Sign in to follow this  
trashmanguy

Life is Feudal: Your Own coming to steam!

To answer that Megan, I'd say inside (maybe) someday, however, the outside of the buildings I expect to look a lot better then (current) wurm buildings.

Though I WILL say, for now, the game is NOT for anyone not interested in pvp, I'm having fun playing as a "pve" atm, but only for a few minutes, not hours, and I honestly don't have much hope for them making any PVE-type things, as I rememeber them saying something about being PVP only focused, and not catering to the PVE crowd.

With that said though, a lot of people want PVE... A whole lot... So we may (that's a big may right now) see them change direction.

On another note, I've heard the community is "alright" at the moment, but... Has its bad apples, if you remember the list of who left here for LiF. I think you'll understand lol

Played LiF for a while, I got the computer to run it on low graphics with decent FPS and no troubles...

Just find a group on a high quality server. I came across a group on a 100x/3000 cap server... Even found a 'Volix Inkheart' which I really want to kill.

The game is odd, the combat right now is terrible, buts its ridiculously fun to chase a wolf with another person and play capture the wolf on the shoreline.

Remember this is EARLY alpha, and im sure by the end of it, it'll have blown many of its competitors and/or haters out of the water when it does truly release. :(

I didn't like it at first, on a 10x exp server, you're going to have a hell of a time even trying to break the 1000 skill cap, Let alone 3000 on some others.

But yeah, I secretly love it.

• Like 1

After playing a bit more of LIF I can only recommend this game to people who want to fund development. So glad my friends are suffering through server setup and the bugs associated with it. Is is playable? (yes) Time line for recommendation (1 year). 

Does anyone know if they will continue to update the offline version of this? I watched some of the videos on it and like right now it has no animals really so are they going to be updating this version or is that it just a preview to get money for the mmo? 

Edit: It also seems they are letting you use mods on the one you play yourself so it might take off like minecraft did. I can only see one modded server listed so far but i am sure there will be more as it goes. 

Edited by Kegan

Don't think it will take off like minecraft, at all.

But I do believe they are doing SOME updates, minor ones, most of there time will be going to the MMO version.

Does anyone know if they will continue to update the offline version of this? I watched some of the videos on it and like right now it has no animals really so are they going to be updating this version or is that it just a preview to get money for the mmo? 

Edit: It also seems they are letting you use mods on the one you play yourself so it might take off like minecraft did. I can only see one modded server listed so far but i am sure there will be more as it goes. 

LiF is one of the games I've been playing since starting my break from Wurm earlier this year so I'd like to share my views on it as well.  This is not an attempt to sway anyone to "jump ship" or to change their opinion, simply adding to the conversation.

Overall:

As others have said, it will not be for everyone, and the MMO version (LiF) vs the private server version (LiF:YO) are two rather different beasts.  Having been in the alpha for LiF, the biggest difference between the MMO and personal server versions is simply the size of the map, the lack of the "claims" mechanic (think of this system as a combination deed and guild/nation mechanics in Wurm), and the server owner's ability to mod the server.  This includes going so far as to restructure the skill trees, the exp rates, recipe requirements, and even the animations/models, they just need to provide the modified client files for you to use.

Map Size(s)

Looking at map sizes, for the LiF:YO map, it is roughly the size of Cele and shaped like a mini-Indy (big mountain in the middle, various terrain types between the mountain and the waterline).  On the MMO map, the LiF:YO equates to about 1 map "grid" in size (map was something like 12-15 by the same if I remember correctly).

Skill/Character Progression

• Skills are capped by server settings, which is an option the server owner can configure and can allow for your character to actually master all skills if the cap is set correctly.  There are a few servers with reduced skill gains very similar to Wurm's progression pacing, but again it is up to the server owner.
  • Like UO, on servers with anything less than max skills set, you can choose to lock any skill you want to not progress/gain exp in that "line", you can choose to have a skill reduce if you hit cap.
  • Crafting, "General", and Combat skills are all separate skill pools, so the cap applies to each pool separately.
  • Stats are their own pool and have their own "cap" applied

Combat

• PVE and PVP use the same combat system
  • Attacks are modified by skill, the weapon used, and target's armor
  • You can target specific areas for different outcomes
  • Endurance matters, different weapons and attacks have different endurance costs, and the armor you're wearing adds to this cost.
  • Different armors have different endurance costs, but also have strong/weak protection stats making a situational need/use for all armors (i.e. there is no best armor for every use where padding can be just as valuable as plate, sometimes more so, depending on who is using it and why)
  • You don't have to kill your opponent to defeat them and you still get to loot them
  • Death system applies a small skill loss upon death (not defeat), which can be a larger or smaller impact depending on the server settings

Trade/Commerce

• In the personal servers, since there are no kingdoms, there are no coin of the realm.  Each group is free to determine what they want to use as their basis of exchange.
  • In the MMO plans (as per the FAQ) each 1*1km kingdom will have a "pool" of coin introduced by way of the trader posts (think of the trader system in Wurm)

Building/Construction/Structures

• General housing/structures are templates (i.e. cookie cutter), but you can rotate the structure when placing it to provide at least some control on appearance
  • Castles/Cities are modular and built item by item
    • The requirements for each structure vary greatly, and will require a player to learn/use a couple different skills to build even the smallest/easiest house

Mods

I've actually been playing mostly on a modded server for the last few days, the admin/modder has been keeping in-step with the developer and releasing updates the same day as the official client files.  Currently there are only 3 truly modded servers (actually requiring modded client files) accessible to the public.  Custom server configurations for exp gains, number of animals, etc... do not require modded client files

Personal Opinion(s)

Honestly, I'm enjoying LiF about as much as I when I started playing Wurm full time a couple of years ago.  Like Wurm a few years ago, there are a lot of things that are still in the early development process, and more than a few things that are just fun when taken as part of the overall system.  To me, it really does feel like Wurm back when GV was noob town and the mainland was premium only.

The two biggest things that I think players coming from Wurm specifically need to keep in mind is that in LiF:YO there is a built in need to interact with people unless the server has the skill cap set high enough (3000+ skill points), and there is a progression dependency to all skill progression.  If you want to build castles, you need to learn to terraform->refine construction materials->construction->masonry->architecture, you cannot simply jump into one skill to hit the next skill unlock and than forget about the base skill.

As with any other game, you'll either like it or you won't, but either way, it's a personal opinion/preference that only you can decide on.

::edits due to spelling, yeah.. I still do that >.<::

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 2

Great Review, hussar,   Which modded server (and what mods) are you playing?

NVM: I found a video on what i had asked so i deleted my question. 

Edited by Kegan

Great Review, hussar,   Which modded server (and what mods) are you playing?

It's the "Life is Balanced" server, there is a link in the LiF forum's mod server section.

Basically, the admin/modder re-balanced the skill tree and some of the weapons/armor to remove certain weapon exploits (i.e. "nekkid" pitchforks), the client files are in the OP for his thread.  Skill progression is moderate to fast (for LiF) so you don't need to grind skills to get things done and reduces the impact from the death penalty, but resource costs for crafting make up the difference to keep people from simply spamming mass construction.

I'm casually playing with one of the "big" groups on the server, and even with about a dozen folks pitching in and mostly focusing on just building, it has took more than a week just building town walls.

One thing to add for the forestry/gathering folks.  If you work the alchemy line, when gathering herbs, each player has the chance to find a different effect for the same herb.  In order to maximize the "potion" benefits, you'll need to trade between different characters.  The developer claims it is unique to every character, but no one is compiling an effects list to my knowledge, so there is no way to easily verify this.  I do know that the few herbs I've found have had different properties from the herbs someone else traded me.

Nice video of LIF.

I played all weekend on my own server with nobody else so I could get the hang of the game.  This game should raise some CodeClub eyebrows.   Seriously...