Sign in to follow this  
Youngsoldier

Tame/Dominate/Breed

All animals except Valrei creatures should be tamable/dominable or and thus breedable.

I would like to breed gorillas, thank you.

• Like 1

Champion trolls all around with names and traits. now this sounds good to me

• Like 1

There's reasons why you can't tame or dominate those animals, although some (like lava spider, knowing that lava fiend can be dom'd) are kinda weird, for most it makes sense.

Champion trolls all around with names and traits. now this sounds good to me

You can already dominate Trolls.

There's reasons why you can't tame or dominate those animals, although some (like lava spider, knowing that lava fiend can be dom'd) are kinda weird, for most it makes sense.

You cant breed them, as i stayed AND TRAITS aka the animal breeding traits

+1 to all except non-valrei humanoids (Trolls, goblins-9

You can dominate those already.

You cant breed them, as i stayed AND TRAITS aka the animal breeding traits

This is about allowing all creatures to be tamed and dominated. Which i disagree. The fact that the OP assuming you can breed what you tame, is not really relevant to me.

The suggestion isn't "allow all creatures to be bred" its allow all to be tamed or dom'd.

I disagree in both counts, but i'm sticking to what the OP is suggesting.

Oh please explain to me why hyenas dont breed but a wolf does.

A gorilla would probably be easier to tame than to dominate a troll. Which is smarter?

You can breed trolls.

Wich doesnt really makes too much sense.

What I advocate for, forgetting about the specific OP, is for consistent rules.  The devs should tell us, or themselves, WHAT is the criteria for an animal to be able to be tamed, or dominated, or bred.   Then we (and new players) wouldnt need to know how we can interact with each single mob, but you can make an educated guess, based on "nature facts" within the world of Wurm.

For example, Valrei creatures - Cant be dominated, breeded or tamed, because (insert good exaplanation here)

Intelligent or semi-intelligent humanoids, Can be dominated, but cant be tamed.

Regular Aggro mobs, Can be dominated, can be tamed, but can only be bread under (insert plausible condition here)

Regular Neutral mobs, Can be dominated, can be tamed, can be breed.

This is just an example, in my opinion, having consistent "rules", makes the world more belivable, and this is not a matter of realism, any good sci-fi or fantasy setting is more inmersive if it makes us belive that is really there, and its not just random arbitrary stuff that doesnt interact with eachother and makes no sense in its own world.

This is all BASIC Dungeon Master 101.

• Like 1

Oh please explain to me why hyenas dont breed but a wolf does.

Because Hyenas are the "messengers" of a god, like anacondas, gorillas and boars. These animals are spawned by gods at the god's influence areas, which is why the SHOULDN'T be breed-able or tamable, or whatever.

Its comparable in terms of mythology to a Christian wanting to breed angels.

This is all BASIC Dungeon Master 101.

Well, welcome to Wurm...

Anyhow, in animals you're not entirely right. There's only two inconsistencies that i can think of, and that's Lava spiders and Lava Fiends, you can dominate Fiends but not spiders, although Lore-wise they'd be similar. Even then you could say its because Lava fiends show some intelligence (they can cross unlocked gates, like trolls) which makes them more susceptible to domination.

And again with spiders, the other one would be Spiders and scorpions, Spiders, like their lava counterparts can not be dominated or tamed, while Scorpions can.

Even that can have a plausible explanation, although i don't know it...

Your apparent confusion about God Animals is understandable, but it does make sense that you can't dominate these animals. It would be akin to dominating a Avatar.

Exactly, knowing, or reworking what it would make sense for wurm, would be nice, even if some things get changed, like you said theres a diference between spiders and scorpions.   Maybe the diference services or serviced a mechanic that I dont know, or that is no longer in place (riding).

God animals, you mean like Boars? because that wouldnt be like an avatar at all, in my eyes, I thnk they should be able to be tamed, or dominated.

Someone mentioned breeding zombified animals, I have no experience with that, if it actually happens it doesnt makes much sense to me.

Like I said, I dont particularly go for realism, or even logic, but we could start promoting some consisten Wogic, not only regarding taming/dominating/breeding, but mob behaviour and habilities in general. (mobs that can or cant swim for example, that is another list that could be reviewed)

As far as I know, nothing new would have to be created really, just looking at the current mobs and their properties, and finding a consisten way to apply them.   Im not sure how important mobs are in PvP, but in PvE its a major way of interacting with the enviroment, and I think they should be looked at again.   Not to ADD anything, or to make any serious changes, but just to update them to make them more "belivable" as wurmian fauna, and not just as entities that exist in a vaccum.

The god animals have no lore or function other than Rolf making a statement four years ago. They roam the gods lands? Why? To Protect followers?

Why would they protect followers when tower guards are useless? They should be made normal animals imho. There is no real lore to back it up.

Where did turtles enter the lore? Cuz devs decided.

• Like 1

I like this but i would really only want lava spiders and normal spiders added to the list. I mean come on its such a pain to move a champion spider around deed for lighting or scaring newbs.

• Like 1

Hi,

What I advocate for, forgetting about the specific OP, is for consistent rules.

• Like 1

Hi,

That's it. Too much has been messed with taming, it's a rather useless skill now, compared to "before".

Why shouldn't a priest be able to tame his own gods animal?

I assume that is due to the fact that they are kingdom aligned creatures, which gives them that special status.

Why are tamed animals now castrated into oblivion, even on PvE?

Lack of a code split.

Why does a tamed champ, even at 60+ taming level, even on PvE, now untame within 30 minutes?

It being a champ really doesn't matter much, its agressive vs non agressive creatures that causes the main split. A champ unicorn will last a long time.

Why can I dominate a troll or scorp, but no way for a spider?

Always thought dominate was for "monsters", I guess Rolf considers spiders less monsterous than scorpions

• Like 1

The god animals have no lore or function other than Rolf making a statement four years ago. They roam the gods lands? Why? To Protect followers?

Why would they protect followers when tower guards are useless? They should be made normal animals imho. There is no real lore to back it up.

Where did turtles enter the lore? Cuz devs decided.

*Ahem* You must be confused a bit...

Who exactly do you think writes the lore in any game? God? The Prophet? Universal knowledge?

I miss ridable zombie spiders.

I think this is probably the reason why spiders aren't on the dominate-able list. I think they might have been meant as sort of an exclusive thing for Hots. But that's before my time, so.

Hi,

That's it. Too much has been messed with taming, it's a rather useless skill now, compared to "before".

Why are tamed animals now castrated into oblivion, even on PvE?

Why does a tamed champ, even at 60+ taming level, even on PvE, now untame within 30 minutes?

Why can I dominate a troll or scorp, but no way for a spider?

If taming cannot be balanced for PvP, why not just disabling it there? Why messing around with a previous rather interesting skill, and making it useless for the majority of the population?

I'd rather see taming/ dominating/ rebirth/ charming be redone completely. One version for PvP, and another, less restricted version for PvE.

With consistent rules, yes.

Have fun!

PS: For our newer players: Not this long ago it was a wise choice for newbies to have a dog (preferably) tamed. It helped a lot in fighting, and acted as a great tank. This way new players had a help in fighting, and a goal.

They had the full combat rating, not -50% for taming, and another -50% for lead, as it is now.

This was changed some year ago for certain reason.

I have to agree with this 100% though. Back in GV i fought a pack of wolves alone simply by taming one of them, and using it to tank while i spanked. (Do note GV is max ql 20 items, i wasn't anywhere near 20 FS, my items weren't ql 20 and i didn't have full armor, just ql 10 chain legs and boots, cause at that time failing a item meant losing all the materials, so making any type of armor at low skill meant a lot of material and tries).

I actually bred dogs, then wolves, then bears, so i could keep a healthy stock of pets. Nowadays its just for show. Back then having a champ dog (removed god knows why) meant that within GV you couldn't lose any fight. After i left GV i started taming brown bears, and i used them to tank, which allowed me to kill most mobs. I remember a guy that had a pet champ bear and used it to kill Champ trolls. That's how awesome pets were.

Why shouldn't a priest be able to tame his own gods animal?

Cause of balance. Libila can't tame at all. So its not really fair. And even with a code-split, i don't really mind not being able to tame those few animals.

What could be done is that as a random reward (like gems, coins, salt, etc) from praying you'd get:

"<Your god> has sent one of his/her servants to protect you."

At this point a tamed god-beast would spawn nearby and would work as your pet with a random tame power. As soon as it went untamed, it would die with no corpse behind.

Edited by KanePT

^ Really?

There is no lore for god animals, why would they be meant to protect land as a npc when they nerfed tower guards to move 1 km?  Makes no sense, they should just be turned to regular animals and be given functionality. There is no lore about them god animals they are just a useless appendage that was added and never refined...