Sign in to follow this  
Yamuliss

Idea to change servers and skill gain

Problem with Xanadu is lag, lag and a lack of mobs. Problem with the other servers everyone left to check out Xanadu for the most part. The over all challenge is down on xanadu because the lack of mobs! The ingame economy is starting to fall. What did bring higher prices on the auction now brings in far less. It occurred to me and some others, There is almost 6 empty servers, yes there is players but how many are just alts of those on xanadu, Most people are on Xanadu and the rest are on Chaos, Epic. Why not make the servers to be based on skill cap. Example below;

Xanadu- New Players or new Alts would start on Xanadu. You couldn't gain skill past 20 on everything. You want to go past that you would have to leave for the next server to gain skill.

So you go to the next server ____ There you gain skill from 20-30 capped on everything so on and so on.

Last server to gain skill would be chaos where you see your 90 Skilled players at. This wouldn't stop highly skilled players traveling to sell merchandise to the lower skilled servers. In fact it would help greatly with the in game economy.

It would reduce lag and spread evenly for the most part the players across all the servers.

The chief complaint would be those that don't want to live on a server where they cant gain skill. That not such a bad thing as well. That gives finished deeds a worth again in the game. because as players move about they don't wanna start all over again so they will look towards buying a already finished or partly finished deed. Or perhaps a player may want several deeds spread across each server. That to not such a bad thing its an increase in revenue to the game of which id think Devs and Rolf would raise an eye to. Id also suggest lowering the upkeep cost of deeds per server type. Basically the 20 skill cap server would be far less expensive to have a deed on then say chaos. The risk of course would go up on each server as it should.

If one looks at this and really looks at it good, it solves many issues. It brings more players to chaos at higher skill. It doesn't limit a player to travel across servers at any skill just limits where they can gain skill at. It will increase shipping and the in game mail system. I suspect it would generate more revenue for the game as a whole. Highly skilled players would once again find high demand for the goods they produce in a much larger demand but it would require delivery time for some those that cant be shipped. It would change in game prices greatly and much more stuff would be in high demand. It's just an idea feel free to comment +1 or -1 or say it's horrible.

hell no. theres different maps for different places to live and Indy is far from dead, still holds a healthy pop. Also chaos is pvp, we are on non pvp maps for a reason. Your idea not only kills wats left of the econ, but itll ###### wats left of the population. If rolf wanted to go bankrupt, your idea would work flawlessly. so    -1

• Like 1

hell no. theres different maps for different places to live and Indy is far from dead, still holds a healthy pop. Also chaos is pvp, we are on non pvp maps for a reason. Your idea not only kills wats left of the econ, but itll ###### wats left of the population. If rolf wanted to go bankrupt, your idea would work flawlessly. so    -1

LOL

Grab a shield, you're gonna need it! :D

9oFAjxe.jpg

Edited by Sharkin
  • Like 2

eh..

i am on Deliverance because i like the server, forcing me to gain skill on another server is just stupid.

So, because I have every skill to 90.....i'm going to be forced to move to chaos?

Well, You may want to talk to chaos about that, because I'd be taking my anger out on them....And there won't be much left to pick for the other people behind me.

So, because I have every skill to 90.....i'm going to be forced to move to chaos?

Well, You may want to talk to chaos about that, because I'd be taking my anger out on them....And there won't be much left to pick for the other people behind me.

You wouldn't be forced to leave no one would you just couldn't gain skill after your cap was reached on the server you was on. All it's really doing is forcing people to travel more throughout the severs. I wouldn't worry to much such an idea as this one will more then likely not happen anyways.

-1 or is this just a really bad joke?

Edited by Raykow

Terrible idea, and one that is guaranteed to force the more loyal players to quit  -1

• Like 1

-1. But there is nothing stopping you form skill capping yourself and travel from server to server to grind your skills. Happy travels and the best of luck to you.

• Like 1

Ok so my idea a bad idea from what so far the majority of you have commented to. But Ive not heard any of your ideas as to what is a better solution for the current situation? What i said about Xanadu and the other servers is correct for the most part. Same with the lag and the lack of mobs on Xanadu. So you tell me if my idea a bad idea give your idea as to what you think should be done.

On a  second note, the idea of skill gain cap not liked by most but the idea of spreading players out so lag not an issue i think would be up for debate. The idea really was to spread players out. If not by skill gain then we could look at resource base. Wouldn't that influx trade? Imagine only certain servers having certain resources. That give a whole new meaning to Transmutation wands and cross server trade. Just ideas yours is welcomed so please post. :)

Edited by Yamuliss

Ok so my idea a bad idea from what so far the majority of you have commented to. But Ive not heard any of your ideas as to what is a better solution for the current situation? What i said about Xanadu and the other servers is correct for the most part. Same with the lag and the lack of mobs on Xanadu. So you tell me if my idea a bad idea give your idea as to what you think should be done.

On a  second note, the idea of skill gain cap not liked by most but the idea of spreading players out so lag not an issue i think would be up for debate. The idea really was to spread players out. If not by skill gain then we could look at resource base. Wouldn't that influx trade? Imagine only certain servers having certain resources. That give a whole new meaning to Transmutation wands and cross server trade. Just ideas yours is welcomed so please post. :)

Edited by Raykow

Since you asked for some ideas here are a few. Fyi. I live on Xan and I enjoy it greatly.

1) Lag no comment since the amount of lag I experience is the same amount of lag that I have always had no matter what server I've lived on.

2) Lack of mob there is that in areas of Xan but I enjoy sailing so I pop over to another server for a nice hunting trip. And a hunting trip changes up game play for me. Plus a lot of people have been wanting hunting servers and with less people on the other servers the hunting is better there so we kind of have hunting servers now.

3) Economy well that is a deep subject that a lot of people flame. Imo as with any small player base there will be times were the economy will go flat, as people skills get higher they buy less and less unless it's enchanted or bulk items. And for the items people are buying they will stick with merchants that offer not only the best price but customer service and kindness. Skill capping and making players move is not the answer increasing the player base is.

4) Empty servers. Imo the best way to help solve that is to invite people that you know to come and give wurm a try. And do your best to give them a super experience so they will stay and in turn invite the people they know to give wurm a try.

5) Imo the best thing is to not stress over things and play wurm to have fun and enjoy yourself in this type of game play.

"lack of mobs" I lol'd

there's plenty of mobs on Xanadu

this would be like reverting to pre-Freedom servers except much more restricted.

• Like 1

Perhaps the absolute worst idea I have ever read on these forums.

1. Upset the entirety of the existing player base.
  2. <insert leap of logic here>
  3. Fixes every problem with Wurm with no downsides!

An orginal and unexpected idea, an overall nice read, but sorry to say, extremly stupid :P 

• Like 1

Let's make more windows of opportunity for skillgain, if we can?

Make new players look really stupid and look up towards the veterans in terms of skill, produce and service?

Force a new player to build and command a rowboat to sail from somewhere on Xanadu to another server, abandoning all he has built up to that point so far?

Import the best feature from themepark MMOs (level zones) into the sandbox model?

Answer yes to any of the above questions then please abstain from the suggestions sub-forum (just teasing! :P)

no worries, we are already skilling past 90 remember!  ;) plus we are used to angry newcomers with fresh affinities energy

Problem with Xanadu is lag, lag and a lack of mobs. Problem with the other servers everyone left to check out Xanadu for the most part. The over all challenge is down on xanadu because the lack of mobs! The ingame economy is starting to fall. What did bring higher prices on the auction now brings in far less. It occurred to me and some others, There is almost 6 empty servers, yes there is players but how many are just alts of those on xanadu, Most people are on Xanadu and the rest are on Chaos, Epic. Why not make the servers to be based on skill cap. Example below;

Xanadu- New Players or new Alts would start on Xanadu. You couldn't gain skill past 20 on everything. You want to go past that you would have to leave for the next server to gain skill.

So you go to the next server ____ There you gain skill from 20-30 capped on everything so on and so on.

Last server to gain skill would be chaos where you see your 90 Skilled players at. This wouldn't stop highly skilled players traveling to sell merchandise to the lower skilled servers. In fact it would help greatly with the in game economy.

It would reduce lag and spread evenly for the most part the players across all the servers.

The chief complaint would be those that don't want to live on a server where they cant gain skill. That not such a bad thing as well. That gives finished deeds a worth again in the game. because as players move about they don't wanna start all over again so they will look towards buying a already finished or partly finished deed. Or perhaps a player may want several deeds spread across each server. That to not such a bad thing its an increase in revenue to the game of which id think Devs and Rolf would raise an eye to. Id also suggest lowering the upkeep cost of deeds per server type. Basically the 20 skill cap server would be far less expensive to have a deed on then say chaos. The risk of course would go up on each server as it should.

If one looks at this and really looks at it good, it solves many issues. It brings more players to chaos at higher skill. It doesn't limit a player to travel across servers at any skill just limits where they can gain skill at. It will increase shipping and the in game mail system. I suspect it would generate more revenue for the game as a whole. Highly skilled players would once again find high demand for the goods they produce in a much larger demand but it would require delivery time for some those that cant be shipped. It would change in game prices greatly and much more stuff would be in high demand. It's just an idea feel free to comment +1 or -1 or say it's horrible.

Edited by geode

There's a good reason why this has never been suggested before...

it's got more holes than a teabag.

my initial thought is ...oh I'm level 70-80 fighter. so I go on ...say... 'Server 7' ..but wait, my platesmithing is 15 ...oh, I should be on 'Server 1'!

...or do I stay on #7 and end up with a mixed skill community, which no... wait for it... it's what we have now!

-1 for the idea, ...and the sarcasm is free :)

-1 Just had to use Protunia's trademark for this one. This is the worst idea I've ever heard for Wurm.  Not even going to discuss how many reasons this would be a disaster.

• Like 1