Sign in to follow this  
Aaron_IRL

Sailing in a Breeze

This game is different things to different people.  To me it is a combination of crafting & creativity when it comes to working my deed, and a huge world to explore.  The deed part is working for me right now, but the exploration part has died.

More often than not there is only some variation of a breeze.  To me this equates to going no where.   Then if I do happen to catch a time when there is a strong wind or gale, it changes too soon.   Either by the time I get loaded and ready to explore, or halfway into my trip, the wind drops to a breeze.

All of that to say, please do something with the base speed that ships move.  What is the point to having all of this expansive world if it completely sucks to explore it at 4 km/h or less.

• Like 8

Took me 40 minutes to do the return trip of a delivery that took me over 2 hours yesterday.

Wind didn't rotate at all Northeast yesterday, Northeast today. Only change is that it went from Strong breeze to strong Wind. Basically i spent yesterday 2 hours of going against wind, making my best to try and get to decent speeds (which usually also means doing a longer route), but crossing canals and straights in Deli, meant that i had to go straight into the wind at times, so spent a good deal of time at 5kmh.

Sailing needs a lot of improvements. For example, docking or undocking my ships is always a freaking headache. Cause it will more often than not be blow ashore by the wind, or if i do it like today, that i docked it, then turned it by hand, i ended up (even though i was pressing the key to go backwards) 3 tiles ahead of where i started in the time it took me to activate the anchor, right click the boat and click moor.

• Like 1

Wurm has become the game where you want to go places, you want to see and do stuff but you can't because if you have even the slightest hint at a real life you don't have the time to go anywhere by boat.

The game world has increased in size but nothing has been done to compensate for this.

• Like 8

"I don't expect any disco balls to drop from the mast the second I hoist the anchor.  Why should you?"

I'm perfectly complacent with the workings of sailing and other mechanics pertaining to it.

-100 (cause it's the interwebs and I can)

Edited by Nomadikhan

should do away with breezes, would improve wurm like 100%

should do away with breezes, would improve wurm like 100%

Problem isn't breezes. I mean thank god yesterday (in the situation i described earlier) it was a strong breeze and not a strong wind... Problem is even boats with triangular sails (that should still be speedy in adverse winds) get slowed down the same as all the others on those. We need less penalties on adverse winds and/or what's been suggested for years (since i started playing pretty much) which is the choice for variable sail parameters (so for instance you have a wind coming against you, you can hoist the sails for a lower speed penalty (mostly for knarrs), or you could switch sails, or whatnot to go faster, not a sailor, so people into it should be able to explain better).

But it makes no sense that a person has to spend 10 minutes to dock in a gale, because you keep being fragged to shore. Sure that's what you might expect in reality, but there's such thing as too much realism in games.

Docking, you'd have the sailors chucking ropes, sails hoisted so the wind only gently pushes you... also harbors tend to be in bays to protect them from waves and currents (hence the subconscious urge ppl get to make L-shaped docks when their harbor is exposed).  Also dropping the anchor halfway to slow oneself down, mules to pull ships/barges up rivers back in the oooooooold days.

Problem sailing has right now is that once a light breeze kicks in, light breeze can stick for 48+ hours, or may be gale in 2 hours (HAH.. yeah... 2 hours after the 40hr mark), but the direction will stick pretty much all week.  If it's about realism, for starters winds should switch to generally opposite directions at night.  Also, while ships did get becalmed in the ages of sails, it was a freak occurrence, not the bloody norm for half the year.

Don't believe me, try to light a cigarette on a boat in any body of water larger than a small pond.  As a smoker, take my word for it... light breeze at sea is RARE.  Even lakes get strong winds because (science alert) there are no obstacles to slow the wind down, and as it'll go down the path of least resistance, that actually adds a bit to their strength from the extra air that's "dodging around the island".

To quote a very wise man (me): Light breeze was good for when it was all small servers and the clusters were separated, added a sense of "scale" to the world by lengthening travel.  Now that Xanadu's connected everything, it goes from "immersion" to "unnecessary annoyance".  Wurm already mostly CONSISTS of unnecessary annoyances, including where actual skillgain's occurrence is RNG-determined.  Light breeze, along with that genius mailbox change from today, that's just trying to cull the playerbase further.

• Like 4

Light breeze, along with that genius mailbox change from today, that's just trying to cull the playerbase further.

With every update, I keep wondering if that's the plan.  :huh:

Personally I would like a little adventure to sailing.  maybe some large (I mean LARGE) waves to rattle you a bit during gales or maybe more so during storms.  Imagine being out at sea and a storm hits and you see a wave 2 stories high, that lifts you up high and then you come barreling down the other side with accelerated speed, just to hit another.  Now that would be sailing and adventure in travel.  It may make a few people sea sick, but  they would be ok, enetually, maybe...well who cares, bring on that roller coaster ride!!!! hahahaha

Might as well bump this thread since I am currently sailing across Xanadu in a light breeze.  It's not like I don't have the time.  :angry:

Might as well bump this thread since I am currently sailing across Xanadu in a light breeze.  It's not like I don't have the time.  :angry:

lol, last time I sailed from Pristine to Independence it took 12+ hours of active sailing. Couldn't go afk for very long either because the southern border of Xanapoo kicks you off the boat without warning and it's hard to tell when you're close to it.

I was in a cog with the maximum amount of passengers and I just feel that never again shall I go to Pristine. Going across Xanapoo in the lag will most likely never be worth the hassle.

Logged in and re subbed the other day after a lengthy hiatus full of inspiration and with the aim to start a new home.

I was in the middle of xanadu northern sea and decided to turn back to a smaller, less leggy server in hopes of finding a good place to set up. The weather however had other plans. It demanded that I sail 8km/h the entire way.

I was unfamiliar with weather on the various servers as I never did much interserver travel. Over the course of days the wind stayed at 'light breeze from northeast' or what ever regardless of the server I passed through.

Finally I got fed up after reaching Independence (after a circle around deli).

Don't get me wrong. I have always loved wurm for how open and expansive it is and sea travel in a gale is magnificent but 8km/h is on par with a rowboat x.x

I'm just bummed out that with my limited time to play these days and for the money I dropped on preming up that I'm spending 100% of my time so far just traveling due to a low odds weather system and slow ships.

+9001

Edit: and 8km/h is good compared to the 1 km and 2 km I've had in the past ^^;

Edited by Kristoff