Sign in to follow this  
Shrimpiie

9/11

It's not here in my time zone yet but on the Eastern Coast of the US it, and especially those that reside in New York City. I figured I'd post this before I went to bed.

I'd like to take a moment of silence to the nearly 3,000 Americans that perished at the hands of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

uwSE6wo.jpg

• Like 12

I was in new york 2weeks before it happened, was 7years old ._.

Bad moment in history

I remember watching the events unfold on TV during my Computer Programming class at High School. My Uncle had died just 4 days before it. Was a horrible year.

Hoping anyone that was affected by this tragedy is doing alright. Furthermore, I hope justice has found it's course for all those responsible and may it find those it hasn't yet.

Edited by Nomadikhan

That was a weird time in NYC. In the streets some people were crying, some went to bars and watched CNN, some people were taking pictures, many people were desperately trying to get their cell phones or  pay phones to work. (They had pay phones then).Some were just.."excited". A lot of people were just trying to get the hell out of the city. I guess society gets weird when something like that happens.  For me and the friends with me, we were just awed thinking "Holy ######, they just blew up the World Trade Center" It was a huge part of our landscape since I'd lived there.

We didn't know what to do that day. We just walked back home and stayed there. I felt lucky that day. The next day I felt sad. At the armory on (16th?) street, families started posting missing person flyers on the wall. It seemed like 100s the day after. and grew by the 100s every day.  That's when it hit, for me anyway, that people lost their dads, and mothers and wives and sons. The smell of the debris lasted months and months.

Edited by BrandonSF
  • Like 1

I have one of the weirdest story's on 9-11.

I was 8 at the time, homeschooled. I woke up a few hours ago and was eating breakfast and reading a new book I got about the greatest things in the world.

One of those were about huge buildings - the top one being the twin towers. I read about em for 2-3 minutes then went into my mothers room to show her, she was folding laundry at the time so I had to wait and sit on the bed, she had the tv on...

When she's done, she finally sits down to see what I'm reading and as we just get to the twin towers part, breaking news comes on, and the same buildings that had a picture in that book, were now on that tv, one with a plane in it.

The new few hours we just watched what was happening, I still remember my mom calling my father (who use to be a architect for Colosseum) if the tower would fall, he said it wasn't possible for it to, the way it was built, that there's be no way for it to fall. Not even 15 minutes later I believe is when the first fell....my father didn't believe it at first.

My father also came home early that day because of where he works, he has to go over one of the main bridges in our area, and would be a very good target if any more attacks came in are own area, he also had to call a lot of his brothers and sisters to make sure they were all ok.

Definitely not a day I'll ever forget, I had no personal losses, but it was the first time I ever saw something done like that. And to watch two towers fall that I had just learned about, and really wondered at the time how such a thing was possible, just be destroyed... It was a moment you just can't forget.

Edited by Druidnature

I do agree with the moment of silence for the 3,000 innocent people that died on that terrible terrorist act. May they rest in peace.

But at the same time, I want to propose another moment of silence for the tenths if not hundreds of thousands of also innocent people that died in the wars that followed in Afghanistan (and not only) in the which-hunt for terrorists. The 9/11 was just the top of the Iceberg, many more people died in the events that resulted from that moment.

• Like 4

I do agree with the moment of silence for the 3,000 innocent people that died on that terrible terrorist act. May they rest in peace.

But at the same time, I want to propose another moment of silence for the tenths if not hundreds of thousands of also innocent people that died in the wars that followed in Afghanistan (and not only) in the which-hunt for terrorists. The 9/11 was just the top of the Iceberg, many more people died in the events that resulted from that moment.

People tend to remember events that actually had a noticeable impact on them. While we could remember all victims of all wars, most people simply can't relate to them. In the past few years, supposedly about 250 000 people died in the Syrian civil war, but we don't exactly give the 50 000 or more civillian deaths a moment of silence either.

Regardless, these subjects should be treated in a respectful way, and we should not do this 'but what about' thing. It is good to remember these events that have had a big impact on you or your surroundings.

• Like 6

OP:  Permission to remember the victims, while debating the "terrorists" responsible for the attack.

Personally, i feel more for the victims, given they likely died at the hands of members of our government, though no debate that the pilots were radicals.

What a day it was!

I was at a store, it being around 3pm in our timezone. My son had picked his first uniform to play junior cricket in the local club. We stood at the cashier when i noticed the images on a tiny TV behind the counter, and after asking, was told that something is happening in New York.

We did watch events unfold for the rest of the day and well into the evening.

But this day had far reaching consequences for me personally. At the time i had been training dogs for may years for competitive purposes, but of late had gotten a little tired of the people ring side. Apart from the fact that my girl had figured out that i couldn't touch her while in the ring and just stuffed everything up. :angry:

I thought for about 2 weeks and decided to find people my dog and I could train with for disaster response. We joined a group, trained hard, she loved it and I had found a calling. She passed on during a deployment 7 years later. I often remember the events of that day, the people and the first responders that perished, and the dog teams that had a dreadful task.

OP:  Permission to remember the victims, while debating the "terrorists" responsible for the attack.

Personally, i feel more for the victims, given they likely died at the hands of members of our government, though no debate that the pilots were radicals.

Remember also that it was not just Americans though the majority were. Citizens of nearly every recognized nation in the world died in that event. It was a tragic event for all of us, for the entire world, and one from which the ripples still spread in the pond. When I remember that day and what I saw unfold on tv in front of me, I think not only of those lost but of those who remained with a huge part of their world torn away from them.

I see no need to belittle someone else's grief just because more people have died in the world. This thread was (as far as I know) started in memory of those that died in the 9/11 (11/9) incident, not to honour the people that kept killing afterwards. There is no need to partake in Lovefall's usual flame baiting.

• Like 3

I'm American so I worry and hope for my fellow Americans. Another country's issue isn't our issue. (Though our congress likes to think so most of the time.)

Thanks for making this thread, Shrimpiie.

• Like 3

There is no "debate." They died to Al Qaeda terrorists, get your facts right.

He is likely referring to the horrible lack of communication and terrible reaction time of the government. Although the government didn't actually "pull the trigger", they could have done a bit better with damage control.

With that said, rest in peace to the victims of 9/11. May we never forget, and a big thanks to our troops who risk their lives every day to prevent it from happening again, as well as to the first responders who dive head in to situations like these for the good of all.

• Like 1

The events that trigger 9/11 caused so much death, hate and pain than more to remember the victims of the terrorist attack we should be thinking about the people that right now are being affected thanks to this terrorist attack.

im tired of remembering 911 it was 13 years ago lets just stop please before it becomes a holiday sorry i even posted but still.

Edited by rare
  • Like 1

"Those that don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it"

Really? About the most disrespectful post I've ever seen, I expected a bit better. Have a little respect will you?

And, check your calendar again, it is classified as a national holiday.

Anyways, this thread has served its purpose so I will lock it now. Was meant to be a single-day tribute, and I should've locked it the day after.

• Like 1