Sign in to follow this  
Othob Rithol

New function on merchants to ease trading

10 members have voted

1. 1. Good Idea?

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea

Activate Merchant contract on any item (including writs, crates, carts and ships).

NPC is spawned and a pop-up requests a few key data points:

1. Price for the item.
  2. Who can purchase the item (all, friends, village, specific player by name)

At sale, the merchant departs, takes 10% of the sale price with the remainder is deposited in the seller's bank.

Vehicles and Writs change ownership to the buyer and have all permissions reset to default.

Until the item is sold, the seller can remove it at will but it is otherwise unmovable and non-interactive to other players on PvE servers. PvP servers might include an option to steal (?).

If the item is not bought within 21 days the merchant mails the seller a warning that they will depart soon.

If the item is left for a full 28 (or 30?) days, the merchant departs and the item behaves as normal.

Of all possible solutions I have read, this one seems to be the simplest algorithm. It still requires delivery or pick-up. It allows bulk sales in more than one way (a single crate, a whole shipload, or even a shack constructed around multiple bsbs). It does not require players meet up in person to make an exchange.

Similar suggestions:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/103632-merchants-can-hold-containers

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/105011-new-role-for-merchants

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/102795-job-boards-and-drop-boxes

Edited by Othob Rithol
  • Like 1

I'll give the idea a +1 solely because I would never disagree with expanding the functionality of a mechanic... but honestly, as far as this suggestion being a "fix" for our current mailing issues,  I think the much simpler solution is to lift the restrictions put on mailing.

Not strictly a "fix" attempt, just trying to fill a gap. I'm for the recent change but I'm also for removing the dumb weapon/tool limits on the mail system. But please, let's not turn this into another "revert the mail change" thread.

I don't care much for this being a merchant contract that could be tied down by one trade for weeks... perhaps this should be a separate item. Other than that, wholehearted +1!

Edited by Marshlander

Mostly I suggested using the merchant contract because the item already exists and this is a similar use. The intended primary function (avoiding in person meetups) should resolve quickly in general, with the only time weeks transpire being when it's used as an "anyone can buy" to sell something to a passerby. I really don't think we want to see markets spammed with temporary merchants selling a single crate each, so the expense seems justified imho.

I'm all for anything that makes selling and buying easier. Let everyone get their commerce done, more money to devs, and people who don't want to trade quickly can still do it any other way they want to.

Personally with the Ships/boats, wagons and large carts, I would like to see no-drop upon death ownership papers that could be placed on merchants to sell the item.  Say for instance if a ship is purchased from a merchant, the ownership of the ship transfers to the person that bought it with no actual player intervention needed. and to be able to place the ship for sail, it would need to be within a certain radius of the said merchant (say like 100 tiles for instance) otherwise you would not be able to place it on the merchant.  Those ownership (title) papers could also be traded in person or even mailed to a new owner and the owner name updated when it enters the receiver's inventory.  That would make more sense to me than having to spend all this time trying to contact each other when you are in time zones that differ say 12 hrs.  Sometimes in this game it is damn near impossible to do a trade without putting one or both people into a time conflict one or more ways.  Wurm may see everyone on one schedule, but real life does not.