Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Eliminate physical coins

Seeing how we can do things like break the server, by attempting to pick up 15k iron coins, break the client by trying to drag 3k+ coins into the bank at once, or even give coins derogatory names, I think we should change the way the ingame currency works.

Rather than a quantity that physically exists in individual coins, let's eliminate the coins completely and switch to what most other games have, which is essentially electronic banking. Let the client display your banked and carried wealth. When trading with someone, you chose how much to trade them, yet no physical coins move between characters.  When you die and you (or someone else) loot your corpse, you find a "bag of coins worth x" on the corpse.

This will make banking and trading much easier, but best of all, it ELIMINATES tons of extra server work load.  Many people I know have thousands of irons from praying.  If I only know 1% of the total Wurm population, then it would be easy to assume there are hundreds of thousands of irons in existence. The servers have to track every single coin!!

This seems a mutually beneficial feature request for players and Code Club.

• Like 4

My precious iron coins...

Or at least give us a "combine coin" option, automatically making the coins turn into the biggest available coin so if you have 45 iron coins, it'll "combine" into 2x20 and 1x5, if that is easier to code then your idea. Which i do like.

I've learned to bank them now.. :)

• Like 3

hey, I pointed no fingers directly at anyone, lol. Yes, I was thinking of the combine route at first, then decided I wanted to go with a complete overhaul.  I am curious to see if any cooks -1 me.

• Like 1

Simple, perma ban the ones that does it!

Next problem?

lol thats like saying "how to fix rising poverty? kill all poor people..."

• Like 2

BUT REALISM ... lets at least stay consistent.

Honestly who knew 15k iron coins would break anything before you posted it, -1.

+1   Seems I've asked for this too at some point. Maybe it was another thread asking for the same thing because this isn't the first time its come up.

And before someone comes in and mentioned the Wurm plague *cough* PvP *cough* ... PvE only. PvP's ability to take an opponent's coins is hindering conveniences that would improve PvE.

• Like 3

+1 Seems I've asked for this too at some point. Maybe it was another thread asking for the same thing because this isn't the first time its come up.

And before someone comes in and mentioned the Wurm plague *cough* PvP *cough* ... PvE only. PvP's ability to take an opponent's coins is hindering conveniences that would improve PvE.

Who the heck runs around with coins on a PvP server? Please use logic and cite specific cases when answering. Thank you.

Maybe instead of having magic currency we could have a coin purse which sorta acts like a BSB for coins and have the 100 item limit with coins like you do with everything else.

No thanks.

I like the coin object system Wurm has... for one thing it greatly cuts down on massive inflation. There are countless examples of other mmos where massive influxes in coin counts leads to huge increases in prices. Typical example is gold farming.

The more gold floating around, the less value people attribute to it.

Basic economics.

lol thats like saying "how to fix rising poverty? kill all poor people..."

Edited by Tissotx

I like the coins, i like the piles of iron coins on my vault building i drop there for decoration (too bad they're kinda tiny).

How, and why the hell do you come to run around with 15k iron coins? I mean a month of steady praying might get you around 300 if you're lucky (can't really think of any other way of getting that many iron coins without drawing 4 iron coins from the bank at a time- thus breaking the game on purpose), do you mean to tell me that you spent 50 months praying to grab that many?

For a player to on purpose take out 15000 iron coins and arrange them in satchels 100 each, backpacks frying pan fountains, and sellect all stacks and in one go delibratly drag them over to bank hoping and knowing it will crash the server, with a motive to do so.

To ban someone from the game for this destructive unnormal behaviour that ruins the game for everyone else, this you compare to kill off all poor people in the world to fix the poverty.

So what happens in your vision when u have killed off 10% of the world popultation, u will still be left with a new 10% of people that have less than 90% of the remaining people. U want kill them off too, and continue that process until there is only one human left?

Weirdo!

I thought you were thinking about renaming coins to say funny stuff > ban, and yea, i am well aware of the idiocity of killing all poor people will just create a new poverty class.

it would however make the rich less rich, (so it does "kinda" work, although super inefficient and unethical ) since poor people not having enough money to sustain themselves is what gives money its value.

Ok, I generated 3k irons in 4 weeks of praying. 15k is easy enough over time. Would be happy to do it if you need proof that this is a normal ability in Wurm. Just give me a few months.

This isn't the point. Nobody deliberately broke the server. It was an accident. When I went to deposit my 3k coins, I realized my quantity was getting up there and tried to make sure I did not break the server by getting a much smaller amount deposited, yet even my 3k was a dangerous amount it seems.

Point is, we need a cleaner currency system that eliminates server stress. I do not see how a physical coin (which is still a virtual coin anyway) prevents inflation. Code club decides how much coin to distribute, regardless of the method.

If you want pvp coin looting, I already covered that in the OP.

Ok, I generated 3k irons in 4 weeks of praying. 15k is easy enough over time. Would be happy to do it if you need proof that this is a normal ability in Wurm. Just give me a few months.

This isn't the point. Nobody deliberately broke the server. It was an accident. When I went to deposit my 3k coins, I realized my quantity was getting up there and tried to make sure I did not break the server by getting a much smaller amount deposited, yet even my 3k was a dangerous amount it seems.

Point is, we need a cleaner currency system that eliminates server stress. I do not see how a physical coin (which is still a virtual coin anyway) prevents inflation. Code club decides how much coin to distribute, regardless of the method.

If you want pvp coin looting, I already covered that in the OP.

Only know one person who prayed for coin that much, guess your back Protunia.

• Like 4

pretty funny, because I actually own the Protunia account now.  No, I just have some priests that do a lot of sermons, so praying is easy to manage.

Ok so you pray a lot and get a bunch of iron, how frigging far from a token do you pray.

Just deposit them at the end of each day, problem solved.

• Like 1

Shrimpiie isn't the brightest bulb lol.

The system has flaws in it which can be vastly improved.

Another flaw: they are individual items in the database which obviously take up pointless space.

• Like 2

changing it would just be a source for exploits and don't want them with money.

Shrimpiie isn't the brightest bulb lol.

The system has flaws in it which can be vastly improved.

Another flaw: they are individual items in the database which obviously take up pointless space.

They're only individual items when you have them on you, which most people don't have most of the time.

+/-0 It will be easier to con people and bugs could make it hard to determine which transfers were intentional and which weren't, and I don't think that the game world should be limited to compensate for a system that can't handle large amounts of simple +1 calculations even though it would technically solve the problem of a crashing server. I'm still not very fond of the slapdash fix where you can only dump 100 items in a bulk bin at a time because of this very reason. It's a sloppy fix for a much larger problem, even if it works...

They're only individual items when you have them on you, which most people don't have most of the time.

They have individual entries in the database (which is why you can name them), but doesn't actually matter since no matter how many entries there are it will practically take up 0 storage space.