Sign in to follow this  
Jberg

FISH IN FOOD STORAGE BINS!

4 hours, 21 likes on the OP. I think that says something.

Have never or eaten or used fish because using them is such a total pain.

+1 to storing cooked/smoked/salted/etc fish. As long as the fish has been processed then I don't see why it should be treated differently from processed (cooked) meat.

Edited by Ecrir

+10000

Always, always wanted this in Wurm. I love fishing, but they way things are currently, it just isn't as efficient as hunting. Collect up 200 cooked meat and you're set for weeks/months. (Generally only eat 1 meat+pumpkin meal per real day, so thats 200 days worth of food for me in just an hour say)

I don't agree with having to smoke/salt the fish though. The added time/difficulty with that removes a lot of the benefits of storing fish in the first place, unless of course you can smoke hundreds of fish in a short period of time with little effort.

I would say you should just be able to cook then store the fish, maybe as fillets to account for the larger fish.

• Like 1

Well why does it matter though is there a huge meat market? I know i have always had more then i could ever use so why does it matter any if i can easily store my fish too?  That is like saying you can't store pumpkins but you can store all the other crops there is no need for that restriction in my opinion.  

Anyway i am planning on trading the seals out for turtles once i can find them but still i see no reason to not allow fish to be kept just think on all the new fish that is going to be piled up now for the seals at least in a fsb it does not stack up more items for server load. 

Comparing it to pumpkins means you still aren't getting what I meant. I am not talking about the weight of a meal, but the number of meals you can make from meat and fish. Ill clarify a bit more.

Fillets are .3 of every meat/fish. you can use 1 fillet in a meal. Fish produce more fillets. It makes grinding meals much easier when you can use fish. But to equalize out the amount of fillets of fish to meat, they made fish decay quicker. That way you had to use them sooner instead of stock piling thousands of fillets. Its the same reason Fillets of meat cant be FSBed either.

In 5 hours i have brought back 4 thousand+ kilograms of fish(back when I was only level 55 fishing). That's roughly 9-12k fillets, expecting to lose some weight because of max 50 fillets*. I want to see some one do the same with meat in 5 hours and I will +1

*This cap was put in because they felt fishing was overpowered when you could easily produce over that from a shark or other large fish.

Comparing it to pumpkins means you still aren't getting what I meant. I am not talking about the weight of a meal, but the number of meals you can make from meat and fish. Ill clarify a bit more.

Fillets are .3 of every meat/fish. you can use 1 fillet in a meal. Fish produce more fillets. It makes grinding meals much easier when you can use fish. But to equalize out the amount of fillets of fish to meat, they made fish decay quicker. That way you had to use them sooner instead of stock piling thousands of fillets. Its the same reason Fillets of meat cant be FSBed either.

In 5 hours i have brought back 4 thousand+ kilograms of fish(back when I was only level 55 fishing). That's roughly 9-12k fillets, expecting to lose some weight because of max 50 fillets*. I want to see some one do the same with meat in 5 hours and I will +1

*This cap was put in because they felt fishing was overpowered when you could easily produce over that from a shark or other large fish.

No, no one needs to do anything for you to +1 this suggestion, you are simply wrong, and if you cant see it, I guess it your loss.

+1 to the OP, lets store fish so its consistent with all other types of meat.

I will use yesterday example, what happened to me.

I saw seal and I wanted to tame him. Short run to sea, and I started fishing, six actions and repair. After 17 minutes I had 2 tiny 0.09 kg fish. Yes, my Fishing is only 34 now and that pole was not best too (my 97 skill fisher was 6 hours sailing away).

In that 17 minutes I could kill, butcher and bury 20 cows/bulls roaming around. For 10-15 meats from each. But seal like only fish, not meat from cows ...

From my point of view, hunting for meat is much, much, much, much faster than fishing, if you know how and where. I think your "fishing is faster" is not valid...

Btw, how many times shark bitten you badly and you were poisoned close to death? Fishing special fish can be dangerous sometimes.

my +1for some way to store fish meat

Edited by Zakerak
  • Like 2

No, no one needs to do anything for you to +1 this suggestion, you are simply wrong, and if you cant see it, I guess it your loss.

+1 to the OP, lets store fish so its consistent with all other types of meat.

The person who started the thread opened it to us to put our input. And Im sorry but when you say I am WRONG for stating my opinion AND supporting it with my experience? How am I wrong for having an opposite opinion from you?

Btw, how many times shark bitten you badly and you were poisoned close to death? Fishing special fish can be dangerous sometimes.

Been bitten quite a bit :P ever died from it? nope. Ive always healed naturally from it. I guess I wont say more since ill just get yelled at for providing my evidence. Sorry to of posted my opinion and experiences.

Edited by Nicrolis

Well i don't think anyone disagrees with you that fish is easier to obtain but what does it matter is what i am not seeing i guess. Its not like cooking or having a large stockpile of fish is going to get you some great advantage in the game other than maybe SD but even that requires a lot more effort than just fishing to obtain.  

The person who started the thread opened it to us to put our input. And Im sorry but when you say I am WRONG for stating my opinion AND supporting it with my experience? How am I wrong for having an opposite opinion from you?

Been bitten quite a bit :P ever died from it? nope. Ive always healed naturally from it. I guess I wont say more since ill just get yelled at for providing my evidence. Sorry to of posted my opinion and experiences.

Yes, I was a douche when I answered you, sorry for that.  But wouldnt it be great to have mechanics that are consistent?

• Like 1

+1 because we need this since forever and I said so. There, two reasons for the price of 1.

Yes, I was a douche when I answered you, sorry for that.  But wouldnt it be great to have mechanics that are consistent?

I appreciate the apology, you got my respect for that, not many people would admit that like you did. To the last part, I guess it would be nice, maybe allow fillets to be Fsbed then. The way fish work compared to meat, fish weight is proportional to the Ql. Not sure how well that would work with an FSB. But with fillets they are always .3kg each.

Edit:

Well i don't think anyone disagrees with you that fish is easier to obtain but what does it matter is what i am not seeing i guess. Its not like cooking or having a large stockpile of fish is going to get you some great advantage in the game other than maybe SD but even that requires a lot more effort than just fishing to obtain.  

I really dont have a good response other than, the market(the one that kinda exists), would switch from buying meat to buying fish instead. And with how much is produced I can see a decline in the price. On the other hand this might be a good thing for new people to make money. You're changing my mind... stop it.

Edit2: I hate you all +1.

Reasons that changed my mind:

1. New people will have a way to make money that doesn't involve combat.

2. It will allow the skill to be more useful to other people, not just those who use meat quickly.

3. I'll be able to hold on to fish instead of leaving them to rot when grinding the skill.

Edited by Nicrolis

The way fish work compared to meat, fish weight is proportional to the Ql. Not sure how well that would work with an FSB. But with fillets they are always .3kg each.

This is the trouble we have with the fish that has kept it from being stored in a fsb i would imagine and what needs to get figured out. This is why i had suggested the drying rack to dry out the fillets into a dried fish that then can be stored in a fsb and have the same unified weight like cooked meat.  

Edited by Kegan

I've never even bothered to try fishing, simply because of the inability to store fish. I will if this changes.

Storing fillets would be the way, or normalizing fishes weight once you bin them, like logs for example, if I enter 5 logs of 10kg into a bin, I will have 50kgs of logs, and when I take 1 log out, it will have 24kgs.

Provided there is a "standard" weight for fish, the same system could be applied.

Edit: Also logs are separate in the type of tree, as fish could be separated by what species it is.

Edited by Rathgar
  • Like 1

This is the trouble we have with the fish that has kept it from being stored in a fsb i would imagine and what needs to get figured out. This is why i had suggested the drying rack to dry out the fillets into a dried fish that then can be stored in a fsb and have the same unified weight like cooked meat.  

I don't think it should be any trouble at all.  If you take a huge combined lump of metal and stuff it in a BSB, the BSB divides it up into perfect little lumps.  Not sure why a cooked fish would be any different.  The FSB would simply divide it up into equal portions.  In regards to the QL to size piece, BSBs and FSBs can already do fun things like recalculating QL based on how much decay needs to be erased, so Devs could handle this easy enough.

When it comes to programming, the only things that a good developer can't do are the things that nobody has thought of to suggest.

Fish, as the currently are, have different weights based on their QL. So they cant just be split up as easily as other items.

Edited by Nicrolis

I don't think it should be any trouble at all.  If you take a huge combined lump of metal and stuff it in a BSB, the BSB divides it up into perfect little lumps.  Not sure why a cooked fish would be any different.  The FSB would simply divide it up into equal portions.  In regards to the QL to size piece, BSBs and FSBs can already do fun things like recalculating QL based on how much decay needs to be erased, so Devs could handle this easy enough.

When it comes to programming, the only things that a good developer can't do are the things that nobody has thought of to suggest.

Well that is fine but i would still prefer a drying system over cooking just for a variety in the process..more things to have fun with. It does not have to be fillets you can dry out the whole fish and just portion out the weight in the fsb like you have suggested and sounds like a better system anyway.

This would make it so we have cooked meat and dried fish that can both be stored and give the newbies a new way to have stored meat without needing FS to feed themselves  :)  

Edited by Kegan

-1 to the drying rack, means ill have to make a rare one of it to complete my rare kitchen -_-

jk Ive always supported the drying racks. As you said, would add more variety to the game, and could possibly fix the ql/weight issue.

Edited by Nicrolis

+1

Seen it suggested in the past and it's a great idea.

Like cooked meat - cooked (or even salted?) fish

+1 but I don't want another items cluttering up my house or another step in the process of getting fish in a fsb just because it is fish. Doesn't make sense to me. Just cook them and dump them in. I feel that is the right thing to do for anything that looks like I could plop it in my mouth, get some nourishment out of it and doesn't fit in a bsb.

-1 I fish quite a bit. You can get massive amounts of fish just sitting out for an hour. If you add in the special spots that give heavier fish, thats even more. I think the decay rate of fish balances the game nicely with the amount you can get.

If you're afraid of your seal dying, go fish for 10-30 minutes. Even at 40 fishing you should be able to get enough to sate it for a couple days.

If we can cook meat to store it there is no reason why we should not also be able to preserve the fish we catch.... just like we preserve the meat we get through Hunting. If I am afraid my horse is going to starve I can go out and gather mixed grass to feed him... then store the extra mixed grass in a BSB. How about that?

Low Tech, fits right in with wood scraps.... hey! ... now we got another use for them wood scraps... fuel the new smokers with all the wood scraps we got shoved in hidey holes.

+1 to Fish Smoking

+1 to being able to put Smoked Fish in FSBs

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

If we can cook meat to store it there is no reason why we should not also be able to preserve the fish we catch.... just like we preserve the meat we get through Hunting.

Low Tech, fits right in with wood scraps.... hey! ... now we got another use for them wood scraps..

+1 to Fish Smoking

+1 to being able to put Smoked Fish in FSBs

should read the rest of the thread :P lots of discussion from me and others explaining more.