Sign in to follow this  
Stormi

So Microsoft bought Minecraft

Well Rolf never was part of minecraft so i don't think he will hold anything against Notch for succeeding in life. As far as minecraft goes as long as they don't copyright the minecraft content on YouTube then i am fine with it i don't play it anymore only watch it. 

Edit: Also here is a letter Notch wrote..

I'm leaving Mojang

I don’t see myself as a real game developer. I make games because it’s fun, and because I love games and I love to program, but I don’t make games with the intention of them becoming huge hits, and I don’t try to change the world. Minecraft certainly became a huge hit, and people are telling me it’s changed games. I never meant for it to do either. It’s certainly flattering, and to gradually get thrust into some kind of public spotlight is interesting.

A relatively long time ago, I decided to step down from Minecraft development. Jens was the perfect person to take over leading it, and I wanted to try to do new things. At first, I failed by trying to make something big again, but since I decided to just stick to small prototypes and interesting challenges, I’ve had so much fun with work. I wasn’t exactly sure how I fit into Mojang where people did actual work, but since people said I was important for the culture, I stayed.

I was at home with a bad cold a couple of weeks ago when the internet exploded with hate against me over some kind of EULA situation that I had nothing to do with. I was confused. I didn’t understand. I tweeted this in frustration. Later on, I watched the This is Phil Fish video on YouTube and started to realize I didn’t have the connection to my fans I thought I had. I’ve become a symbol. I don’t want to be a symbol, responsible for something huge that I don’t understand, that I don’t want to work on, that keeps coming back to me. I’m not an entrepreneur. I’m not a CEO. I’m a nerdy computer programmer who likes to have opinions on Twitter.

As soon as this deal is finalized, I will leave Mojang and go back to doing Ludum Dares and small web experiments. If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, I’ll probably abandon it immediately.

Considering the public image of me already is a bit skewed, I don’t expect to get away from negative comments by doing this, but at least now I won’t feel a responsibility to read them.

I’m aware this goes against a lot of what I’ve said in public. I have no good response to that. I’m also aware a lot of you were using me as a symbol of some perceived struggle. I’m not. I’m a person, and I’m right there struggling with you.

I love you. All of you. Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can’t be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, it’s belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change.

It’s not about the money. It’s about my sanity.

http://pastebin.com/n1qTeikM'

Edited by Kegan

dnnumr.gif

Welp I was there when it was on Alpha, I was there when the PvP servers died and new ones got full of 12yo, I was there when I quit playing.

Will be interesting see how things develops from here on, it reminds me in some strange way of Maxis and Sims and Will Wright. But in a even sadder way.

Edit: Thou I'm still very angry about EA did with Spore.

Edited by Alec
  • Like 1

why would he?

To remove dragons :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

• Like 6

I bet u if Notch comes back to wurm, there will be such hugh Twitter and Reddit and News about it, that the wurm servers would crash with the amount of new account players joining.

Arkhir: it's nothing personal just business.

• Like 1

I honestly didn't think this would happen. That is a crazy sum of money too wow :P

• Like 1

Should make him a pitch to come back if he wants to work on something that doesn't gain traction. 2.5 billion heh....

As a big supporter of indie games movement and aspiring dev myself... I am sad that this happened. Game which popularized the whole movement, shown that it is possible to make really popular, multiplatform product and inspired many other independent gamedevs is now owned by a big company which was almost always against anything independent/cross-platform. This is at least ironic.

• Like 1

Saw it coming for a long time, didn't expect it to be Microsoft though, nor for 2.5 billion....god!

Overall it was a great game, a great community (ignoring the immature) and got inspiration flowing! Minecraft really did change a lot in the real world. Heck , some schools teach kids using minecraft!

Will be interesting to see how this goes now.

I also wonder what those three will be up to, Notch wouldn't return to wurm, ever in my opinion. But I can see him making other small-scale games.

Thank the Wurm gods that Notch decided to leave Wurm Online back in 2007 and sever his ties from it. To even consider that Wurm would have evolved into something similar to Minecraft had he remained here makes me shudder and shake my head at the dancing crude blocky graphics that the 100's of thousands of people spend their time fiddling around with.

Now 10 years later Wurm has gotten along very fine without him and Rolf has been the one that has enabled it to survive and gradually progress throughout these passing years. As I see it there is no comparison between the childlike graphics of Minecraft and the evolved beautifully detailed graphics of Wurm. That the financial success of Minecraft has been built on these crude graphic images, just reflects the visual acceptance of those masses who embrace it for its lego quick building diversions.

Financial success is one thing but creating and sustaining an online game of beauty, an evolving environment and functioning skills that contribute to what can be created within it is a totally different matter. In this way Wurm surpasses Minecraft in every way imaginable. It seems that even Notch had realized this and moved on to other ventures before this deal was even struck. There he leaves his Frankenstein creation for others to now bend to their own will in the pursuit of conglomerate riches.

With all its charming flaws Wurm continues to move onward with a somewhat more encouraging and assured step into the future. Who knows what paths will continue to unfold here but don't forget the one god of Wurm (Rolf) that has sustained it throughout this time after the other had departed. Perhaps it would seem that I am a cheerleader for our fond game but the comparison to that other just leaves me shaking my head in a flabbergasted juxtaposition of a lack of visual discernment and integrated function.

Good for Notch if he gets his cut out of the sale of this game that he perhaps created with children in mind. Now doubt the money will enable him to find more enjoyable pursuits in his future years ahead. Hopefully this time he will create something that remotely resembles Wurm in the beauty and function of its worlds; but as long as Wurm survives and continues to expand in its creative potential offered to its participants, that will be no concern of mine.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 6

Beautifully written Ayes, I couldn't have put it better myself. As cool as I think it is that a game such as Minecraft hit it big (hey I'm an old school pixel artist!) and as happy as I am for Notch and the mark he's made on the Nordic game development map, I too am hugely relieved that he went off to do his own thing instead of turning Wurm into Minecraft. My sons played it for about a month, but I couldn't bear more than 30 minutes myself. Wurm however has me utterly engrossed and immersed, flaws and all. And this is coming from a battle worn MMO "veteran" who has played and at least tried pretty much all of them, spanning over 15 years of MMO play. Wurm really has captured my heart like no other (well except maybe UO).

Thank the Wurm gods...

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Edited by Malena
  • Like 1

I think the moral of this story is simple. If you can find a way to leave Wurm you become a billionaire.

• Like 19

I expect to see Minecraft listed on the abandonware sites in a few years.

If money is a determinant of success then sure, notch is more successful than rolf, but for me personally wurm has captured my interest for well over 8 to 9 years, and minecraft hasn't even come close to grabbing as much interest as wurm has for me and I doubt I haven't clocked over 5500 in any other game... So he's successful in my eyes.

• Like 4

I expect to see Minecraft listed on the abandonware sites in a few years.

Highly doubtful....

now microsoft should start making a minecraft 2 with a improved 3D chunking engine and better physics, cool modding API, and various other stuff revolving around the multiplayer, sell it at a 20-30usd upgrade and bam watch teh money start coming in

when a game gets as popular as minecraft people start to want to throw money at it

they just gotta not do anything dumb like having to pay for every update, 20$ DLC every other week and they have to especially let the youtube and modding people just continue to do their thing

If money is a determinant of success then sure, notch is more successful than rolf, but for me personally wurm has captured my interest for well over 8 to 9 years, and minecraft hasn't even come close to grabbing as much interest as wurm has for me and I doubt I haven't clocked over 5500 in any other game... So he's successful in my eyes.

yea, wurm is really only appealing to a certain kinda person, so its not a popular widespread game, but there are so many players in this smaller playerbase that have played for 5 years plus

even though i'm (currently) not playing, i know that im much much more than likely to, at some point, come back

the only other games that i have even close to the same playtime on are fallout 2 and 3, and cod4

Edited by WhyThatPost
  • Like 1

In a world where Bill Gates starts wonder where all the Minecraft Quest NPC is in the game, as he saw in The Shadow of Israphel youtube series.

Wurm really has captured my heart like no other (well except maybe UO).

• Like 1