Sign in to follow this  
koroth

Nautical Compass

have an Idea about getting a Nautical compass, one that will operate continuously only while in a boat or ship. This could help out Sailors especially when dealing with night and foggy conditions while sailing. Any thoughts?

• Like 21

+1 for this idea.  :)  What liquid could make it more responsive?

Why not somehow do a sextant or an astroglobe with the concept of dead reckoning.

Start with a "navigation fix" skill that shows your ships position on the in game map. As your skill improves the speed and accuracy of the position improves. Maybe this is an extension of your idea into a second device.

I do like the basic idea of a naval compass for dead reckoning.

• Like 3

+1

Maybe make it attachable to the ship like a lock or anchor and it shows up when you board the ship?

• Like 5

Why not somehow do a sextant or an astroglobe with the concept of dead reckoning.

Start with a "navigation fix" skill that shows your ships position on the in game map. As your skill improves the speed and accuracy of the position improves. Maybe this is an extension of your idea into a second device.

I do like the basic idea of a naval compass for dead reckoning.

No to any kind of showing your placement on the map.

• Like 3

I dunno, Shrimpiie. Not a minimap or a dot on the main map but by the technological level we enjoy in Wurm, finding your lat/lon was possible. It wasn't GPS but you could kind of know where you were. Of course, you would need a skill for it. Using a sextant probably wasn't something farmer bob could do right of the wooden crate from the UPS cart and it took training and lots of practice. Then using your brain and your map to match landmarks or notes, you could generalize your location. I wouldn't say return a decimal precision but within a grid of where you are. Ballpark. Just make that park rather large. Nothing pinpoint.

• Like 1

+1

Makes sense.

Give me one valid reason why. In terms of game-play. I don't give a peep about your opinions or what you think survival means.

• Like 1

+1 , disembarking just to use my compass is annoying because of that swishing sound that stays with you when you board a ship while swimming.

+1, so much.  Why do I have to drop an anchor to get a compass reading while I'm stationary on a ship?

+1

attached maybe the same way as mooring anchors

Could even become the beginning for a whole array of "upgrades" for boats, like onboard forges, and other crafting stations, flags, etc.

• Like 2

+1

Makes sense.

Give me one valid reason why. In terms of game-play. I don't give a peep about your opinions or what you think survival means.

If you're going to be like that, then I'm not required to justify my opinions to you.

If you're going to be like that, then I'm not required to justify my opinions to you.

Showing up on a map with a red blinking dot? Absolutely not for what should be obvious reasons.

At any rate there's plenty of tools and techniques to draw from that our ancestors used in these situations.

Edited by Klaa

I thought we were about improvements for the game. Not biased opinions on what we individually prefer or not. Me, as a player take these suggestions as that. Not what i would prefer (and yeah i sometimes +1 stuff that i would rather not have, but i can see the game being improved from those).

So yeah, i don't care about your opinion if its based on personal bias and not fundamented on if it improves the game or not, and as someone with a pretty green badge below your shirmp, you should maybe care to shift your personal bias a bit toward what makes the game better, and more attractive to a wider audience, not how to maintain the crap status quo.

My pretty green badge has nothing to do with me being able to post my opinion into what direction the game takes with its changes. I'm entitled to it just as much as you, I don't claim my opinion on this suggestion is correct, and you presenting your opinions as if they are fact and correct is just naive. 99% of what people post in regards to suggestions are fueled by basically bias, because what they think is best for the game is also infused with what they want from the game. This doesn't make their opinion wrong, it just makes it different than someone else.  Now, if you want to continue this pointless argument you can PM me instead of us derailing this thread any more.

• Like 10

KanePT: if you don't care about other people's opinions. they won't care about yours either.

+1 for boat compasses.

• Like 1

+1

As for sextant and watch (or small sundial), could be similar to prospecting based on mind logic level.

Basic 23 ML, you know you're in "C on the map" 

30some ML, you're "North half of C" ... 50 ML you're "on the second/first north/southernmost part of C" 

(Pitchfork and torch all you want, I can find my way around through dead reckoning, map, and mountains.. in fog .. well, you may see me AFK if it's excessively dense but that's only if it's in a twisty part of the road)

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 1