Sign in to follow this  
Griffith

tree growth

could tree growth be made faster? at least pines. pines are supposed to

be the fastest growing tree but they take around 2 months to reach overaged.

i can understand longer timers with willow and oak and using the fo priest on those

if you want quality wood tools etc, but pines or birchwood shouldnt be this slow

in my opinion.

what happens is people like me will need to go out in the open and clearcut open areas

and make them barren and look ugly, or make a few people angry at me for

disrupting their surroundings.

theres the option of picking sprouts and replanting them too, but theres only so many hours

in the day to do stuff.

ty

also i dont see why they need to go shriveled and die and recycle, more timer resources in use that way.

just make them stop at overaged until cut down or pruned. 

Why not replant? Although i do agree that ether faster growth or another more feasible way to gain WC would be handy (kindlings can only take one so far). Its really bad, i hate grinding WC exactly because either i have to wait a while to get enough sprouts to replant the clearcut i'll make, or i'll just make a desert which will piss off someone (namely me)... Minning gets thousands of actions on a single vein, and yet we have a dozen per tree, and its not like the skill gains are that much better.

it takes about 10 days for birch or pine to grow to old,seems fast enough for me,

• Like 2

btw fo priest can grow 81 trees at a time if lucky cast =] u can literally grow 81 trees to overaged in a a few... *coughs* 16 spells? and using a 1ql coc hatchet.... yea... take u a while to cut 81 down... BTW u get sprouts from each cast... HUNDREDS of sprouts... now go plant those all over the desert and then guess what a few more casts and u can do it again... ONE fo priest can repopulate a HUGE area with trees... ive done this personally its not hard. =] also cut trees in checkerboard patterns and yes its not 2 months =] more like 2 weeks =] and i like shrivelled trees =] 

-1 they respawn like crazy and they grow fast enuf, also get 30 forestry, a skill u really need and solves all ur problems.

If everyone had 30 forestry noone ever had to replant sprouts anymore.

Forestry: 34.98675

you dislike my opinion i accept that, everything else is just uncalled for.

I prefer open ground over trees.

(and I was actually very dissapointed when I learned that trees naturally respawned in barren areas.)

This is pretty much what it looked like in a 1-200 tile radius untill we learned that...

wurm.20120424.2239_1.png

Edited by Zekezor

I don't get the point of the shriveled stage. Its a waste of time and the tree just grows back in the same spot. Why not have sprouts pop up at sometime during the harvest seasons like fruit trees. Maybe more frequently since trees sprouts are more useful then fruit trees.

Adding that I think trees should stop at overage or don't go to shriveled for a very very long time. Maybe a real life year or something. You can still prune to make younger and the idea at the top was to compensate for trees not going though life stages anymore.

Edited by Lupe

-1 to faster growth

as shipbuilder I need quite a lot of wood, but 20x20 forest is more than enough for me and probably 5 more hungry carpenters

and you know, you do not need to kill simple tree to grind WC? 16 actions on overaged tree will bring it to 96 DMG, then prune it back to very old and wait few days/weeks to return to overaged, while all DMG will be diminished ... just knowledge, right tool and bit of patience is all you need (in 85 WC I have 0.005-0.015 from each tree this way)

Definitely not, ive never in my life seen a tree grow to "old" in weeks, let alone months.

If you are running out of wood, you need a more sustainable pattern and usage, all part of sandbox fun. 

"If you find your carpets are always damp, it's time to move further from the river, and not an indicator that the river needs moving"

• Like 1

what happens is people like me will need to go out in the open and clearcut open areas

and make them barren and look ugly, or make a few people angry at me for

disrupting their surroundings.

theres the option of picking sprouts and replanting them too, but theres only so many hours

in the day to do stuff.

ty

As for that...

That is a poor poor excuse. If you are grinding or doing something that needs wood, then you just simply need to make time to replant after each cutting down, which will cost you seconds, which is nothing compared to the time it takes to cut down. At the same time you will be getting forestry/nature/gardening skills too.

If you need help with this, I am sure there are some who can help. I manage large forests for this sole purpose, I let folks in for a few coppers, and they can pillage it, then I go back and replant for the next wave. But please don't ask to adapt the game to your specific needs...

-1 for the whole suggestion, but maybe there could be watering option possible every 18-24 hours which boosts tree growth significally.

also i dont see why they need to go shriveled and die and recycle, more timer resources in use that way.

just make them stop at overaged until cut down or pruned.

All servers would fill with overraged trees only in few months.

• Like 2

Being a  lover of trees within Wurm (yes, I hug them) tree growth seems fine to me. The problem I see is with others who cut them down and don't bother to replant them. For woodcutting skilling it is even quite easy to make tree farms within enclosed perimeters, pick sprouts from them frequently, then clear cut the whole area of old, very old, overaged and immediately replant them.

Another great feature of Wurm trees is their recycling growth pattern. By paying attention and cutting at the proper growth stages this allows forests to regenerate and easily be replanted as harvested. Senseless clear cutting combined with no replanting is the culprit here which coding can't fix, since it is a problem with the individual not the game process.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

-1. Every time a tree with a sprout grows an age, the sprout is automatically planted somewhere nearby. As someone who picks sprouts to avoid trees selfseeding, and  who has to cut down any unwanted trees in specific areas (that I don't want trees in) when I miss a sprout, I most certainly would not appreciate a faster growth cycle.

And I got to 90 WC with a relatively small tree farm, but of course I did spend the time to replant after each woodcutting session. (And to be fair, I did use a second farm + community projects whenever I got extra SB from RoS or Rolf's crash compensations).

If you can't be bothered with replanting the trees you cut down, and you anger people when you clearcut an area, may I suggest that you simply offer to clearcut for those who WANT the trees gone? There is usually plenty of places where fruitrees and/or bushes have taken over, where people would welcome your assistance.

• Like 1

Oh please, i cut down all the trees on an island, and within 2 weeks it was heavily forrested again just from leaving a couple sprouts in the ground at strategic locations.

How about make each log smaller in weight, thus giving more actions to chop up and entire felled tree? This would help with skill gain, although I still think it would be slower than mining and digging. Possibly give a wider difficulty range based on ql of hatchet where using a 1ql hatchet is the same difficulty as mining a marble vein and using 70ql would be like mining rock, with 70+ being easier. Mining and digging both have much more resources to grind on and a range of difficulties to increase gain at higher levels (tar is highest for digging, marble and gold for mining). Currently, all trees have the same difficulty and a horrible resource cap.

How about make each log smaller in weight, thus giving more actions to chop up and entire felled tree? This would help with skill gain, although I still think it would be slower than mining and digging. Possibly give a wider difficulty range based on ql of hatchet where using a 1ql hatchet is the same difficulty as mining a marble vein and using 70ql would be like mining rock, with 70+ being easier. Mining and digging both have much more resources to grind on and a range of difficulties to increase gain at higher levels (tar is highest for digging, marble and gold for mining). Currently, all trees have the same difficulty and a horrible resource cap.

Crafting of many items is bound to log weight, so changing it would require a lot of another small changes.

Actually I will disagree with the statement that trees regrow from deforested areas "extremely fast", or otherwise like minded adverbs. They only seem so to those who don't want any trees within certain areas around them. A poor excuse used by those who lack the concern to replant areas after they have cut one or a number of them down.

I have replanted many thousands of trees and shrubs on public accessible areas and they are certainly not regrowing there quickly without my help. More to the contrary, they are rarely replanted by anyone else. Without likeminded individuals large areas would remain sparsely forested for long periods of time, as the sporadic sprouts eventually pop up here and there.

I am not advocating for faster growth but for the nonsense to stop to suggest that trees are rapidly respawning under the current conditions. With other concerned players replanting trees as they are cut down the system functions well enough as it is, because of them of course.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

The reason for this is that people want them at overaged for best woodcutting gain. Maybe have special hidden areas (much like tower influence increase areas) that have special tree growth buffs. Maybe they can grow to overaged in a week or something. I know Epic has a fetish for woodcutting because it is the only way to get stamina, so how about we give this buff to battlecamps? Maybe some PvP will happen on Elevation... OK probably not, but I tried.