves, and its a superior material for candles. In addition a few other ancient uses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeswax#Historical_uses

And of course there's honey, which its main uses have historically been as a sweetener and for mead. Not to mention other uses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey#In_history.2C_culture.2C_and_folklore

EDIT: And of couse the OP mentioning pollination, which could be used to create longer seasons or more bountiful harvests (greater ql and volume?) for fruit trees, bushes and certain fields within a specific radius of the hives?

Radius dependent on hive ql and colony size/quality?

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1