Sign in to follow this  
griper

Add 3rd person view

a big +1 from me. I would love to enjoy it while sailing and exploring and to be able to make awesome screenshots.

-1 Wurm should stick with first person only. I have yet to try the third person sailing so I will hold my opinions on that; however I feel that first person view really puts things into perspective. What good would those tall walls be for privacy if one could switch to 3pp and angle the camera over? Idk... with all of those 3pp mmos Wurm is nice and unique in that its first person only.

Edited by Kristoff

That already happens with the animations when my head is disconnected from the camera.

I'd hope at some point that can be improved

a big +1 from me. I would love to enjoy it while sailing and exploring and to be able to make awesome screenshots.

As if people don't already use alts for much of the stuff talked about here :)

-1 from me, I like the 1st person only aspect of the game. If you're on 3rd person that makes you get kind of an advantage in PvP where you can see outside of objects since wurm collision is quite problematic. Also how do you expect 3rd person to look in caves where the ceiling is low?

People will use it to peak behind walls and inside houses as it will be glitchy in some situations.

But I don't think it's bad feature :D

EDIT: Heck Notch's other deal Minecraft didnt have it in the vanilla PC version. Not sure if it was ever was added in later versions.

Yes.. Minecraft has third person and has for a very long time.. Hell has multiple third persons..

I think it would be fine for Freedom, in the long term I think it would even make a lot of sense from a business point of view for Rolf to add this. Why? Well, they might want to selling cosmetic options at traders or in the shop in the future (for example, skins to apply to in game items like armor. This way everything (like the armor) is still player made, you just pay extra for looks). Many games manage to earn a nice amount of extra money from that, this can then be used to expand the dev team and add even more new features on a yearly basis. But who'd buy such cosmetic options if you can't even admire the way your own character looks? Sure, there are always people who still do so (I know I did with seryll plate), but the group of people who will buy cosmetic options when limited to 1st person view is likely a lot smaller than the group that buys them when 3rd person view is available and they can actually admire what they bought. For the future, if they have any plans to sell such cosmetic skins (probably a big if, but who knows) then limiting the game to 1st person view could be an issue.

Yes.. Minecraft has third person and has for a very long time.. Hell has multiple third persons..

I don't get involved in suggestions anymore than I have to, since people are still using it to throw their self entitled little tantrums (like how awful a game is, but they keep playing?!)

Anyway, but if this is a switchable thing, sure, to each his own... 

To me, -1 I think it removes immersion, and it affects "wurm" the way i feel it, seeing forward as I would for real, 3rd person is unreal and spooky, like watching your own body as a spirit :P

If I played pvp, I would HATE that people can use it, but that's my 50cents.

For business: it makes sense.

Edited by Marlon

It's on test right now.

Really? WoW...

+1 for freedom

but in pvp it would suck kinda.. played some FPS games with 3rd person and it gives a lot advantage to see enemies behind the wall when you are covered.

LoL, like Wurm's combat is that good that seeing someone behind a wall is a great advantage... As it is you can see THROUGH most stuff if you glitch in just right, not to mention omni-vision if you get yourself just right inside a cave.

I can understand from the PvP point of view why people wouldn't want this.

However, I know several people who would love the sandbox environment and even attempted to play, but were unable to stay on for more than 5 minutes at a stretch. They suffer from extreme nausea when playing 1st person view games, which is surprisingly common. So from a business point of view it makes sense to provide the option as it increases the number of potential subscribers.

Maybe just provide the option for non-PvP areas?

Anyway, from my point of view:

+1 so I can play with my guildies who currently aren't physically able.

For those that put -1, mind explaining? I personally wouldn't use this if it was added, but I don't see how it would hurt MY immersion if other people did use it.

• Like 1

It is on test, option in advanced graphics. This is how it looks in game:

218m.jpg

Not very nice because you can't zoom out... 

Edited by Torgrim

Keep in mind though that first person view is one of the things that makes Wurm different from other MMOs.

Not in a good way for me personally. I would very much like a third person option for Wurm. Allow the players to decide through options either first or third please.

To me the specialness of Wurm is not just in the first person view, but in many other things that Wurm has that few other games have (and I don't think those games are that good).

+1

Edited by geode