Sign in to follow this  
Firestarter

Item signature to include Wurm year item was created.

I think it would be a nice addition if the item signature included the Wurm year that the item was created.

What are your thoughts on it?

• Like 11

I think it would be a nice addition if the item signature included the Wurm year that the item was created.

What are your thoughts on it?

well i would want this since its very good idea, it adds value to old items..

but this should been in the game from the start, so it feels a little pointless to add i now

i doubt very much that in the wurm database it has loged the creation time, so all existing items would mess it up.

+/- 0.5 from me

All existing items could be left as "legacy" items with no date on them.

All items from now on have the date they were created.

Sure, at first it would see somewhat useless, but in a few years time it will be great. Even right away I would find it useful for one.

+1.

As an added feature, a separate date for when the item was turned rare, supreme and fantastic would be nice.

Not sure how this would be displayed without event spam, but maybe have a toggle for date.

Edited by Outlaw

+1,  don't see why not honestly though I'd settle for just having the signatures not get deleted all the time.   I think some of my gear I've wiped the signature two or three times due to the database bumming out.   

• Like 1

I think it'd just add to event spam, would prefer if it was optional or had an additional command.

Perhaps if it didn't create a separate line but was simply included in the already existing line of who made an item?

Example:

"You can still make out the signature of its maker: 'xxxxxx', year: 1021."

• Like 5

+1,  don't see why not honestly though I'd settle for just having the signatures not get deleted all the time.   I think some of my gear I've wiped the signature two or three times due to the database bumming out.   

• Like 1

I'd probly say great idea.  But of late I haven't even been able to keep signatures very long.

• Like 1

I'd probly say great idea. But of late I haven't even been able to keep signatures very long.

Yeah, what happened? Ever since that first reset they've been wonky.

No. Not needed and just more coding to clutter up items. I hardly see the need for bulk bins, small barrels, carts, etc to have this information listed upon them. The current truncated names serve well enough and most times are even undecipherable if of any length.

=Ayes=

Tbh it won't even matter unless they actually fix the bug where the database loses signatures. +/-0 I don't really care but also don't feel a need for more Event spam when examining items.

Any other thoughts on this?

Personally I would love to have this feature added

I like the idea of engraving.

Lets say the database logs the creation date, but it does not automatically show up on examine.

Then you can use a tool appropriate to the craft such as a needle for cloth-tailoring, an awl for leatherworking or a chisel for masonry (and pottery), to engrave the item. This would replace the line concerning signature on examine with clearly printed name of creator and year of creation.

Engraving an item not created by you would have the same effect as engraving one you personally have made; to reveal the stored data clearly.

For metal and wood items, since there is no obvious tool to hijack in smithing, I would suggest a steel burin as an engraving tool.

A new wood/metal/stone/pottery item; cornerstone/plaque. Add this to a housewall to enable engraving. It would show year that building work was last carried out on a writ. Repair and imp would not reset the date, but removing or adding walls/floors/roofs would. i.e. <writname> was completed in the year xxxx.

A burin could possibly have additional functionality:

Inscribing metal/wood items. e.g. inscribing metal altars/metal bowl of stone altars/wooden altars (graffiti can be removed with a pelt at the cost of quality as if repairing damage) 

Creating woodcuts to extend the functionality of papyrus or to print designs onto cloth.

• Like 2

Many bonuses from this.

Makes tools more personalized for every person, adds history to it and might even help on finding them easier when lost.

• Like 1

A new wood/metal/stone/pottery item; cornerstone/plaque. Add this to a housewall to enable engraving. It would show year that building work was last carried out on a writ. Repair and imp would not reset the date, but removing or adding walls/floors/roofs would. i.e. <writname> was completed in the year xxxx.

A burin could possibly have additional functionality:

Inscribing metal/wood items. e.g. inscribing metal altars/metal bowl of stone altars/wooden altars (graffiti can be removed with a pelt at the cost of quality as if repairing damage)

Creating woodcuts to extend the functionality of papyrus or to print designs onto cloth.

The house one would be especially useful for determining if something has been abandoned, or an important historical landmark.

As for inscribing, it would be good for something like a colossus, a way for contributing players to put their names on it, as a way to go down in history.

• Like 1