Sign in to follow this  
trashmanguy

Life is Feudal: Your Own coming to steam!

Unplayable on low ql laptops.

Core i5, 4GB Ram, nVidia GT 540M 1GB - FPS @minimum settings about 10-15. When you go deep into the forest you may get even 4-5 FPS.

• Like 1

tried it,  it's "decently" Good,  Not bad at all,  though I have to remember it's in alpha/beta wtv.

CONS: Atm,  the animations are really turning me off, just to clunky - once they get to fixing that, it would be a lot better.  it's almost better to have no animations atm...

Not a fan of only 1 action per time either.....

Game has a extremely steep learning curve.

you CAN NOT be self dependent......period. (this is the biggest turn off ever, and every single player i've talked to agrees,  I wouldn't doubt this being changed, people NEVER liked being forced to work together - even in a MMO)

PROS! :   The forestry.......omg......the gathering.......so simply done, yet so amazing and addictive for me,  it's more immersive then wurms atm, though I really hope they add some way to tell where to do it at!

I love picking the sprouts from trees, grabbing mushrooms, or seeds, ect.  

graphics are a lot better then Wurm currently, so if you like pretty.....

Pro/con  -  Hard to die of starvation.....Sort of like wurm, you can gather (forage) food from anywhere basically.

I do not believe you need to drink at all....?

Combat looks like it WILL be fun, at the moment, not so much with the terrible animations...

looking at the game by itself, I'd give it a 6.5/10 in the CURRENT state.  if they work on it, fix the animations, maybe a better wiki,  I could bump it up to a 8/10.

And fear not Wurmians,  This game is in no comp with wurm in my honest opinion.  both are different styles -  Wurm will be more based on skills, while LiF is just focused on quick play (KIND of, like minecraft/rust, but on a slower scale, just not wurms-god-forsaken slowness that we all love)

It's something you'd get on and play for a bit for a bit of fun,  Not something you make your "hobby" though, as we call wurm.

• Like 1

5 min review

It is pretty and the future potential of the engine seems to be very high. Expect graphical bugs this early on but I saw nothing game breaking. Though the game ran fine on my system i7, it seems to max out the cpu core no matter what I am doing in game. 

As for what I see in the skill system, it really focuses on picking a role for your character right from the start. Picking what i wanted to be is not something I imagined coming from Wurm. I can see this being a really cool feature and a dire detriment to some that want to do everything. 

Stability is fine in game for me, but joining the server is really hit or miss depending on who is hosting it. Using the server browser is pure hell for me though this seems to be only a percentage of the population. 

Future potential looks good and I dont feel like I threw away my cash on another early access. I really hope this pans out in the future. On a side note, Wurm is still king for a long time to come. 

played a few hrs so far. wow.  closest thing to wurm I ever played.

I like it.  but I have to admit when fully online I hope they can make a pve server,   I would hate to work on so much just to have a zerk of players come and kill me and take everything.

but right now I also love that we can make our own servers so. we can play with our friends and keep pvp limited to consent.

hmm   does Rolf have a daughter over 18?  and the LIF  Russian guy have a Son .  cus i'd like to get them married   and have Rolf and this LIF dev  get together and make a new Wurm / LIF  game together

• Like 2

Couple friends and i are hosting a server out of new york if anyones interested the server is leetnetwork just hit name and its at the top of the list in the server browser.

• Like 1

I like it! Skill-cap isn't an issue really. You can make your own server and set the cap to 6000.  

After walking across the whole island and finding the perfect spot to build my farm, I started clicking buttons on the hot-bar to see what they do. When I clicked the one with a picture of a house on it, I got teleported back to the original spawn spot! It seems to be a "return to home" ability.  

The game does have a mini-map that shows where you are on the island, so it wasn't too hard to get back to my farm spot :)

the skill cap is like UO  skills up down and lock.  

I normally don't like that.  but  it just helps us play together.  one to woodcut. carp,  one to mine smith.  one for hunting cooking ect.    but u can do it all.  just would take time.

but not sure what the cap would be on the main server.  but private servers at least higher

I really dislike the skill cap (or any other artificial system like stat cap and such) limitation system, other than that I think wurm devs should buy the game, try it and shameless steal any feature they like about lol.

I don´t like the inventory system, and i kinda like the wurm way. If anything I think wurm should get ride of the stupid 100 items per container limitation.

I really like how the current processing of minerals works on lif, you equip your crucible,  ligth the furnace, drop some fuel on it pump the bellow until furnace reach the target temp, and the mineral you want to smelt with or without additional fuel, then you need to pump the bellow again until the ore reach the target temp, and smelt it, then you have the choice to get either ingots or lumps.

Of course i think if something like that gets implemented in wurm should come with some perks, like the possibility of improving the ql of the resulting ingots a bit over the original ore ql depending of the extra work you do depending on your main smithing skill or even taken into account the type of fuel you are using, etc.

Don´t get me wrong i don´t want an awful number of minigames pestering each crafting action at wurm, but maybe one here and there will make no harm.

Skillcaps are the main reason I'm not interested in this. if they ever get rid of them I'd gladly buy it. That and a PVE MMO system.

It seems like they have copied mortal onlines system of building. I never liked that system and never will although I do see how it is benefical to the landscape as a whole, compared to wurm where you have to flatten everything.

The terrafoming system is nothing new, Wurm has been using it since Wurm existed a "tile" system. Copy cat much?

Edited by AlexLong

Disclaimer: I know this game is early access so it has a long way to come in terms of features and performance, and I am still very happy to have supported the development of this game since 2011 (I wrote some core backstory/lore for it), and through purchasing it on Steam.

I bought the game and I can say, while I expected it (as per my earlier post) it's pretty demanding of resources for what it is.

Unplayable on low ql laptops.

Core i5, 4GB Ram, nVidia GT 540M 1GB - FPS @minimum settings about 10-15. When you go deep into the forest you may get even 4-5 FPS.

Pretty much my experience of the game, and those laptop specs are identical to mine except my Graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce G105M 512MB, so a bit lower than yours, and so my FPS etc was lower too.

A real drawback I found to this game, despite video performance, was that to play "singleplayer" you have to host your own server but make it private / 1 person capacity. In most other games this wouldn't be a problem I would even think about, but in LiF it meant that a big black window thing came up (which in and of itself isn't bad) however the server used 2GB of RAM alone! That's madness! The client was a further 1.6GB RAM meaning the total RAM usage for the game, at least for me, was 3.6GB of 4GB which is... higher than any game I have ever seen.

I tried multiplayer and it worked for maybe 45 minutes on a virtually empty server, but on any other server I just keep getting constant disconnects.

Sadly I wasn't able to play the game for long enough to give much insight into advanced crafting, terraforming, fighting or building. However I found crafting the initial "crude" tools easy enough. Much of the game is clearly inspired by Wurm though, and I think if I was able to play it for longer and at a more enjoyable performance / framerate I would be able, perhaps, to see more of the good parts of it.

Overall I can't consider this game enjoyable (at least on my hardware) for some time to come, and if it's not optimised severely, it never will be.

I bought and played the game. Here is my review of the game. http://steamcommunity.com/id/dwispa/recommended/290080/

Basically, I'm recommending a Don't Buy, despite all the hype and hoopla around it. I've played Wurm for a few years and I think people will be sorely dissapointed by LIF. Not because Wurm is better. But because I see all the challenges Rolf has had trying to develop an open world mmo survival game for both PVE and PVP. And I don't see the LIF dev team doing any better.

Edited by deene

It is just a hype train right now it will crash and burn soon enough. It did the last time when it first opened up its servers but now with it on steam it has gained a little more fuel but it will run out of "steam" soon enough too, lol 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 3

At the minute in it's present state it's a novelty item to tinker with rather than play. It's the same but different to Wurm and while it has a lot of future potential it is very much future potential. Right now it shows off it's rather nice terraforming and crafting system but misses some absolute fundamentals, such as being able to deconstruct your own or abandoned buildings without needing to use gm hacks to take care of. Having to rely on gm abilities to fudge a lack of mechanics breaks immersion and puts me off from spending any significant time actually playing it.

It's not going to be a threat to Wurm for the time being beyond the initial drop due to frenzied interest but in the distant future when they deliver on the mmo portion and fix a lot of very important basic mechanics from YO it could very well be - especially if you want a Wurm like experience with better pvp.

• Like 2

At the minute in it's present state it's a novelty item to tinker with rather than play. It's the same but different to Wurm and while it has a lot of future potential it is very much future potential. Right now it shows off it's rather nice terraforming and crafting system but misses some absolute fundamentals, such as being able to deconstruct your own or abandoned buildings without needing to use gm hacks to take care of. Having to rely on gm abilities to fudge a lack of mechanics breaks immersion and puts me off from spending any significant time actually playing it.

It's not going to be a threat to Wurm for the time being beyond the initial drop due to frenzied interest but in the distant future when they deliver on the mmo portion and fix a lot of very important basic mechanics from YO it could very well be - especially if you want a Wurm like experience with better pvp.

Well i have not tired it i admit but i don't plan on it either i just can not get past the modular housing if i can not choose each wall and tile i want to build it is not for me. I do like the idea of having a private server but without the buying and selling that would not be as fun for me either.  

Edit: I do hope the developers are over there looking for things that might work here though. It is always good to see another persons perspectives on things and you can bet they have been here. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Well i have not tired it i admit but i don't plan on it either i just can not get past the modular housing if i can not choose each wall and tile i want to build it is not for me. I do like the idea of having a private server but without the buying and selling that would not be as fun for me either.  

Edit: I do hope the developers are over there looking for things that might work here though. It is always good to see another persons perspectives on things and you can bet they have been here. 

err.......I believe you CAN choose per-wall tile...?  I haven't actually built yet, but everyones told me you could. (and i've seen it mentioned here a lot)

also.....if there ARE devs playing it.............

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, LOOK AT THAT BEAUTIFUL GATHERING!!!!!

/begs on his knees

• Like 1

Are there animals in it i mean is it PvE of just exploring and crafting right now? I might just have to try it out..sigh, lol

Right now I think all you get is Moose and Wolves. Which are paired. You settle anywhere near a moose and it's wolf chum eats you unless you manage to sling it in the face enough to drive it off.

You can catch invisible rabbits, hens etc in snares and slaughter them for bones but there are no models for them and they don't appear to do anything when dumped on the ground other than turn into a bag. Oddly familiar that, no?

It's early days for everything but terraforming and some basic crafting and while the prefab construction options don't allow for as much freedom as say Wurm it feels a lot more bleak and authentic which are two staples of the peasant simulator genre. 

Apparently in the full mmo version you can design housing to an extent beyond the prefab but really, why bother? You'll be too busy loading your dead onto carts or being gnawed on by rats I expect.

Well that is just it i am not a pvp player so the mmo side does not interest me at all unless they have a PvE server and then frankly i just don't see it being as good as Wurm,  Maybe over time it might get there since it does seem they have a long list of developers working there but who knows what Wurm will be in that same time span. 

I will keep an eye on it but for now i am going to pass on it. I mean do you think they are going to have houses as nice as we can make them in wurm now..

qlzJPcy.jpg

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2