Sign in to follow this  
Jberg

FISH IN FOOD STORAGE BINS!

+1

I'm very fond of the idea of drying racks, for variety and practicality's sake, but I wouldn't mind a smoke-oven or some other means of keeping the dozens of fish I seem accumulate from rotting away so quickly. Seeing as how the devs seem to have been going for a "sea based" theme lately this would be the perfect time to implement something like this.

Edited by Rudamiester

I'd be inclined to get rid of all the extra mechanics such as smoking, and drying racks, and simply have fish fillets as a fsbable item with a size of .3 kgs, being able to become generic items with generic weight is an issue that would bother all fishing endeavours, so cutting it down to fillets with a unified weight removes fears of easily stockpiling thousands of meat, by only having carp[/catfish/rares able to be stored.

bump for a needed feature :)

Edited by Kegan

+1 (added like before I'd read more than the OP)

I'm rather fond of the idea of drying racks and woodscrap-fuelled smokehouses that could preserve fish AND meat filets. I'm sure these could give higher difficulty to HFC than plain meat. And it would be nice to have the option of oak-smoked filet of fish-type (losing smoke-type in FSB, and meat/fish type as cooked meat does now).

Scope for added complexity, but if nothing else, PLEASE allow some way of FSBing fish.

No word from the dev team?

They already have. In I believe the last Christmas question and answer thread this question came up. Rolf answered it by deferring to Tich. She said something along the lines that she won't do it till she reworks the entire cooking system. And Rolf seems to be hinting that only Tich will be allowed to do it.

imo, this should be done way before some complete rework of cooking. I'd like to see something very similar to cooked meat, called cooked fish. Putting fish in the heating object turns it into cooked fish. Cooked fish goes in the food storage bin and has the same weight, volume, size as a cooked meat. I realize it will take many roaches or perch to equal one standards sized cooked fish. We have a lot of evidence that cooked meat works very well thus it would work well for cooked fish.

I don't want filets in the bin because that makes it less useful for players to sell butchering skill training materials. Selling a bulk cooked fish that can be filleted would be more useful for the players. I guess fillets would be okay as long as whole fish work too.

I don't want filets in the bin because that makes it less useful for players to sell butchering skill training materials. Selling a bulk cooked fish that can be filleted would be more useful for the players. I guess fillets would be okay as long as whole fish work too.

Good point. Perhaps processed filets (dried fish/smoked fish - not listed as filets) could stack to the same weight as cooked meat in the FSB ? 0.9kg so 3 filets worth.

Prepared fish in food bins?! This is madness!

Good point. Perhaps processed filets (dried fish/smoked fish - not listed as filets) could stack to the same weight as cooked meat in the FSB ? 0.9kg so 3 filets worth.

huh, I think their is some confusion here? Maybe we are talking about the same thing. It's just your calling it a fillet so it confuses me.

A processed-fish/cooked-fish that is a bulk food item and has a standard weight, volume, and size which is equal to a cooked meat would be good.

A filet doesn't usually provide for an opportunity to practice butchering. I'm trying to point out that storing whole fish, and whole in this case is a standard sized bulk fish item that can be filled, increases the utility of fish. Players can buy bulk orders of whole bulk fish to practice butchering.

I mainly hope here that Wurm respects how player like to collect in the thousands. I've feared the Dev's would implement some overly complicated process to convert fish into a bulk food item. Some complication would be good to offset how much easier it is to get fish compared to meat. But I hope they don't go over board.

+1 Why is this not already so? i can kill like 10 buffalo in the time it takes to catch a handful of fish. Most of the buffalo would be fat and give like 11 meat. Then if I wanted to I could fillet and you would triple that. There is plenty of meat if we can store it now who cares if we can throw fish in there too. (Yes I know you can't store fillets, but my point is it's faster to fillet than catch fish)

Btw I don't really care much if this gets implemented but it makes sense and I'm just looking out for all you seal farmers.

+1 Liking the fishing rack idea. It would be nice to see what fish you've caught afterwards, just for the people who like to fish though. Storing fish is a good idea, it gets rid a daily chore anyways. Just stock up on fish if you need it to feed your animals, and just go fish daily if you want to level up your fishing. It works great both ways. :lol:

Fish are friends, not food.

In all seriousness though, why not make a new item called a smokehouse. Able to smoke and preserve both meat and fish. Add some time and decay parameters that differ from the FSB and presto...moar eye candy and complex game play for the nerds to love.

So what problem needs to be "removed" for this to possibly happen?

+1.  I live on a hill no where near a lake, but I agree that its silly not having a place to bulk fish.

The old rotting fish smell continues to bring this suggestion to the attention of all within breathing distance. No need for any elaborate mechanisms either. Cook fish the same as meat, it combines into numbers of cooked fish, cool it and into the bin it goes, just the same as cooked meat. Done. Next?

=Ayes=

• Like 2

+1, because of all the arguments said above, and I would like to have a fishing smoking hut near my house :)

Tomorrow it will be a year since I put in a suggestion about fishing items - Fishing Items - Some items were added since then just not an ability to store the fish in FSB's. So time to finally do this, its been asked about 100 times or more, not sure why it was never done.

+1 here

short term I have a fish cart,   an ordinary large cart which I've filled with satchels, each satchel can hold 90 fillet and the fillet decay way way slower than the original fish.