Sign in to follow this  
Zambra

Help with canal entrance

I've tried to make an entrance into an underground harbor 2-3 times...I thought that this last time I had the right shape as I had surface mined the top flat, chose a tile that was 2/3 underwater, and mined from the inside out.  The tunnel on the right is my latest try at this.  Sailboats have no trouble entering, but the knarr gets stuck everytime.  I'm not trying to get anything larger than the knarr inside without pushing.  I've asked on Freedoma and CA, also looked everywhere---I suspect it has to do with a height check on the tile.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kBw5b5J.jpg

Always mine out , create an entrance else where then mine out creating a flat bottom .

I did that...mined ceiling and then mined down till I couldn't anymore right before the entrance.  Then I mined out the tile heading out of the mine.  I'm not quite sure if I'm being too greedy with the knarr not being able to go in as I could just push it, but don't really know anything else to do other than pick another tile---which I'm not gonna try again for a while until I know the reason for the failure.   Do any of the tiles adjacent to the entrance need to be mined out?

the key is mining one tile in front to make the target tile the face. jmho

Knarrs will always stuck in cave docks entrances, i think is because knarrs are in fact more than 1 tile wide regardless what wiki say.

Even outside if you make a canal 1 tile wide only and the side walls are high enough(around or more than 120 slopes iirc) you can get the ship stuck some times.

Knarrs getting stuck is a fairly new thing, even on entrances where they use to fluidly pass into. Unfortunately I do not know what has caused the recent change. Fortunately the smaller ships seem to be fine.

One can get around this by dragging or push/pull (and crossing the cave border).

Overall though it sounds like the entrance was mined out well, and the knarr can be sailed within the tunnel (once you have gotten it by the entrance) as long as the water tiles are mined to the max depth allowed with a pick.

Edited by Klaa

Your tunnel is as good as it gets. The issue is the knarr itself - they are notoriously difficult to line up correctly as what you see is not what the game sees many times in terms of how it is aligned on the tiles. The knarr isn't actually getting stuck on either the bottom or the top (height has no effect whatsoever), but it hangs on the side. On the inside mine out the tiles on either side to make it at least 3 wide, and with practice you should usually sail straight in. You need to be extremely well lined up though - any crookedness and bam - side wall...stuck.

i can only add what i've experienced regardless of mine entrance geometry.  At one time not too long ago..couple months or so..it seemed knarrs could pass rather easily....then after an update..about 2 or 3 back from current...knarrs would get stuck and had to be push/pulled or dragged over threshold then boarded and resume sailing.

What about other big ships ? does they still stuck at entrances every time ?

I believe the main issue either just changed, or is about to. It's the collision mechanic.

Big ships have a depth problem because you can't mine down an entrance deep enough that they don't catch. But the secondary, and in the case of the knarr, problem is that the point of collision impact until now is/was based on where the commander is. A knarr is 4 tiles long, with the commander on about the 3rd tile. This means that the front is "hitting" the rockwall before the client realizes that the collision point has arrived and "sees" the space.

The collision point on boats is being moved to the front of the boat, rather than the driver. This might alleviate some of the problems.

large boats though have too much draft - more than the maximum mine depth allowed - and you can't dredge rock that I know of. :)