Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Spell tweaks on test

Hey everyone,

after going through the discussions here in the latest input thread here we've coded various changes to spells and priests most of you seem to agree upon. The main goals have been three:

* To reduce the amount and effectiveness of carpet bombing

* To reduce the effectiveness of "spiking" players by having several priests targetting and quickly shred them to pieces with spells

* Keep priests useful and interesting in combat

Some suggestions were for area based cooldown but for various reasons coding that wouldn't work out well so we decided to go for another mechanism where you receive spell resistance against the last type of spell cast on you.

The resistance becomes 50% initially and goes down by 10% per 5 seconds, so after 25-30 seconds it will be gone. You should see an icon representing your current resistance.

Combat and some healing (Heal, Scorn and Light of Fo) spells give resistance for subsequent spells cast. So the second or third time one of those spells are cast before resistance is gone you receive less effect or the spell simply fails if the resistance kicks in. This will of course affect PVE but we think that may be good. Uniques seem too easy (and grindy) to kill because of how those spells used to work. We will probably have to make uniques take damage more easily in the process by reducing their natural armour a bit which should make it more fun as well. Not yet on the test server though. Also the resistance may be unnecessary if there's cooldown except maybe for Heal which has very short cooldown.

What is now on the test server and which needs testing and feedback are the following changes:

Your most solid piece of armour now limits your ability to cast spells and perform archery. Using lighter armours give bonus! You can hover the status icon to see the current penalty or bonus.

The damage effects of hitting limbs, heads and eyes were tweaked down a bit so that you can wear light helmets

All Priests may now use Archery without penalty

While on a vehicle or riding you may now only lead one creature which should make battles more interesting according to several sources.

Oakshell now has 30 seconds cooldown

Shard of Ice, Rotting Gut and Fireheart now deals more damage

Fireheart now has 30 seconds cooldown.

Light of Fo now has a 2 minute cooldown

Pain Rain now has a 2 minute cooldown

Scorn of Libila now has a 2 minute cooldown

Tentacles now has a 2 minute cooldown

Fungus Trap, Tentacles, Fire Pillar and Ice Pillar now deal double damage

Hellstrength now has 30 seconds cooldown

Oakshell now has 30 seconds cooldown

Rotting Gut now has 30 seconds cooldown

Shard of Ice now has 30 seconds cooldown

Smite now has 30 seconds cooldown

The difficulty of Smite was lowered to 70 from 90

Tornado has a 2 minute cooldown

Tornado may now stun victims for 5 seconds

Weakness now has 30 seconds cooldown

Willowspine now has 30 seconds cooldown

Wormbrains now has 30 seconds cooldown

So, yes a lot will change but hopefully for the better and more interesting. Go ahead and try it out and tell us what you think.

New accounts on the test server will spawn as priests with a statuette to use for casting. Here's a link to the test server:

Have a nice weekend!

Rolf

• Like 7

all of this sounds pretty good, over the next few days ill give it a solid lookover and feedback per individual spell

my only current complaint is, if all priests can now use bows, i believe the only god that can't tame (libila), should now be able to tame and the taming nerf for simply being BL, should also go away.

The leading horse thing needs to happen, but not in that way. IMO a better mechanic would be to lose CR per horse led, that way people can still transport horses, but it solves the issue of people using 2-3 backups.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 20

While on a vehicle or riding you may now only lead one creature which should make battles more interesting according to several sources.

Yeah, no. This is not a negotiable change. Get rid of it.

EDIT: To add clarification; I am not against this kind of change at all, but lower the CR per led horse instead. (only on PvP though, as this may seriously mess PvE players up)

• Like 14

Erm, transporting horses will be fun...

• Like 3

"The damage effects of hitting limbs, heads and eyes were tweaked down a bit so that you can wear light helmets"

From my understanding the widespread use of plate helms is because of the archery head attack.  If that was not changed, then nothing else has changed.

• Like 1

I hope this is just for the pvp servers seems extreme to have for freedom pve

• Like 6

I hope this is just for the pvp servers seems extreme to have for freedom pve

Overcompensating again, fixing things that don't need fixing.

I so hope this is going to be a Chaos/Epic only change, or there's going to be loads of fun happening on those forums.

• Like 1

Terrible.

I so hope this is going to be a Chaos/Epic only change, or there's going to be loads of fun happening on those forums.

Heck with that.  95% of time on Chaos/Epic is nowhere near combat.

Heck with that.  95% of time on Chaos/Epic is nowhere near combat.

Tbh i agree that it shouldn't change at all. but if it does, at least don't do it on freedom.

What about instead of being able to only lead one animal (while riding or on vehicle) just prevent you from fight (set your CR to 0) / cast if you lead more than one? So it will be a definite NO in PVP, still will allow horse transportation?

Edited by Lovefall
  • Like 1

Maybe you can randomly drop your leads while an enemy is present? That might be a better way to deal with it. 

• Like 2

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLlErN22r18

• Like 1

Hope this is a pvp only change. 

Hey everyone,

Have a nice weekend!

Rolf

I really really hope this is a change for pvp servers only.

Rolf while its cute that you think hell strength is used... its not. its only usable on weak accounts and its a long duration spell, its not a "cast in the heat of the moment" type of thing.

You do know that you implemented a limit to the strength of a user, right?

even a 40 str crafting alt cant be casted on.

On that note: it would be nice if the spell were of any use to non-newbies.

Also...

Now if you decided to make the invisible tentacle spell deal double damage... then make sure it gets some form of visual representation BEFORE being buffed so we can atleast walk out of it properly like all the other aoe spells? becouse incase you are unaware, this is not a pillar spell and thus it cant be "removed" by countering it with another fungus trap or pillar and its very destructive to a group...

edit: I havn't really been hit with tornadoes in the past, but they should have visuals too if you decide to go with a 5 second stuns for them. (BEFORE implementation)

Finally

"spell resistance against the last type of spell cast on you."

You know that WL priests uses various types of single target damage to the diffrense of BL priests, right?

Why isn't it a resistance against all types at once?

Was that a oversight or intentional?

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 2

OMG Rolf I love you

Amazing changes and I think it's a huge step in the right direction. It's also nice to see the pvp side get some love aver the Xanadu release. Please keep up the good work.

The only thing that I feel might have some problem is the leading only a single horse while on a vehicle. What will work better for not only freedom but also the pvp servers is the cr nurf per horse that is being lead, as prophteer posted. The same thing should be changed with the lib tame nurf.

Thanks again

• Like 2

A billion easy things that could be fixed right now (including the mailing system that you keep screwing over), and yet we're sinking time into elaborately rehashing the mechanics of spells (which was last done a couple of years ago)...

I bet more PVPers were affected by the unfinished mailing change than they were by offensive priest spells.

• Like 4

All Priests may now use Archery without penalty

To balance out this change, it would be a good idea to allow Libila to tame and Magranon to lockpick, as they could both previously archer already.

• Like 14

All the changes sound pretty nice to me except the leading of animals. I can understand why this would be done, but I feel these changes should only impact pvp and not general "livity". A CR nerf per led animal or something like that sounds like a better way to go. I am sure other people have ideas to get this done without intervention with general life and/or pve servers

Edited by Viti

Freedoms got Xanadu and then complain when there are tweaks to a system they are not apart of. Some things I will never understand...

BTW I have used the mailing system once in the 1.5 years that I have been playing and I play both on chaos and epic.

Edited by blayze
  • Like 2

Not a part of?  unfortunately when he 'tweaks' pvp he generally is kicking pve in the ass

• Like 3

Make it so BL can tame a dark blessed mob, but cannot tame a regular mob? And opposite for WL priests?

• Like 7