Sign in to follow this  
SotG_is_OP

Archery Changes

So aside from the changes that we all hate that went live, archery still is a broken mechanic. I have taken what people have said and my own opinion to suggest changes outside those that have already made it into the game (which should be reverted).

People mentioned "exploiting" archery skill. This has been done in many ways that may or may not technically exploiting, such as shooting alts, shooting saddled horses (w/ healers and Fo priests), leading horses, and others. This is in response to the change that made animals have some kind of AI and run when you shoot them. This is frustrating because creatures run away with your arrows, and some strong creatures tend to run directly away and out of archery (and local) range. Arrow loss is a huge downer to PvP, and is one reason that archery skillgain does not need a nerf.

To counteract arrow loss, thus making legitimate hunting more attractive, I suggest the following:

> All arrows land in the target corpse, regardless of hit, miss, glance, etc.

> If you pass by an arrow on the ground, you should automatically pick it up without player input (possibly a client setting - on/off).

> Animals should not move around when they get shot. They don't move when I engage them in melee, they shouldn't run away full of arrows. Also, remove the stupid fleeing mechanics for deer.

> Allow archery skill gain for targets across fences and through windows, as well as from different stories or from boats as long as the target is outside the optimal range for the bow being used (5 tiles for shortbow, 10 for medium, 20 for long). Justification: a lot of creatures can swim, so boat restriction isn't necessary. Optimal range reduces situations where pens would be useful. Above all, the feeling of power is fun for many players.

> Increase the creature count on Chaos and Xanadu. Chaos is 4 times the size of Exodus and should have 4 times the creature cap. Xanadu is 16 times the size of Exodus and should have 4 times the creature cap. Also consider increasing the cap on PvP servers overall above the current values.

This will hopefully make training archery the legitimate way more attractive and more fun.

• Like 1

Seam's reasonable, anything is better than the current mechanic

+1

• Like 1

I think the flee mechanics add quite a bit to the game. But you should be able to sneak up on animals and have that first shot count.

I think the flee mechanics add quite a bit to the game. But you should be able to sneak up on animals and have that first shot count.

I'm assuming you play on Freedom? Archery is just for fun there, and AI was added because Freedom wanted it. If we could get a code split, then I would agree to letting it be Freedom only. However, PvPers need high archery, and this AI just makes it annoying, thus promoting alt abusing.

We could keep it if a single arrow to the head could one hit kill a mob, but that would be game breaking with pets in PvP (and might get bugged and affect players too).

I'm assuming you play on Freedom? Archery is just for fun there, and AI was added because Freedom wanted it. If we could get a code split, then I would agree to letting it be Freedom only. However, PvPers need high archery, and this AI just makes it annoying, thus promoting alt abusing.

We could keep it if a single arrow to the head could one hit kill a mob, but that would be game breaking with pets in PvP (and might get bugged and affect players too).

Afaik AI was not added because Freedom wanted it, in fact there was a wave of rage in forums with all stuff concerning AI or prey vs predator behavior.

Personally such AI would have been fine as long as there wasnt significant server overhead produced, or rather without the resources to render such additional overhead mute in terms of gameplay.

Not to mention other possible shortcuts such as severely limiting prey/predator populations.

I play exclusively on Freedom and I can say with certainty that I think the Predator vs Prey was one of the worst ideas put into Wurm in my time playing it. Of course, there are some who like that it made breeding harder, made your domesticateds trample your fields into packed expanses of worse than desert, and the critters that low skilled players can kill to grind up FS became the critters-that-kill-low-skilled-players main diet (dessert rather as noobie tastes great with cheese).

Edited by Audrel

Well, my fields are trampled less as animals move more, and I appreciate having some semblance of animals moving like animals, rather than 3d archery targets... But I can see how it causes some lag. (I haven't noticed a slowdown in my area) and how it can make skilling for newbs a little more difficult. So not sure the best answer.