Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Rolf - How to increase your profits overnight

Make trade easier, not harder.  People buy coins from YOU, which they use to buy cool stuff from other players.  When it becomes too hard or take way too long to get those cool things, They don't really need to buy coins from YOU anymore.

Oh, lets not forget the mailing fee.  Don't you want MORE mailing to happen so you get MORE coins?

I promise if you fix the mail system to become more useful, you will make significantly more coins, to spend in real life, terraforming your own empire.

• Like 3

People dont buy coins from rolf because players will always be cheaper

People dont always buy from players as some dont trust every player, you might have 331 posts, but I wouldnt buy from you since I have no clue who you are, for instance.

• Like 1

oh? Where do players get their coins from?  I have yet to see a craft option for coins in this game.  Players can do the coin drain dance with traders, but they had to buy trader contracts and deeds to get that option.  Every time a transaction happens in Wurm, it all leads back to Rolf.

People are also quite less reliable.  Can't count the times I've organized a trade and the seller is late, MIA, or sold it to someone else but was too cowardly to tell me.  I use bitcoin and buy from the shop.

Still mad tieh th 5s fee for changing deed's name.

So when you buy a deed, and it has a wierd name, don't forget to put more 5s on the final balance.

Too much imao, almost robbery.

How is trading hard? and do you have any ideas on how to make it better?

• Like 1

Too easy mailing will kill the interactivity of wurm, and eventually the game. If you don't have to move to trade anymore, wurm is just another singleplayer game with endless grinding. Short-term more money, mid-term the death of wurm.

Edited by Judicator
  • Like 1

Too easy mailing will kill the interactivity of wurm, and eventually the game. If you don't have to move to trade anymore, wurm is just another singleplayer game with endless grinding. Short-term more money, mid-term the death of wurm.

Yeah, the god-awful sailing is interactive. The crossing borders where you lag, possibly crash, and get thrown out of your boat is really great. Making something to reduce this is going to kill Wurm.

Yup.

• Like 7

If you want people to deliver goods instead of mailing them then they should implement a courier contract system like Eve Online.  You can either deliver the items yourself or you can pay for another player to come pick it up and deliver it all within a safe framework in the game system.  THAT gives immersion and interaction...

• Like 6

Yeah, the god-awful sailing is interactive.

It is, when you take and drop of passengers, or when there's an actual trade to conduct where you're going. You meet folks sometimes, too!

Mailing is like ordering from Amazon - you buy from a name without a face. I've done it, enjoyed the convenience, marvelled at all the different stuff popping up in my mailbox within minutes.

Have I interacted with people more deeply than that through mail-order trades? No.

Every single instance of a face-to-face trade was an adventure of going places, seeing people, having a conversation, sometimes haggling, sometimes topping off an order with a nice extra. Every single one face-to-face trade gives me something to remember another player by.

Now tell me, which kind of trade is more interactive again?

People get so addicted to exploits (and yes, selling towers and stuff is an exploit, don't tell me you didn't think the same the first time you heard of it), even take ownership of those, that they feel entitled to keeping them in the game forever.

Edited by Marshlander

It is, when you take and drop of passengers, or when there's an actual trade to conduct where you're going. You meet folks sometimes, too!

Mailing is like ordering from Amazon - you buy from a name without a face. I've done it, enjoyed the convenience, marvelled at all the different stuff popping up in mailbox within minutes.

Have I interacted with people more deeply than that through mail-order trades? No.

Every single instance of a face-to-face trade was an adventure of going places, seeing people, having a conversation, sometimes haggling, sometimes topping off an order with a nice extra. Every single one face-to-face trade gives me something to remember another player by.

Now tell me, which kind of trade is more interactive again?

People get so addicted to exploits (and yes, selling towers and stuff is an exploit, don't tell me you didn't think the same the first time you heard of it), even take ownership of those, that they feel entitled to keeping them in the game forever.

Not everyone has the time to spend 4-5 hours sailing to pickup or deliver items.  This is a game to be enjoyed.

Also my first thought on hearing about the towers was not about an exploit but "Oh I like those designs, how come we don't get them in the game that *I* pay for.  One of those would look nice at my deed in Xanadu"

• Like 1

I've had more bad experiences with face to face delivery than good. Whether it's the issue of "Oh dear, I've got to go! I'm sorry you've been sailing for 3 hours, but I'll be back in a few days!", my own Internet going down, or even some jerk changing their mind about an order after I've taken the time to get to their place, there's just so much to go wrong, and so much time required. You also either have to find a time that works for both of you, or set up some elaborate scheme to drop off the items securely. It can be terrible.

• Like 2

I've had more bad experiences with face to face delivery than good. Whether it's the issue of "Oh dear, I've got to go! I'm sorry you've been sailing for 3 hours, but I'll be back in a few days!", my own Internet going down, or even some jerk changing their mind about an order after I've taken the time to get to their place, there's just so much to go wrong, and so much time required. You also either have to find a time that works for both of you, or set up some elaborate scheme to drop off the items securely. It can be terrible.

I agree. That's why we need more mechanics to support those kinds of trades - even when one party has to go offline. Because this is killing trade, and not one silly kind of item not being able to be mailed.

I've always ended up spending far too much time in one session than I had planned in my face-to-face trades. So far the players I traded with have been great, reliable players - all of them.

And sailing improvements - who isn't arguing for those?

• Like 1

Edited by Keeko

I believe, and I emphasis this is a wild guess, that Wurm thinks the mail system makes the game impersonal. Further, in an impersonal virtual world a player is less likely to form bonds with others. I've seen people comment that its the relationships a player forms which end up encouraging people to keep playing. Thus, the more impersonal NPC cervices we have less personal bonds the players form.

Some may argue that while the short term revenues will go up as people mail more, the long term may not be as good because less people form the bonds needed to stick around.

This whole mind set is what cause me to come up with a really cool idea!  Let players teleport between deeds and change a fee based on how many items your carrying. Just like how the mail system charges 10c to mail  an item, a toon could teleport to another deed with one item for 10c, 2 items is 20c, 3 items is 30c, etc....

Bam! Here we have solution that makes trade easier, fuels silver sales, encroaches face to face interaction.

Note, there are some people, like me, who could care less about forming bonds. I personally think people who want more face to face should choose to excrescences their rights and not use the mails system.  Unfortunately, some people think that others have to be forced to play the game their way for some reason.

• Like 2

I haven't ever sent or received an unfinished myself, so not affected, but the question remains of why was this implemented?

Yet again there a change made, apparently on a whim, with no reasoning given to explain it to the players.

If you told us "we don't want guard towers or obelisks to be mailable" or "this is sorta an exploit/unintended so we've gotten around to fixing it" then people will still rage, but at least they'll know why, and they'll probably rage less because of it. 

Keeping people in the dark, and angry at the same time, leads to resentment within the player base. Lets not go back to those days again, hmm?

EDIT: personally I would like mail to be entirely discontinued, and boat speeds increased, to encourage regional markets and trading, but that's never gonnna happen. =/

Edited by Delakar

If you want people to deliver goods instead of mailing them then they should implement a courier contract system like Eve Online.  You can either deliver the items yourself or you can pay for another player to come pick it up and deliver it all within a safe framework in the game system.  THAT gives immersion and interaction...

That would be awesome imo. People who already like travelling would make the perfect couriers!

This. Add this.Soon.

Here is what I want to know:  What's so special, or dangerous, or criminal about the Wurm mail system that it would remain in limbo literally for years with an occasional nerf here and there?  What is the genesis of this strange behavior that Wurm Online's mail system is so thoroughly borked beyond understanding or common sense???

I would really, really like to know from the one who truly knows his reasons.

• Like 3

It maybe just me, but I really don't know why Rolf doesn't have sleep powder that can be bought in the shop. It would make him a lot of money and people will have the choice or not to buy it. Fair enough it is on traders to buy, but with a smaller price tag it would sell really well in the shop.

I can see people may not like a change like this, but lets face it,power levelling will sleep bonus is still time consuming and not everyone would choose to do it this way or pay real cash to do so. It would be good to have that choice though.

Micro transaction are where most mmos make there money these days. I guess buying silver is a our micro transaction, but it would be nice to see some more.

A lot of people don't even buy prem, they pay for the game just in trading, so these people wouldn't even think twice in buying sleep powder from the shop.

Anyway, my 2cents. I don't think this would be game breaking at all

Edited by Milosanx
  • Like 2