Sign in to follow this  
Stormi

So Microsoft bought Minecraft

I played Ultima Online myself for many years back in its earlier time. I many times catch reflections of it within Wurm, positive ones which bring back fond memories of those times spent long ago within it. Its runebook travel system sure beats the heck out of Wurm's snail paced long distance travel options though.

=Ayes=

and what about fishing, taming and training animals ?

I still miss UO

• Like 1

Probably my fondest memories goes to some awesome MUDs and then UO offering a graphical take on online gaming. There were some sort of graphical MUDs like circle but they never came close to the polish UO offered, even at the start.

• Like 1

MICROSOFT SHUT DOWN BUKKIT!

Expect less modded servers.. Sucks.

bukkit was the best ;(

one guy once made me a plugin that counted placed + destroyed blocks. For example 'Caveman has destroyed 50.000blocks!'

as long as Wurm doesn't sell out to a corporation like that, I will play...minecraft sucks anyways.

I don't even have to look at other game forums to know this is a pretty hot topic :P

That ammount of money is always a hot topic, I heard people comment about it in RL, and outside the specific gaming enviroment.

Games are the new hollywood.

Three points I carved up from the Minecraft phenomenon.

1) Notch and luck made a game loved by many and he ended up with a good amount of money. Many attributes contributed to this, among them luck which played a crucial part in Minecraft's success. In a parallel universe we might, right now, be talking about Rolf's Wurm purchase by Microsoft and people in Minecraft forums shoving it on Notch's face with quotes like "If your game didn't look like shitty lego blocks and had real graphics it would have succeeded too".

2) Anyone can make it. Notch was not born a genious. He was/is not the greatest programmer, enterpreneur or manager. Don't let limiting beliefs and social creepers, define who you are and tell you what you can't achieve. Take control of your life and rise from the asses as many times as it takes to fullfill the goals set by you and not by others.

3) Innovating means doing things different not evolving what others already made. Someone once told me that we are born in this world without any experiences and we gain them as we grow older. To counter that, we are born with a powerful weapon. It's called imagination. Progressivelly as we gain experience, imagination gets into a state of atrophy. Back in the days, every gaming expert, would say that Minecraft would be a terrible risk, a game doomed to fail before it gets born. But it didn't. What is perceived as the status quo is not the only way one can follow. See where the road leads, take a steep turn , go off road and create your own trail.

Have a good night, dream big, implement bigger.

Edited by Issle
  • Like 2

Notch created it and he can do whatever he wants with it.

Had plenty of years of enjoyment from the game with Notch involved, so far more than the initial four dollars worth.

Granted it remains to be seen what Microsoft will do with it; however, Im not particularly worried... even worst case scenario if they go all "evil empire" on it, there's plenty of other games calling for my time.

EDIT: Never liked paying for vanilla/modded servers for ANY game anyways, besides helping with costs of course.

Edited by Klaa

I can work as a Tower Guard at Notch Island, if someone build the Tower.

And just like in real life, u must type /help for me to actually do anything besides sitting on a chair.

Yeah sad, played wurm back when Notch was part of it. Things do what they do, and go their ways, and I am happy to playing wurm and not minecraft, I am happy with the way things are being done, and maybe being part of it for such a long time (back when my character looked like a lego man sliding over the floor) makes it nostalgic. I hope Markus is happy and can find what he wants, he seems to have problems deciding where he wants to be. In the end, I am sort of a Rolf fan, with all due respect to all the wurm devs, he follows his passions in it.

Hope MS won't mess it up for the folks who like minecraft.

[14:45:01] The Young Notchhappy is already well tended.

[14:45:03] A foal skips around here merrily.

[14:45:03] It can carry more than average. It is unusually strong willed. It has some illness.

10613164_10204207619966545_1309984629806

[14:45:01] The Young Notchhappy is already well tended.

[14:45:03] A foal skips around here merrily.

[14:45:03] It can carry more than average. It is unusually strong willed. It has some illness.

• Like 1

Doubt he would be interested. Surely, Notch is sitting pretty in sun tan city with a cold one in his hand.

Well looks like Notch is spending the money wisely this was on his twitter today..

Candy anyone? 

https://twitter.com/notch/status/545729155359207426/photo/1

Edit: Well looks like it was a much larger purchase than i had first thought..

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2014/12/18/7418397/notch-just-bought-the-craziest-megamansion-ever

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1