Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Rolf - How to increase your profits overnight

I don´t get all this concept of how p2w is such a bad thing.

Why should we all be communist or something like that? If I pay 10e while some random dude drops 300e in the game helping to pay bills and development then he should have some advantage.

Why a cheap bastard like me should feel entitled to get same benefits than someone paying 2x or 10x more money?

If someone wants to spend 1000 euros on sleep powders and skill weapon smith 10 times faster than me, so be it, the money he drops helps the game and in the end helps me.

Because games are inherently about competing with other people within a fixed ruleset. If there is no level playing field, there is no point to it. Pay to win makes the game not about ingame actions, but about who drops the most money on it, which doesnt require any game effort or challenge, it goes against the very concept of "games".

Edited by Judicator

Because games are inherently about competing with other people within a fixed ruleset. If there is no level playing field, there is no point to it. Pay to win makes the game not about ingame actions, but about who drops the most money on it, which doesnt require any game effort or challenge, it goes against the very concept of "games".

Sandbox games are one of the rare examples, where competition is not part of the code itself, you can compete with your friends to see who climbed the highest mountain or who can emote a fart the most times in 1 hour, but that is YOUR particular set of goals, and your competitive mind.

And regarding pay to win, (to, not two), Wurm is also a rare example, since the in-game currency is directly linked to RL currency, and there are ways to make in-game profit (with RL value).    That blurs the line a lot.   A definite pay to win concept, for me, would be an item that is sold only with RL money, in the wurm shop, and cant be aquired in-game by any other means.    If such an item would give an advantage, that would certainly be pay to win.    All the other things that can be purchased directly in-game, with in-game currency is.... I wouldnt call it pay to win, but a fat wallet definitely gives you an edge.

Regarding the OP,   Id like to see the mail system fixed, but "How to increase your profits overnight", is a thread that I would have locked on sight if I was a FM.   Its not the OPs place, and I highly doubt the OP has the slightest idea of how Code Club manages its revenues.

• Like 1

For me there is no "winning" in playing Wurm. It is all just pure enjoyment of the creative features of the game that appeal to me. Paying for certain items I will do at times if they give me a creative advantage, usually in the form of time saving tool enchants or skill gain bonus.

Other than that I just pay for my deed upkeep and other items are of no interest to me, except to sell for more coins to put into deed upkeep. Yes, building and enhancing my deeds is what I do and at times the local area as well. It all depends upon ones own mindset and focus, so I suppose some will find some way to see a winning aspect to the game but I can't relate to that.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I don´t want to talk about pvp items, mainly because I have 0 interest on pvp side of wurm, but some things like shaker orbs or mc are clearly over priced, and I honestly think if they where at a more reasonable price people will buy a lot of it.

Shaker orbs above all should be probably around 50-75c each, I can easily see someone expending even 10s in 15-20 Shaker Orbs to fix a deed mine, but wen you face a 5s per cost tile you let it either naturally collapse or live with the mistakes. And thats 10s less the game gets.

• Like 2

I don´t want to talk about pvp items, mainly because I have 0 interest on pvp side of wurm, but some things like shaker orbs or mc are clearly over priced, and I honestly think if they where at a more reasonable price people will buy a lot of it.

Shaker orbs above all should be probably around 50-75c each, I can easily see someone expending even 10s in 15-20 Shaker Orbs to fix a deed mine, but wen you face a 5s per cost tile you let it either naturally collapse or live with the mistakes. And thats 10s less the game gets.

Cheapening shaker orbs reduces the usefulness of Mag priests. Bad idea :P

Shaker orbs or any other items? No. Purely sleep powder and not to cheap either, just available in the shop.

Someone said it before, pay 2 win is something that is only available in the shop and not in game.

Again, I wouldn't buy them, just suggesting it as a better idea the a sub increase the next time it comes around. I'd like to think it as more money means more development.

We've been getting lots of new stuff lately and "backers" so to speak put a lot of money into games.

Just a completely wild idea of ways for Rolf to make more money... add more moneysinks. Even if limited to stuff thats almost completely aesthetic.

Such can be anything really: the silver hand mirrors, rename options (along with some public/private tracking), skill transfer, etc

Too easy mailing will kill the interactivity of wurm, and eventually the game. If you don't have to move to trade anymore, wurm is just another singleplayer game with endless grinding. Short-term more money, mid-term the death of wurm.

That's stupid. Mailing is nice when you need to buy single items. Buying sets of armor, or bulk items over mail won't happen. I mean the mailing fee for a set of armor would be equal or higher than the cost of the armor.

The original poster is right. The way mail works has no rhyme or reason, its too random to have a sense behind it. And it improves nothing in the game.

i'm in no spot to suggest to Rolf what he should be doing..as I've not developed and run and maintained a game and i suspect many of the "armchair experts" haven't either either.  That said i'm thinking a reduction in premium cost for characters could be compensated in a revenue stream easily with the addiction of vanity items and customization packs in the shop.   This would skyrocket the revenue stream without heavily burdening the general player base monthy budget to play.  People LOVE to be unique and have special things in game and won't thing twice about custome store bought "vanity" items.  this way  you increase revenues without mandating a heavier cost on the player.  What i have in mind is sell things like hand mirrors, hair and face templates that only can be had via store purchase.."premium cosmetics" if you will.  I'm thinking you sell fancier vanity clothing and crowns and tents.  when someone sees these things..they will want them too or to make their character even more unique than others with a variety of combinations of store bought add-ons.  would like to hear opinions on this.

• Like 1

i'm in no spot to suggest to Rolf what he should be doing..as I've not developed and run and maintained a game and i suspect many of the "armchair experts" haven't either either. That said i'm thinking a reduction in premium cost for characters could be compensated in a revenue stream easily with the addiction of vanity items and customization packs in the shop. This would skyrocket the revenue stream without heavily burdening the general player base monthy budget to play. People LOVE to be unique and have special things in game and won't thing twice about custome store bought "vanity" items. this way you increase revenues without mandating a heavier cost on the player. What i have in mind is sell things like hand mirrors, hair and face templates that only can be had via store purchase.."premium cosmetics" if you will. I'm thinking you sell fancier vanity clothing and crowns and tents. when someone sees these things..they will want them too or to make their character even more unique than others with a variety of combinations of store bought add-ons. would like to hear opinions on this.

This has been suggested so many times the biggest genius on earth would have lost track.

We all want to be different from our neighbor. Right now, we get different guard towers, or paint things, or buy a different type if wagon. Because a lot of us (or only a few, who knows) like to be different. Look at the post in free guard towers, holy crap they took off!

Now, picture if in some way devs made different wagons, towers, flags, decor, items, clothing, vanity, costumes, what have you... Maybe it's a good thing I don't run a game company, because if it were me, if be pumping them out until I could hire a person or two to solely focus on this part, while the rest of my team did the norm.

While I may be wrong, I strongly believe if they did this and gave us options, they'd be making more then they do right now overall.

• Like 3

i'm in no spot to suggest to Rolf what he should be doing..as I've not developed and run and maintained a game and i suspect many of the "armchair experts" haven't either either.  That said i'm thinking a reduction in premium cost for characters could be compensated in a revenue stream easily with the addiction of vanity items and customization packs in the shop.   This would skyrocket the revenue stream without heavily burdening the general player base monthy budget to play.  People LOVE to be unique and have special things in game and won't thing twice about custome store bought "vanity" items.  this way  you increase revenues without mandating a heavier cost on the player.  What i have in mind is sell things like hand mirrors, hair and face templates that only can be had via store purchase.."premium cosmetics" if you will.  I'm thinking you sell fancier vanity clothing and crowns and tents.  when someone sees these things..they will want them too or to make their character even more unique than others with a variety of combinations of store bought add-ons.  would like to hear opinions on this.

Sounds great! I certainly wouldn't spend any money on somethings like this but if others would I am all for it, as it might be a remote possibility that others would pay for these stuffs. More ways for the game to make income instead of giving it away would certainly help.

=Ayes=

This has been suggested so many times the biggest genius on earth would have lost track.

We all want to be different from our neighbor. Right now, we get different guard towers, or paint things, or buy a different type if wagon. Because a lot of us (or only a few, who knows) like to be different. Look at the post in free guard towers, holy crap they took off!

Now, picture if in some way devs made different wagons, towers, flags, decor, items, clothing, vanity, costumes, what have you... Maybe it's a good thing I don't run a game company, because if it were me, if be pumping them out until I could hire a person or two to solely focus on this part, while the rest of my team did the norm.

While I may be wrong, I strongly believe if they did this and gave us options, they'd be making more then they do right now overall.

Yeah they would.

This is the reason why free to play games are successful. Look at League of Legends. the RP shop offers 2 things that the players can't buy ingame: That's time and Skins. Time comes in the form of champions, champion packs, and RP/exp boosters. All these items don't make you stronger, or give you something you can't get ingame, You can buy champions ingame, and you can earn exp without the boosters, it just takes longer.

And Skins, although you can earn some, you need to buy most, and yet you'll be hard-pressed to play a game where at least one champion on one team doesn't have a skin. The fact that it was F2P was such an advantage that DOTA2 had to change to F2P as well to remain competitive.

Regardless of intent, Wurm IS a free to play game, its possible, and in fact not too hard to play the game without investing any cash into it, just time, so why not take up that mantle for real, and start taking the game onto a more lucrative direction?

Sounds great! I certainly wouldn't spend any money on somethings like this but if others would I am all for it, as it might be a remote possibility that others would pay for these stuffs. More ways for the game to make income instead of giving it away would certainly help.

=Ayes=

Remote? Are you even playing Wurm? Do you not see people paying absurd ammounts of money for kingdom wagons, Kingdom flags, Kingdom towers, HOTA statues, and even kingdoms themselves just to have a shot at having a unique look. Even for rare items that do nothing but have a faint glow, people will pay absurd ammounts. Won't mention drake and seryl, that although i'm sure many people wear for looks, it does have a use other than cosmetic.

And by now you should know that anything bought in this game has a pretty defined exchange rate to actual money, since its not uncommon for people to sell ingame currency.

Edited by KanePT
  • Like 1

One small inaccuracy Kane, but it's a very common misconception: DotA 2 has been free to play since before the release, it was just a closed beta, but with so many keys it was practically open.

Regardless of intent, Wurm IS a free to play game, its possible, and in fact not too hard to play the game without investing any cash into it, just time, so why not take up that mantle for real, and start taking the game onto a more lucrative direction?

Wurm really isn't free to play. Someone has to pay for your premium, and being non-prem is pretty much an infinite trial.

Unless you count the ability to pray for irons as a reasonable way to make enough for premium, in which case sure, its f2p.

Do you think that in other F2P games other people don't have to pay (via Micro-Transactions) for themselves and the ones that don't use the micro-transactions? They aren't running a charity, they're running businesses that more often than not are quite more lucrative than Wurm.

I'm not entirely sure what the suggestion was here so +1 to bigger mailboxes in Wurm.

Do you think that in other F2P games other people don't have to pay (via Micro-Transactions) for themselves and the ones that don't use the micro-transactions? They aren't running a charity, they're running businesses that more often than not are quite more lucrative than Wurm.

I'm not entirely sure what the suggestion was here so +1 to bigger mailboxes in Wurm.

Edited by Wurmhole

Not everyone has the time to spend 4-5 hours sailing to pickup or deliver items.  This is a game to be enjoyed.

Also my first thought on hearing about the towers was not about an exploit but "Oh I like those designs, how come we don't get them in the game that *I* pay for.  One of those would look nice at my deed in Xanadu"

Hmmm, perhaps I should point to the PE Delivery sign?   Fees start at 1s/trip depending on distance to be travelled.  Travelling from one side to another on xanadu will be more expensive.  Feel free to contact Baloo or myself, Lando, in game for a price estimate.  We can also offer storage services at a variety of locations around wurm so that your client can pick up when it's convenient to them.