Sign in to follow this  
trashmanguy

Life is Feudal: Your Own coming to steam!

With the prefrab housing that town at the end just looks like they copy/pasted in a map editor to make it.

Hosting your own servers -> This game wont have a good community.

The idea behind an mmorpg is that everyone exists together and it is persistent.

This is not the full MMO. The MMO will come out sometime next year. Not all houses are pre fab. You have an option to use them, but there is also modulat building like in wurm where you can choose where to place walls.  There are also servers hosted by the company that you can play on.

And that "YO" version of the game support mod...

http://lifeisfeudal.com/forum/lif-yo-interactive-faq-t1204/

11. Can I alter the assets/reverse engineer the software aka mod the server?

Yes, we allow and encourage any modifications of our servers and clients. Only if a purpose of such modifications is fun, but not attempt to gather profits in any way.

Edited by DioSan

This means that depending of what modder tools this guys makes, we can have lots and LOTS of fun.

even without official tools people can make fantastic mods and change things that no one thought it could, even on consoles

If it is easy to create mods, we can expect all sorts of things in this game. if they put steam workshop, it gets even easier

Will it be the new Neverwinter Nights 1 with a lot of servers and a massive modders community (CEP)? i hope <3

It looks good for a game to take a break from Wurm and play, time will tell how fast the new wears off.

Not sure I like what I've seen of their skill system, with which I mean the skill cap. It's easily bypassed by having one or more extra characters, which means it's just a money grab. What I've seen of mining does look good, 3d mines instead of the 2d mines we have here.

Not sure I like what I've seen of their skill system, with which I mean the skill cap. It's easily bypassed by having one or more extra characters, which means it's just a money grab. What I've seen of mining does look good, 3d mines instead of the 2d mines we have here.

Thir skill system is directly "borrowed" from Ultima Online, including the skill cap.   Wurm ALSO heavily borrowed how Ultima Online works, but I think they botched it by not including the skill caps like UO had.    In my experience it makes for much better characters and team interactions.

You cant fight with 3 alts at the same time, and you cant skill everything up, you are forced to be inventive in what skills you get, cooperate, and create strategies, instead of characters simply being separated by how many years have you grinded all related skills. (or at least that is how UO used to work, and allow me to say, that aspect of the game was in my humble opinion, light years better than what we have in Wurm now)

Regretably, "shards", wich were local servers, kinda killed UO, I cant see private servers as a good direction for big games with a healthy community.

Hello, Multiboxer here to say.........Multiple characters work. :)

And for the record......yes, they do work now in games like LiF with the twitch-style Combat.  (Unless theres colliding,  there are ways around that, but it's a PITA atm)

Edited by Kegan

I want to try this game, but I don't think my ageing laptop will be good enough...

• Like 1

Thir skill system is directly "borrowed" from Ultima Online, including the skill cap.   Wurm ALSO heavily borrowed how Ultima Online works, but I think they botched it by not including the skill caps like UO had.    In my experience it makes for much better characters and team interactions.

You cant fight with 3 alts at the same time, and you cant skill everything up, you are forced to be inventive in what skills you get, cooperate, and create strategies, instead of characters simply being separated by how many years have you grinded all related skills. (or at least that is how UO used to work, and allow me to say, that aspect of the game was in my humble opinion, light years better than what we have in Wurm now)

Ultima Online's skill system does not just have a skill cap, it also has a limitation in how many character slots you have. Wurm has neither, so you have total freedom. But LiF has a skill cap without limiting the amount of characters you can have. You say Wurm botched it? I say LiF botched it (too). Just have one character for combat, and multiple to cover all the crafting bases. Focus on one group of crafting skills per character, once you cap them just create a new character and focus on other crafting skills there, until you have them all covered. There is no difference between such a skill cap and the way Wurm does it, because in LiF you can effectively bypass the skill cap by paying for more characters! It's just a one time fee, not even a subscription. Thus the skill cap is nothing more than an artificial progression ceiling which is easily bypassed by paying more money. Your effective skill cap depends only on the size of your wallet.

But it gets worse, you say you can't skill everything up in UO? Well let's look at LiF some more. Their site mentions you can grind a skill to 90 in 2-5 days, at which point you can do everything that's part of that skill (90-100 just gives titles and such, it doesn't make you better at the skill), so reaching the cap on your character can be done within two weeks to a month. Their wiki lists 30 non-combat skills, so to get them all to 90 you need 2700 skill points, 5 characters with six skills at 90 each does the trick. Within 2 to 5 months all your crafting skills can then be at 90. At that point you can do everything yourself, there's nobody out there who can craft something better than you. Co-operation with other players for crafting purposes seems completely unnecessary. Thus I think their current skill system is actually worse than in Wurm (though Wurm is certainly guilty of the same thing due to priests). In Wurm it at least takes ages to become 100% self-sufficient, I'm still not there after 7 years.

Now if there was actually a reasonable character limit per player then I would agree with you that it's a better system than Wurm's. Other good examples of skill systems are those in Star Wars Galaxies (skill cap + character limit like in UO) and  EvE online (limit to the amount of skills you get per day, though negative side was no limitations to the number of accounts). LiF quite likely won't have a character limit, as one of their sources of income will come from transferring characters from the tutorial island to the main world.

I expect I'll still try the game anyway to see what the terraforming and crafting systems are like, but their approach at the skill system disappoints me greatly.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 1

Ultima Online's skill system does not just have a skill cap, it also has a limitation in how many character slots you have. Wurm has neither, so you have total freedom. But LiF has a skill cap without limiting the amount of characters you can have. You say Wurm botched it? I say LiF botched it (too). Just have one character for combat, and multiple to cover all the crafting bases. Focus on one group of crafting skills per character, once you cap them just create a new character and focus on other crafting skills there, until you have them all covered. There is no difference between such a skill cap and the way Wurm does it, because in LiF you can effectively bypass the skill cap by paying for more characters! It's just a one time fee, not even a subscription. Thus the skill cap is nothing more than an artificial progression ceiling which is easily bypassed by paying more money. Your effective skill cap depends only on the size of your wallet.

But it gets worse, you say you can't skill everything up in UO? Well let's look at LiF some more. Their site mentions you can grind a skill to 90 in 2-5 days, at which point you can do everything that's part of that skill (90-100 just gives titles and such, it doesn't make you better at the skill), so reaching the cap on your character can be done within two weeks to a month. Their wiki lists 30 non-combat skills, so to get them all to 90 you need 2700 skill points, 5 characters with six skills at 90 each does the trick. Within 2 to 5 months all your crafting skills can then be at 90. At that point you can do everything yourself, there's nobody out there who can craft something better than you. Co-operation with other players for crafting purposes seems completely unnecessary. Thus I think their current skill system is actually worse than in Wurm (though Wurm is certainly guilty of the same thing due to priests). In Wurm it at least takes ages to become 100% self-sufficient, I'm still not there after 7 years.

Now if there was actually a reasonable character limit per player then I would agree with you that it's a better system than Wurm's. Other good examples of skill systems are those in Star Wars Galaxies (skill cap + character limit like in UO) and  EvE online (limit to the amount of skills you get per day, though negative side was no limitations to the number of accounts). LiF quite likely won't have a character limit, as one of their sources of income will come from transferring characters from the tutorial island to the main world.

I expect I'll still try the game anyway to see what the terraforming and crafting systems are like, but their approach at the skill system disappoints me greatly.

TL:DR

In wurm Seniority trumps strategy.

with skill caps, strategy trumps seniority.

And with a poorly balanced skill system, templates trump creativity, strategy AND seniority.

So I guess I have to wait and see how is LiF balanced.

Long version.

For the record, I havent tried LiF, and I wont untill someone whos judgement I trust dearly does.

About account limits or no limits, that can always be bypassed, in Ultima Online as well, I had millions of alts.  You are limited to an ammount of characters per account, but you can have as many accounts as you wish.

The point I was trying to make with the skill cap.  is that you CAN use 35 alts (made up number)  to max all skills, but in UO at least, when the time to fight came, you needed well balanced skills.   The grinding of crafting skills was INCREDIBLY faster than wurm, and if you knew exactly what to do, and had resources available, you could max any skill in a couple of days.

The diference I enjoyed the most, is that there cant be a single character that is outstanding in everything.   You can be the best archer, and chase off magicians left and right, but you will get a hard time when a melee fighter gets to you, and the melee fighter will have a hard time when your magician paralizes it and comfortably kills it with spells,  and they will all die when the animal tamer throws some huge beast that is way OP. (happened in UO)

So you can count on a person having characters for everything, but EVERY character will have a weak and a strong side, and you can always find your niche, and train it to be kinda effective in just a couple of weeks.

In Wurm, oposite to the previous example, I can grind up every single (non-priest) skill, and its more a race to grind up all possible skills.   The division is mostly between really old players, and then everyone else.  The way to be relevant, is to be old first, and be smart second.

I would not be posting that i am sure i seen a rule against that being posted someplace.

edit: But i guess you are talking about LIF... just saying, lol

Talking about in general :)

Technically speaking though, unless a game pure out says "no multiboxing" it's allowed, because of how it works. It can't be classified even close to botting, and it doesn't fit into macroing either. It's kind of the "I don't THINK this game would allow it, so I better not do it" kind of thing.

Most MMO's now adays allow it though, more money for them, and in general doesn't ruin gameplay for others (though some try to say it does, and that it's just botting - get a clue XD)

In general, it's just more challenging, and gives a bit more Roleplay (and choices) which is really fun

"Aw man! THE GAME OF MY DREAMS! Can't wait to dive into this, been looking forward to it for over a year!" - Bashur

No Thanks

• Like 3

$40 and a steam forum moderator who has a definition for "constructive criticism" that is identical to "praise". All negative opinions that don't backpedal so hard they could ride on water are deleted and more often than not the moderator skips his own process and jumps straight to the ban. Not willing to invest the bulk of the risk and then have no input.

$40 and a steam forum moderator who has a definition for "constructive criticism" that is identical to "praise". All negative opinions that don't backpedal so hard they could ride on water are deleted and more often than not the moderator skips his own process and jumps straight to the ban. Not willing to invest the bulk of the risk and then have no input.

That happens all the time with other games as well though.

• Like 1

The game is great! Second most selling game on steam right now. WOOHOOO!!

Keep in mind that if you buy the game you will have full access for one account when the MMO comes out. The MMO is free to play and test out on the newbie island, but if you want to join the main island you have to buy a ticket for each account you want to transfer over. There will be no subscription so that makes this game a one time purchase more or less.

That happens all the time with other games as well though.

I likely refuse to support them as well.

I was aslo thinking about trying this game out. But i dont like the skillcap and its quite easy to grind skills as i read. Wurm is pretty hardcore if it comes to skill gain and i got used to it over the years