Sign in to follow this  
blizzerd

On the subject of possibility (The poll) of Epic Affliction home server map from 4*4 to 8*8, Map suggestion

We all want a perfect map, and i want the new bl home map to be perfect, and when stuff doesnt end up perfect i want at least the knowledge that i tried to contribute to a perfect map

so i suggest a map kinda like the picture i made here;

(>9000 h in mspaint)

Naamloos%20%282%29.png

Why so many rivers and waterways?: Because hots is a kingdom excelling in naval combat, their spells and game mechanics are adapted to it and this way the map would complelement the playstyle. Also this way the map is naturally sectioned off into parts that could belong to different alliances or groups, remember this is Hots, they are not always as pacifistic even against each other, even on the home server...

Why all the islands and delta: Because people love to live on them, hermits or small towns can use the added protection of being inside a delta.

Why so few mountains and so small ones?: This is not elevation, this is a home server, people already have massive defensive advantages here and mountains only take away massive amounts of space that can be used to build deeds on or explore and hunt.

I feel you kinda overdid on the islands/center waterways/something else: Yes, this is more a carricature of desrireable traits of a map then an actual map, then again i would seriously prefer this map over the current home server.

Extra why the current one sucks:

Its super cramped, the map has massive lakes and oceans, a very high amount of inaccessible mountains and very thin landbridges... all leading to a very tiny cramped space of land where everyone is bumping in eachothers local and land feuds are a common occurrance.

I hope you guys have much to talk about, also feel free to post your own Affliction map suggestions here.

• Like 1

you want a new map for server that has less than a 20 player average on at any given time? 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

While I don't currently play hots (or at the time plan to) I always disliked the affliction map when I did go, it was extremely....awkward.

I like the looks of yours, but I'd say fewer tiny islands all over the edges, just way to many in my opinion

And "maybe" connect some of the main ones by one or two very small land bridges, not all of them - just two or three, leave the rest like is mostly.

The main issue I had when I joined current hots server once upon a time, I couldn't explore very far without dieing from so many mobs, but it was to mountainy/exploded looking lol

• Like 1

While I don't currently play hots (or at the time plan to) I always disliked the affliction map when I did go, it was extremely....awkward.

I like the looks of yours, but I'd say fewer tiny islands all over the edges, just way to many in my opinion

And "maybe" connect some of the main ones by one or two very small land bridges, not all of them - just two or three, leave the rest like is mostly.

The main issue I had when I joined current hots server once upon a time, I couldn't explore very far without dieing from so many mobs, but it was to mountainy/exploded looking lol

Yes i agree, its a carricature though, but yes too many islands and some landbridges between the "sub-continents" would probably be best probably.

I'd like all maps to look remotely like this.

Me 2

you want a new map for server that has less than a 20 player average on at any given time? 

Yes, the reason only 20 people play on the server is because 30 people would mean at least 3 or 4 guys are sitting on someone elses shoulders... there arent many playing or staying around because the map is horrible to traverse trough and sitting on deed all the time is boring, there are some decent roads but a lot of deeds are just completely cut off from the rest of the world so they could just as well be somewhere on xanadu because they have 0 player interaction.

You are naming a symptom of the problem.

BL for most parts of the year never has more than 30-40 people split between ble an BLH, it's a seasonal kingdom.

The Map you made is awesome though.

Before affliction is upgraded id rather see epic merged into a Xanadu sized map.

Edited by Radni
  • Like 1

4 big islands, got yer 3 home servers, and just put up a 'border' that gives the -CR if you cross it.

(As in 1 Big Map, not 4 seperate)

Not sure if this is possible.  But I assume it is, I mean you got HoTA zone and what not, Deeds, etc.

I'm not a programmer, nor do I know how to do anything like it.. so0o, not sure if it can even be done.

Just sounds cool.

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 2

Before affliction is upgraded id rather see epic merged into a Xanadu sized map.

We can only dream, also this thread is not about "is it a good idea to reset afflicion" per se, its about "what kind of map should replace it if the poll rolf put up in affliction passes and he will actually do it"

4 big islands, got yer 3 home servers, and just put up a 'border' that gives the -CR if you cross it.

(As in 1 Big Map, not 4 seperate)

Not sure if this is possible.  But I assume it is, I mean you got HoTA zone and what not, Deeds, etc.

I'm not a programmer, nor do I know how to do anything like it.. so0o, not sure if it can even be done.

Just sounds cool.

I'd love that, but even with that idea in mind, i would pefer a 16*16 map like the one i posted in OP more then anything rolf has thrown at us recently, even xanadu.

BL for most parts of the year never has more than 30-40 people split between ble an BLH, it's a seasonal kingdom.

Only speaking for myself here, but when I went to affliction I originally planned on moving to epic - until I got around the map that is... At the time I was still new to the game, but had the basics down, however, the map was....trash. The only spot I found for myself was in a coastal area on the side of the cliff I could have probably made home after a lot of surface mining, but I couldn't live that long enough due to mobs.... And I wasn't extremely satisfied with the area even. So I kept looking and couldn't find a good spot, and decided to head back to freedom.

So from my PoV, there likely our some players not joining epic/affliction due to the.... Map lol

• Like 2

Only speaking for myself here, but when I went to affliction I originally planned on moving to epic - until I got around the map that is... At the time I was still new to the game, but had the basics down, however, the map was....trash. The only spot I found for myself was in a coastal area on the side of the cliff I could have probably made home after a lot of surface mining, but I couldn't live that long enough due to mobs.... And I wasn't extremely satisfied with the area even. So I kept looking and couldn't find a good spot, and decided to head back to freedom.

So from my PoV, there likely our some players not joining epic/affliction due to the.... Map lol

Yea pretty much the same feelings here

Anyone up for posting similar map designs or examples of maps or whatever they think would be great?

We can only dream, also this thread is not about "is it a good idea to reset afflicion" per se, its about "what kind of map should replace it if the poll rolf put up in affliction passes and he will actually do it"

Why so many rivers and waterways?: Because hots is a kingdom excelling in naval combat, their spells and game mechanics are adapted to it and this way the map would complelement the playstyle. Also this way the map is naturally sectioned off into parts that could belong to different alliances or groups, remember this is Hots, they are not always as pacifistic even against each other, even on the home server...

Why all the islands and delta: Because people love to live on them, hermits or small towns can use the added protection of being inside a delta.

• Like 1

Is there a poll on affliction currently? :o or is that just a situation

Yes, but BLH has always had no population probably because there are only about four real spots to deed, and every time someone deeds it, they realize that they are deeding a spot that had already been deeded 5-6 times before, because they cant deed anywhere else.

and those spots are often hit by craters 4-5 times every 3 months, so new players cant ever settle in.

Literally, playing on affliction you have way more disadvantages to advantages, especially when compared with MRH/JKH.

It has like 20% usable land and its already the smallest map and thats keeping in mind that the usable land is already deed ruins.

Edited by Propheteer

it lacks most of the valrei effects, its actually way worse.

when random 40x40 holes pop up in a map that is merely 1000 tiles wide... iow 4% of the total map and hits land, then its quite problematic... especially when the map originally was like 40% water to begin with....

here is a less artsy edition of the map:

ba21e.png

population would not justify the work required, but if it is not too much....

However, not everybody on the server wants his deed destroyed and serenity people have a shitty map too and every reason to cry.

New Epic cluster could learn from the mistakes of affliction.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 3

as i see it we need a bigger map just cause affliction was given to us for the only reason it was to small for elevation. and maybe more ppl will actually finger crossed join bl .i dont agree that everyone should have to live on elevation it will just push away the ppl that just like to craft but can if they wish kill there annoying next door neighbour if they want to.

but most of all i would trade desertion or serenity for this crap map we call home its half the size of the other 2 home servers and is devastated by valrei events would be cool if rolf could give us a map dump of how affliction looks now .

and to the Alec up there yes we are very biased its our home server

but most of all i would trade desertion or serenity for this crap map we call home its half the size of the other 2 home servers and is devastated by valrei events would be cool if rolf could give us a map dump of how affliction looks now .

Actually thats wrong.

its half the length horisontally and vertically...

affliction is 1000x1000 tiles.

the others are 2000x2000.

so its 1 vs 4 (2*2=4, fk yeah! math!)

TLDR: Affliction is merely a quarter of the other servers size. (with 40% water aswell...)

Edited by Zekezor

Best argument ever, map is totally ruined/wasted but we are a seasonal kingdom so it can be ruined forever and there is no need for new players to join.

Gimme a break.